Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

do people make fun of u 4 knowing so much about ww2?

Discussion in 'The Members Lounge' started by Revere, Jul 11, 2005.

1. Revere

Revere New Member

via TanksinWW2
    well yes
    they just think i need a life out side of history and xc

2. Christian Ankerstjerne

Christian Ankerstjerne Member

via TanksinWW2
    As long as it's not XTC ;)

I really don't care about what people say. Sure, they often make fun of me (especialy when hearing about how much money I spend), but they usualy back up if I begin a philosophical discussion about the purpose of hobbies (which involves a discussion on the meaning of life and religion) :p

Christian

3. Stonewall phpbb3

Stonewall phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Ha Ha , I had someone in the office make fun of me for knowing so much :

Roman History
    Civil War history
    English history
    WWII history

etc...

They also tease me about having spent money on education...

I had a good laugh about it with my second assistant, who is their bosses, bosses, boss.

LOL

4. Ricky

Ricky Well-Known Member

via TanksinWW2
    Oh yes.
    But I tend to get my revenge by ruining their enjoyment of films like Troy... :D

5. Ebar

Ebar New Member

On a space station in geosynchronous orbit above y
    via TanksinWW2
    I spend a lot of time hanging around with wargamers who tend to regard WW2 as a bit too mainstream. Their idea of obscure knowledge is the uniforms of 5th Century Burmese spearmen. :roll:

6. Ricky

Ricky Well-Known Member

via TanksinWW2
    Is that a spearman of the Pyu Dynsaty? :D

7. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Made fun of, maybe a little bit, but mostly with the undertone that it's best not to try debating WW2 with me since I know way more than they do. ;)

People usually approach me with respect for my knowledgeabilty even if they think of what I know a lot about as pointless and dead. I couldn't ask for anything more, I guess. Over here I get the good stuff! :D

8. Boba Nette

Boba Nette New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I get my balls busted about everything I like.

1.When seen reading my commercial aviation magazines,evey idiot would ask me"Are ya buying a plane?"

2.Mountain biking and dirt biking.I'm told that I'm nuts and will kill myself someday.

3.Many people frown on the fact that at 34 I still enjoy building models.
    My 18 year old sister thought I'd lost it when I showed her how I used celery flakes to simulate fallen leaves in an AT-ST diorama I did.

4.Recently a friend saw the tank pics on my computer and condescendingly muttered"Boys!".

9. cheeky_monkey

cheeky_monkey New Member

via TanksinWW2
    im big enuff and bad enuff too look after myself...so no is the answer..no one makes fun of my interests...maybe its also that i have a wide field of different interests.

i would say..correct me if im wrong...that i am totally different in my background and interests than the vast majority of people who are interested in history and ww2.

10. Oli

Oli New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I found that as a school kid I got made fun of, but the more adult I got (and my contemporaries) the more it was accepted, although there are the occasional people who have decided that I'm a warmonger or pro-war because I have an interest in military technology.
    But like Ricky, ruining other people's enjoyment of war films is half the fun - when I was married my wife would look at the TV listings and announce that that night's war film could be either watched or have its faults pointed out, but not both... :lol:
    It also came in handy at work, I have no interest in football and once, after the fifth person asked who I fancied in the world cup, I sent a company-wide e-mail announcing that one more football related remark to me would result in a lecture to the entire firm on the less interesting aspects of the history of the development of Russian inter-war tanks. Strangely enough that was the last I heard of the entire thing (I still don't know, or care, who won).

11. Canadian_Super_Patriot

Canadian_Super_Patriot recruit

via TanksinWW2
    They don't make fun of me ,people in my history class are kind of perplexed i know so much , and i impress the teacher. If you knew a lot about star wars or star trek people would make fun of you ;)

12. Ricky

Ricky Well-Known Member

via TanksinWW2
    It is odd - you can have an encyclopedic knowledge of your football team, but if you can string 2 facts together about Star Trek then you are 'sad'... :-?

13. Kellhound

Kellhound New Member

via TanksinWW2
    At 14 it was me who gave a lecture at history class while the teacher rested. :D
    Not very detailed, back then, but i didn't had much money for books :lol:

14. cheeky_monkey

cheeky_monkey New Member

via TanksinWW2
    brazil beat germany 2-0 (ronaldo got a brace) now you do :lol:

15. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Well, at least a football team is an existing thing, and the people in it are real... Star Wars or Star Trek fans are sad only if they fail to distinguish between what is real and what is, and should remain, fiction.

16. sonofecthelion

sonofecthelion New Member

via TanksinWW2
    But, but, my LOTR.... :cry:

17. Hoosier phpbb3

Hoosier phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Sturmtiger:
    I'm now 50yrs old and building my best models ever. (So long as the light in my magnifier continues to burn brightly.) I just can't see those details as well as I used to...

Tim

18. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    IfThey fail to distinguish... There's a condition, so you don't have to worry I guess.

19. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    But the thing is most people don't bother to attempt to find out whether you fall into the category of those for who it's an interesting distraction and those for who it's a substitute for real life.

The word "Football" means your an interesting one of the lads, the words "Star-Trek" mean your automatically a sad case.

(BTW, no I'm not a Trekkie but some of my friends at school were).

Along similar lines I had a discussion with a friend a while back, she wanted to know why I was "so bloody obsessed with war and guns?" When I replied that it was just what I was interested in she made another comment, and I replied that if it was Golf or Football I was interested in it would be considered a hobby, so why because it's the military is it considered an "obsession"?

20. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    People should take the words of S. B. Griffiths to heart, which he wrote in his introduction to his translation of Sun Tzu's "The Art of War" and which I have memorized because of their crucial importance in explaining this hobby:

"War is not a transitory abberation but a recurrent conscious act and therefore susceptible to rational analysis."