Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Eastwood:'America Has Gone Soft'

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by Lias_Co_Pilot, Dec 15, 2008.

1. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

Troy Tempest, Virgil Tracey, Captain Scarlet, some of the best examples of mens men ever to walk the planet....

2. WotNoChad?

WotNoChad? Member

3. RAM

RAM Member

As a matter of fact my son is an army sergeant serving with an artillery batalion at the moment.
    He applied for service in Afghanistan earlier this year and was ready to go when our leftist government decided to cut back on men in service over there.
    He still has his application pending, and I don't want my son to dodge his responsibility by sending some other guy instead of him.

And with Gordon Dork as a prime minister you are pulling out of Iraq, aren't you, leaving the fighting to the US.

Concerning your rethoric about the book, I see no point in discussing it as long as you haven't read it.

RAM

4. urqh

Good, they should never have been there in the first place but thats another matter.

What fighting exactly will the US be taking over from the Brits in their area?

Havent they also recently give due notice of their own pullout...whos left to do this fighting?

By the way, there is nothing to stop your son applying for secondment to the Brit forces in Afghanistan, not under Nato and Britishrules...must be one of Norwegian laws?

We have many Nato and commonwealth forces seconded to the Brit forces in Afghanistan.

If your a Nato serviceman, there are plenty of ways to get seconded to the Brit forces out there..Dont see why any one would want to myself, but again another matter. But hey the thing will still be going on for a while yet...theres time for you to get your family involved.

Come and join us the water is lovely.

5. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

And increasing our commitment to Afghanistan, thus better allowing us to achieve our strategic aims in a conflict we stand a chance of winning. We shouldn't have been in Iraq to start with (not a question of right or wrong, we don't have the resources to fight on two fronts), all we are doing is moving soldiers from one theatre to another, hardly 'leaving the fighting to the US.'

Frankly I find your views small minded and offensive, particularly at a time when my troopers are out there fighting along side other British, US and other soldiers. Maybe you should talk to the families who have lost sons and daughters and tell them they were 'leaving the fighting to the US.'

Regarding the book, didn't you just say you read it in an entirely different way to the way the author intended? Suggests to me that it isn't really worth discussing anyhow since you have apparently missunderstood it.

6. Za Rodinu

Za Rodinu Aquila non capit muscas

Corny? Sure!

[​IMG]

7. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

I almost missed that! Quartermain was a true great, a genuine hero and better than Wayne by miles and I won't hear anything said to the contrary!

8. urqh

Didnt a Norwegian get killed just over a year ago? Who did he die for Ram? Is he not worth counting as the Europeans are letting the Us do the fighting for us. Wander what his folks think of that crass statement.

I have no gripe with our US allies by the way before anyone starts...Brothers in arms. We are certainly not though subserviant to any one on this matter.

And this site should remind some crass folk about who does what fighting for the Europeans.

Pathetic statement that one Ram.

Obituaries, Obituary archive, Famous people deaths UK | Lasting Tribute

9. urqh

10. urqh

I know of a Cyril Quatermain...now thats the personification of a real man.

11. bigfun

bigfun Ace

"When you're runnin' down our country, man, you're walkin' on the fightin' side of me." --Merle Haggard

urqh likes this.
  12. WotNoChad?

WotNoChad? Member

That's been on the cards for a while though, and the US are leaving too so it's probably a moot point.

13. lwd

lwd Ace

Wasn't Tarzan an Englishman?

14. WotNoChad?

WotNoChad? Member

Unless he means Johnny Weissmuller...

15. RAM

RAM Member

Well, the Pound (£) is plummeting, the unemployment is skyrocketing and their oil wells will soon be dry, so I guess you can have'em cheap these days!

RAM

16. urqh

And I would still rather live in Merry England for all its problems than visit Norway on a weekday evening....Its shut...Oslo...walk around Oslo on a weekday evening and you end up miserable back in your hotel.

Give me the moaning British over many others. We moan, its what we do. Dont though be persuaded by our moaning that we would be anywhere else. Sweden though, that is another matter...give me Stockholm on a snowy December night.

Worked all over Scandinavia at BGC, and its opposite number in Norway and Denmark.

Denmarks not too bad either. But give me Lithuania before another visit to Oslo...please...

17. urqh

As for British and cheap, your degenerating into personal attacks. I wont be bothering with you anymore, as another poster has already put it, your quite offensive.

You lost the argument a few pages back, now you want to just attack the nation as a whole.

I of course responded in kind. Ill be the bigger man and walk away.

18. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

There ya go. When Tarzan (Weissmuller) did speak, he had a US accent. It is not a matter of where he is from, so much, as whether I have heard of him and/or have an interest in him. Heroes from British lit, TV or movies would not interest me as I have probably never read about them or seen them.

19. urqh

Well I said I'd finished with this thread but how can anyone diss Alan Quartermain...A Brit played by a Yank..This special relationship thingy has got to stop sometime...

Slip, Dirty dancing....the guy who played lead role...ive forgotten his name....Played Alan Quartermain in King Solomons Mines....Now Im confused...does that make him Brit or American...Stefan, youve opened a can of worms.

20. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Awe shucks, urqh, I ain't dissing AQ, he just doesn't have any strong meaning to me.