Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Does anyone know what this pack frame is for?

Discussion in 'Uniforms, Personal Gear (Kit) and Accessories' started by Morg308, Jun 14, 2014.

1. Morg308

Morg308 New Member

Okay gents. I have a bit of a pack fetish, and found this on ebay several years ago. I have tried to figure out what it is for, and am 90% sure it is for a radio set, but have never been able to find either the radio set or a pic of it mounted. What is odd to me is the near 60 degree angle of the back. It is clearly not a field expedient set-up, and I am positive that there is a reenactor or historian out there somewhere looking for this thing. It's the only one I've ever seen.

It says ST-28 on one of the straps, but the markings on the pistol belt (which is riveted to the frame) are illegible - at least to me. The wire thickness of the frame is similar to the 1st pattern M1941 Mountain packs, but it is very different. If it is not a radio pack, then I am thinking medic. I've seen similar setups, but still looked different. It's too bad it got separated - I have no clue what goes on it.

My goal here is not to assign a value, but to find out what the damn thing is and simply get it to the person who needs it to complete their project. I am not going to just give it to the first person who asks for it, but if someone knows what this is and has a demonstratable need for it, (ie: has all the other parts except the frame) it's theirs gratis. Please help me solve this riddle. Pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Slipdigit likes this.
  2. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

This is just a guess, but I think you might have a cable laying pack with the spool missing. Thousands of poor bastards were humping wire around everywhere to connect units by phone.

3. Morg308

Morg308 New Member

That's an interesting theory, and might explain the extreme angle of the frame. I have never seen a pic of the complete setup though - does anyone have one?

4. agustinsaiz

agustinsaiz New Member

custom made!!!

5. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

The strap looks like Reel equipment model one used for the CE-11 (TM 11-250) . There is picture of a similar strap on a circular reel in Henri Paul Enjames'sbook