Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Dr John Clayton

Discussion in 'Roll of Honor & Memories - All Other Conflicts' started by GRW, Feb 21, 2016.

  1. GRW

    GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

    Oct 26, 2003
    Likes Received:
    Stirling, Scotland
    "Dr John Clayton, who has died aged 94, was a former Surgeon Apothecary to the Royal Household at Windsor and to the Queen Mother at Royal Lodge, and for many years school doctor at Eton College.
    In his role as the Queen Mother’s doctor, it was he who was called to Royal Lodge in November 1982 when a fish bone became lodged in her throat. He immediately insisted that she be taken to the King Edward VII Hospital at Windsor, where she made a speedy recovery.
    Clayton was the youngest son of Brigadier-General Sir Gilbert Clayton, a British Army intelligence officer and colonial administrator in Cairo praised by TE Lawrence as “the perfect leader for such a band of wild men as we were”. His father’s involvement with the Middle East made a deep impression on young John, who took a lasting interest in the Arab world.
    John Pilkington Clayton was born on February 13 1921 at Ryde, on the Isle of Wight, one of five siblings, two of whom he never knew because they died in childhood. His brother Sam married Lady Mary Leveson-Gower, a maternal cousin of the Queen. After his father’s death in 1929, the family moved to Doddington, Lincolnshire, finally settling at Hampton Court, where his mother, Lady Clayton, a gifted artist, had a “grace and favour” apartment.
    His early life was peripatetic and took him to Jerusalem, where on one occasion he inadvertently tolled a bell making the locals think the Turks were invading, and on another he encountered Emperor Haile Selassie of Ethiopia on a train. The emperor’s brother gave him piggy-back rides along the corridor of the steamer taking them back to Cairo.
    John was educated at Wellington and was a choral exhibitioner at Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge. He qualified in Medicine at the Royal Colleges of Surgeons and Physicians in 1945, then served in the medical branch of the RAF Voluntary Reserve from 1947 to 1949, reaching the rank of squadron leader. During the Malay Emergency he drove a jeep ambulance."

Share This Page