Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Eastwood:'America Has Gone Soft'

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by Lias_Co_Pilot, Dec 15, 2008.

1. Lias_Co_Pilot

Lias_Co_Pilot Member

Eastwood: 'America Has Gone Soft'

14 December 2008 5:29 PM, PST
    [​IMG]
    Clint Eastwood sorely misses his tough youth, insisting America has gone soft since.
    The 78-year-old actor claims life was simpler and easier in his upbringing during the depression - when problems were solved using fists rather than a therapist's couch.
    Eastwood tells the January edition of Esquire magazine, "Everyone's become used to saying, 'Well, how do we handle it psychologically?'
    "In those days you punched the bully back and duked it out. People were tougher then.
    "I was a shy kid. But a lot of my childhood was spent punching the bullies out."

2. ozjohn39

ozjohn39 Member

Agree 100%

(and America's enemies, and friends, know it!)

John

3. lwd

lwd Ace

Nope. Bimodal though.

4. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

To be honest Eastwood has gone soft and has started remembering the good ole days...

5. T. A. Gardner

T. A. Gardner Genuine Chief

A good start at fixing it is insulting the Leftist of your choice with four letter words and brutal honesty. It is very cathartic.

6. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

Nah, I would not say soft.

7. bigfun

bigfun Ace

Come over here and call me soft.........................Nancy!

8. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Eastwood is correct-and I wish he would have thought to add that America now has gone too politically correct.

9. bigfun

bigfun Ace

Well I'll admit that this country on the whole is way too PC! But I sill believe that there are more of us tough country boys than there are of those "metrosexual" "nancy boys"!

10. Richard

Richard Expert

Bad news (real) men of America your days are numbered! :eek:

American men are becoming gay & liberal in touch with the women inside them. Bit of a debate here on the radio about a book that is coming out about the end of real men. Some good news, you better turn things around and you got about hundred years.

11. bigfun

bigfun Ace

Is that how long it took for you guys? :p

12. Richard

Richard Expert

You calling me a wet liberal in a dress?

Come across the pond and say that. I've headbutt you, hang on the Scots do that. I mean chin you & kick you in the crown jewls. :fwap::dazed:

13. bigfun

bigfun Ace

Liberal in a wet dress, dang....i should have thought of that!

14. Richard

Richard Expert

:lol: :rofl:

Real men drink beer, pee up a tree and stink of body odor and shoot wild animals for lunch. :D

From what I was told. ;)

urqh likes this.
  15. T. A. Gardner

T. A. Gardner Genuine Chief

16. Richard

Richard Expert

We had a bit of a laugh in the office bouncing book titles off each other and heres some of them.....

Men wear beards not dresses.

Real men hunt and fart.

Real men enjoy Penthouse not women's weekly.

17. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

The whole 'real man' thing makes me laugh, particularly since the 'real man' was pretty much made up and has never really existed except in a few very odd individuals. It is also worth noting that throughout the centuries people have claimed that the current generation is less manly be it due to welfare (1900-present), fashion (17th-19th centuries), having fun (the commonwealth) or engaging in pederastry enough (ancient Greece).

People should stop worrying, the 'real men' are rare indeed and hardly ever live up to expectations when you look at their private lives, when it comes down to it the only 'real real men' are too busy working to attract attention and the British ones at least wouldn't want the attention anyhow, they keep their heads down, get on with their lives and look after their families, frankly if there is anything more manly and praiseworthy than that I have yet to see it.

I can't decide whether Eastwood is a complete moron or whether I have missunderstood. Is he honestly saying that the problem with America is that people have started looking for ways other than violence to solve problems? People were tougher, they were also ill educated, starving, more likely to die young and managed to bring mankind to the verge of extinction (not just America but the generation to which he refers in the world as a whole).

Frankly when it comes to being 'tough' and fighty the US isn't doing a bad job at the moment, though with the current state of international affairs it seems really ironic for an American icon to talk about punching bullies...

18. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

Oh you are awful....but I like you....

Now the author of that statement, a Brit comic...now he was a real man...Eastwood eat yer heart out.

Real men change nappies.

19. RAM

RAM Member

If you want to find out, you can find some of the answers in this book:

Amazon.com: Stiffed: The Betrayal of Modern Man: Susan Faludi: Books

And it's not only America that has gone soft, the whole western culture has. Western malehood is going down the drain. The rest of the world, especially the muslims, are laughing at western males!

And if you stand up fight for your values they call you a dinosaur.

RAM

20. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

Jeez, what a bunch of loose stool water! Firstly I have yet to see evidence of the rest of the world 'laughing' at western males beyond a few insults in propaganda videos and quite frankly that doesn't bother me that much. It's just more of this paranoia that everyone in the world is against us. Frankly the manly thing to do is to suck it in and ignore it.

That said, the book looks interesting, I particularly like this line from the review:

"Yet it is this very pose of control that prevents men from seeing their dilemma as a human crisis of powerlessness in modern society (one women recognized long ago) and collectively acting to change their situation. Instead, they howl at the moon to recapture their masculinity or lash out at supposed enemies."

Interesting with reference to the sentiment above!

Sure, the paradigm of what a man should be has changed. We have no decent role models, gone are the days when boys wanted to be Dan Dare or Alan Quartermain, bravely taking on the world with a strict code of how to behave. Between billionaires like Bill Gates on one side and celebrities like Beckham and assorted reality TV idiots on the other there is no example worth living up to. Obviously the problem runs further back than that, men don't know what they should be.

Eastwood is wrong, being a violent 'tough-guy' who 'dukes it out' when they have a problem isn't the way forward, violence has it's place frankly nine times out of ten it causes more harm than good. On the other hand that doesn't mean you have to be some flouncy goon, wetter than a fishes wet bits. There must be some kind of happy medium, where men can be tough without being morons, be caring and understanding without being pathetic. It's just a shame there is no standard being set worth living up to.

macrusk and Miguel B. like this.