Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Documentary movies and series

Discussion in 'The Members Lounge' started by Notmi, Jul 27, 2004.

1. Notmi

Notmi New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Here we could suggest some documentary movies and series etc about warfare and history of war.

My favourites are BBC's World at War and Discovery channels "Weapons of War"
    Discovery channels series called "Tanks" was quite good too.

2. Ebar

Ebar New Member

On a space station in geosynchronous orbit above y
    via TanksinWW2
    Discovery's Battlefield series isn't bad but they do tend to put them on at stupid times

3. Danyel Phelps

Danyel Phelps Active Member

via TanksinWW2
    Television Documentaries are largly full of @#$% I find.

4. Ebar

Ebar New Member

On a space station in geosynchronous orbit above y
    via TanksinWW2
    When you find yourself correcting a TV documentary, as I did recently with one about Jutland, then its time to acknowledge that you know more about a given subject than any sane man should.

5. Notmi

Notmi New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Thats why I'd like to know which documentaries are good and which aren't that good.
    Anyway, there is one good thing about documentaries: They usually show some films about those warmachines etc. Some documentaries are worth looking at because that rare material.
    Unfortunatelly some of that material is so rare that it is used in several documentaries, I can remember seeing one caption in atleast 4 different documentaries. And one caption twice, once showing how German industry is preparing for war and another time showing British industry doing the same thing...

Ebar, just remembered that I have some episodes of that Battlefield-series too...

6. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I know many of the Tanks and Weapons of War series documentaries, and I find that what they say is true, but only a very very small part of the whole picture. They only have time to give you the basics, and some details if they have the right footage, but that's it. Maps are vague, units are quickly named and thence not referred to, names are only mentioned once somewhere in the beginning so you forget to memorize them. And then of course there's the annoying bit of repeating the main lines of what's been said, after each commercial.