Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Discharge Papers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jonathan O'Donovan, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Jonathan O'Donovan

Jonathan O'Donovan New Member

I was hoping someone could help me decipher some details from my granduncle, George Donovan's discharge papers:-

George fought in the 105th Infantry Regiment on Makin, Saipan and Okinawa during WWII. He was honourably discharged in New York on 22nd December 1945.

Q1 - His papers say under the 'Reason and Authority for Separation' section - "Certificate of Disability for Discharge Section 1 AR 615-361 4 Nov 1944 and 1st Indorsement ASF Convalescent Hospital (ZI) Camp Upton NY 22 Dec 1945."
    What does this mean? I know he was sent to the 98th Portable Surgical Hospital in Okinawa in August 1945 but have no idea what for. Medical records from a decade later state he suffered from chronic bronchitis and a continual cough.

Q2 - In the 'Remarks' section - "Separated from Service on a Partial Service Record and Affidavit from Soldier." He was drafted into the army in 1942 and was supposed to stay until the end of the war plus six months. Is that why it is referred to as a "Partial Service Record"?

Q3 - In the 'Battles and Campaign' section he is referred to as having being involved in the "Western Pacific", "Southern Philippines" and "Luzon" campaigns but an Order of Battle from the 105th Infantry Regiment states that their campaigns were "Central Pacific", "Western Pacific" and "Ryukyus". I know he was with the 105th from start to finish and was never transferred out of it. Would discharge papers include mistakes like this?

Any help on any of these points would be much appreciated. I'm trying to get as clear an idea of George's service and discharge as possible.

Thanking you,

Jonathan.

2. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

It seems unlikely that the discharge papers would contain such errors. I can't decipher what Q1 and Q2 mean. Can you post an image of the papers? We have some pretty smart people here and a picture would be easier to read.

3. Jonathan O'Donovan

Hi Lou,

Many thanks for the reply. Please see attached George's Discharge Papers.

Regards,

Jonathan.

Attached Files:

4. Takao

Takao Ace

It means that there was some kind of medical condition(physical injury or mental condition(PTSD)) that qualified him for discharge from the service. I did not see a Purple Heart listed in "Decorations and Citations", so if it was a physical injury, it was not combat related - auto accident, plane crash, job accident, etc.
    An earlier discussion about this: Deciphering Discharge Report

At some point, shortly after his return to the States, he was at the convalescent hospital at Camp Upton, and received their OK(endorsement) for discharge.

Correct, he is being discharged earlier than he was contracted for, hence the Partial Service.

Remember that you are looking at an individual soldier and his battle record, hence the discrepancy between the units campaigns/battles and those of your relative. Not all elements of the 105th participated in the Gilberts invasion. However, I would be curious as to why he missed Saipan. Also, if your relative received his medically disabling injury on or about 4 November, 1944, as it appears in his record...He would not have participated in the battles in the Ryukyus.

Have you tried applying for his medical records?

5. Jonathan O'Donovan

Thanks for the information Takao. Much appreciated. I have Morning Reports which show that he was on Saipan and Okinawa. He is mentioned by name in them. I think the 4th November 1944 could be the date when these new regulations regarding discharge came into force / were passed.
    I have medical records which refer to his chronic bronchitis which must have gotten progressively worse after the war. He died in 1955 from cancer and other complications aged 48.