Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Do you know what a "Bushmaster" is?

Discussion in 'Military Training, Doctrine, and Planning' started by Victor Gomez, Jun 14, 2014.

1. Victor Gomez

Victor Gomez Ace

"No greater combat fighting team has ever deployed for battle." is how General MacArthur referred to this group of infantry fighters. Why would he say that? Please read a description of what made up this multicultural new creation. Most of us know about the "Code Talkers" but this is yet another vista of another native American contribution which combined with others to make something unique, originating in Arizona. With the many elements that made up the 158th, they distinguished themselves in WWII, as you may read in this wiki. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/158th_Infantry_Regiment_%28United_States%29

2. Sheldrake

Sheldrake Member

I haven't read the context, but it is not unknown for Generals to say all sorts of things to develop morale and unit pride. That was particularly true of soldiers from segregated units or recruited from a specific ethnicity or culture. Patton is on record as having said lots of nice things about a black armoured battalion which he may have tried hard to not have under his command.

The story of the US 92nd Infantry division in Italy illustrates some of the problems the US experienced getting the best from their segregated black soldiers. It is said that one the officers of the 8th (Indian) Diviison which restored the situation remarked that the Americans had a lot to learn about getting the best from "native troops." The British Empire was run on racist and segregated principles, but its African and Indian troops were encouraged to believe that their background and traditions made them exceptionally good soldiers. ( A judgement supported by their record in action and evidenced by a string of battle honours and awards.)

In Ww1 native Americans were regarded by the US army as "honorary Europeans" and served in white units, while afro-Americans were segregated and the only black infantry seem to have served under French command. Were the WW2 native american units, the wind talkers and bushmasters another way to segregated?

3. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

Yes, the particular "Bushmaster" in question is Lachesis stenophrys, a deadly snake the 158th learned about during it\s jungle training in Panama. They adopted the snake's name as their nickname.

[​IMG]

The 158th had a respectable but rather average combat record. No particularly noteworthy actions, certainly nothing to rate General MacArthur's accolade.

4. Victor Gomez

Victor Gomez Ace

Self correction here.......they did indeed distinguish themselves in WWII but this infantry group served from the days of the border raids of Pancho Villa, WWI, WWII and Afghanistan as well so I was understating their service just because I tend to focus on WWII. Glad to see there is another post re-running a larger discussion of the 158th.....and soon I hope everyone knows who makes up this group known as the "Bushmasters". Also I think it is important to note that MacArthur's statement came after reviewing their service in the Pacific(too late to be a motivating accolade), so I doubt that it was an empty accolade....{"Reflecting on their important role in helping win the war in the Pacific, General Douglas MacArthur described the Bushmasters as “the greatest fighting combat team ever deployed for battle.”}

5. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Also the name given to Australia's idea of a light APC...Used in Afghanistan...

6. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Lately, would consider myself a bushmaster. Just sayin'. woop woop

And then there is the 25mm Bushmaster: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kb6KsYE4X3I