Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Dunkirk

Discussion in 'WWII Books & Publications' started by Oliphaunt, Jan 25, 2004.

1. Oliphaunt

Oliphaunt Member

hey there.. i was wondering if you guys could recommend a good book about Dunkirk for me to read.. preferably something that doesnt skip over the preceding campaign too much.
    alsoi'd like to know why it was that Hitler halted the panzers short of the beach-head.. i've heard conflicting answers to that one.

2. No.9

No.9 Ace

Re halting the Panzers, their advance was going well and very quickly. The British made a counter attack around Arras which, while not decisive, gave the Germans a sound kick up the pants and troop transports a fair mauling. It showed their rapid advance had vulnerabilities.

The Germans elected to have a 3 day hold-up while logistics and forces caught-up with the advance and they could form-up and advance in strength with a plan that fitted the circumstances and their rapid gains.

No.9

[ 26. January 2004, 12:09 AM: Message edited by: No.9 ]

3. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

Why don't you try Robert Jackson's "Dunkirk". Good book, cheap and easy to find.

And there's of course Alistair Horne's "To lose a battle" to know how it came to Dunkirk.

And about the halt decision, why don't you have a look in here: Dunkirk ;)

4. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

The best book on Dunkirk I ever read was "Dinkirk" and I think it was by Walter Lord. Currently a reprint is out on it.