Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Dog Green Sector ect.. Germans Reaction?

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by PactOfSteel, Feb 29, 2008.

Tags:
  1. PactOfSteel

PactOfSteel Dishonorably Discharged

2. Tomcat

Tomcat The One From Down Under

Watch the movie 'The longest day' and look at the reaction of the German commander in the bunker when he sees the amarda over the horizon, and then the shelling starts. He tries to convince the higher command that they are there but his commander says that cant possibly be.

3. PactOfSteel

-haha that is funny, yeah I remember. But the soldiers in the bunkers that were defending the beaches, I wonder if they actually thought they could repel them or if they were just trying to kill as many as they could.

4. Tomcat

Is there a difference between the two:D
    I don't know if this is true but I watched one documentary on the MG42 and it was said that one Machine Gun nest on omaha beach killed over 1000 pf the american soldiers there, if that isn't them just trying to kill as many as possible I don't know what is.

But I do not know what they would have thought, there commanders wouldn't really have told them much of the overall position of the German war or how it is going due to moral problems and plain propaganda issues.

5. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

We have discussed this in this thread :)

Beast of Omaha

http://www.ww2f.com/wwii-general/20154-beast-omaha.html

6. topyob

topyob Member

I've seen the documentary with the MG42 gunner a couple of times. He meets with a GI and a British landing craft coxwain who were also there that morining. I have even been to Omaha beach and stood in the Mg gunners tiny bunker. He had a perfectly uninterupted view of the incoming invasion. As there were no tanks or heavy equipment on the beach due to all the Duplex Drive Shermans being launched too far out he must have been pretty confident of knocking them back into the sea and according to what I have read about Bradley's thinking at the time, they came within a hairs breadth of doing it. l think it safe to say that had all defenders been determined Germans like this one instead of Ost battalions etc. D Day may have turned out differently or at least been much more costly. Remember they were expecting 50% casualties on D Day across the 50 mile front.

7. FramerT

FramerT Ace

The average German soldier probably felt the same as their commrades sitting in a bunker or foxhole when Bagration commenced.

8. Vince Noir

Vince Noir Member

"Oh Bugger" - A Germans thoughts on D-Day.

9. T. A. Gardner

T. A. Gardner Genuine Chief

I would imagine that the German reaction varied anywhere from outright panic, to fear, to resignation, to relief. I would also think most were not thinking about whether they, themselves, could throw the invasion back but were rather just concentrating on their particular job at the moment or, in the case of those under fire their survival.

10. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

Exactly. In that type of situation it comes down to you and them and you want to live.

11. PactOfSteel

the History channel just had a repeat of one of their D-Day documentaries and they said one MG-42 nest killed over 1,000 American G.I.'s. Exactly how much ammo did they have in those bunkers? I mean they much have gone through a ton of ammo.

12. Tomcat

Just a curious question to some of you, do you read all the posts before replying? Because this statmenet and answer has already been discussed in this thread, because I meantioned it and was politly shown another thread concerning it, so does this mean you didn't read either of the two posts pactof steel?:confused:

13. T. A. Gardner

T. A. Gardner Genuine Chief

Obviously, someone isn't reading links or threads. This idea of one guy with a machinegun at WN 62 killed...KILLED 1000 + soldiers is absurd. If The Discovery Channel is putting this on a documentary as fact then they need to fire their research and copy departments for not doing even a minimum of checking. It took me all of five minutes, if that, to look up in three or four books a map of Ohama beach, the location of WN 62 and what landed within 1000 yards of that position along with the casualties that the US suffered.
    As I have pointed out this claim is completely absurd. US casualties, killed, wounded, missing....THE TOTAL CASUALTIES SUFFERED.... don't amount to 1000 men. So, how some guy with a machinegun could have caused that many is simply fantasy or delusional. This guy likely killed a couple dozen men, wounded maybe as many as 50 to 100 and that's it. He probably didn't get that many. Will we ever know the exact count? No. But, one thing is for sure he didn't get 1000 + like he claims.

Slipdigit likes this.
  14. FramerT

FramerT Ace

I don't have an exact figure, but I think the average landing craft carried roughly 30 troops.
    So that would mean roughly 30-some landing craft landed in front of this guys gun to kill 1000 troops. Even more if he "missed" a few.
    It just does'nt add up.

15. Sadprofessor65

Sadprofessor65 Member

My old school toutor and family freinds grandfather served as an office at Omaha I was able to speak to him breifly before his passing and he knew my passion for history and shard some of it with me. He said his first thought upon the barrage lifting and seeing the boats was that he would die. How ever he said he would take every man with him he could. He ended up being pulled back by the higher ups though and lived.

16. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

I don't think he did tomcat. Of course in the other thread had more of a rebuttal.

17. tommy tater

tommy tater Member

an mg42 could fire up to 1500 rounds per minute so it could be possible

18. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

Only if every German soldier had a MG-42 LOL.You might want to read the "Beast of Omaha" thread and learn alittle more.

19. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

BTW here is a information request for you. Care to post the source(s) which state that Stalin was considering surrendering because the Allies were being too slow? I think some here would like to know.

20. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

My vote goes for delusional.