Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Eastwood:'America Has Gone Soft'

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by Lias_Co_Pilot, Dec 15, 2008.

1. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Well said. However-i'd still wish to use many terms of insults--when it comes to to talking about those scumbags. Can't :salute: ya but, will give rep points.

RAM likes this.
  2. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Better than Wayne was, but ONLY in "Legends of the Lost".

3. Richard

Richard Expert

It did many moons ago, but our government feels the need to tell us all here in the UK its still here. while Americans rather eat a fruit pie drink beer and go hunting. Who can blame them. There out enjoying life while our government likes to mess up as much as it can. :rolleyes:

4. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

The US is leaving only because more & bad I.D.10.T's will soon be in
    charge. Being inexperianced like OLDD is, is even worse. That DORK looks like at this stage-like he's going to be putty in the hands of the enemy.

5. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Only part of the time. Weismuller-German, Gordon Scott, Ron Ely, Bruce Bennett & Mike Henry--all Amis.

6. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Patrick Swayze (a Texan) played in Dirty Dancing opposite Jenniffer Grey. Richard Chamberlain played AQ in two movies. I think Stewart Grainger also played AQ-but I THINK that was in the 1950's?

7. WotNoChad?

WotNoChad? Member

Doesn't bother me in the slightest tbh. You can take my money, my job and my car but you can't revoke my membership in the world's best club, for I am English until I die.

[​IMG]

Well he didn't have that much of a seppo accent did he? Aside from that I'm not sure what we're bickering about. :rolleyes:

urqh likes this.
  8. T. A. Gardner

T. A. Gardner Genuine Chief

AMC has Heartbreak Ridge on tonight. Gunny Highway (Clint Eastwood's character) and I have alot in common. I'm old school Navy Chief. I know everything there is to know (regardless of the truth of that) about things dealing with electricity and shipboard engineering systems. To doubt me is to burn in hell instantly.

Sea Story time: Went aboard the USS George Philip right after 9/11. The Navy wanted to move the ship as it was right under the Coronado Bridge in San Diego in the yards. She was scheduled for sea trials. But, the main lube oil pump system would not shift from normal to alternate and back properly. Having been on the ship all of a day or so I was told various reasons for this happening....All F@%$King wrong.
    So, I took a non-rate (E1 - E3) and the best PO (Petty Officer) in the electric shop (a young Filippino kid rated E4) down to the main space. There I pointed at the two large controller boxes and said: "There is a bad contactor in one of these two boxes. I don't know which, or which one; but its there. Find it. Start with the Alternate box there."
    About an hour later the Filippino kid came to me with a huge grin and said "Chief! I found it! Look this spring is broken!"
    Twenty cents worth of part fixed the system and we passed sea trials.
    I had spent all of maybe two hours on that ship or others of that class up to that point. That is what a real Chief does. You know so much about your job you are God.
    I won't even start on the several thousand dollars in parts I threw into the stabilisor system on that ship that I was supposed to get written permission from the Captain before I did it. But it worked. He was happy. I was happy. That's a Chief not an E-7 for you.

Za Rodinu likes this.
  9. Za Rodinu

Za Rodinu Aquila non capit muscas

Thread sanity restored!

Oh, and it doesn't matter if Tarzan's actor is Papuasian or Cappadocian, Tarzan IS and English character, Lord Greystoke!

10. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

Tarzan is actually Irish....His great great great Grandfather was one of the protestant families given land by Cromwell and paid to settle outside Dublin many moons ago.

The plan to seed Englishness into Irishness and colonise other nations with as few of our own as possible was as much apparant with Tarzans relatives as in future years.

This relations son was the bastard son of an inappropriate relationship between him and an Irish catholic girl maid of the household.

The family was thus split at this stage, and the newborn of this line was later found to be one of the same clan, fleeing the potato famine to Liverpool. Where the sister or half sister married a Liverpool builder who went on to employ many navies and ending their search for betterment in the States by working on the canals of Scotland.

He himself though was put into the arms of a harlot Irish woman by the name of Obama'oReilly. She sailed for New York a few years later taking the said son with her and passing him off as her own.

On gaining American citezenship, she married a recent carnival king arrival who owned a travelling circus and toured many states and ended up in the caribean where he died and said son took over running his fathers recently aquired fishing business...

There is talk of him meeting and marrying a American heiress a few years later and together moving to Atlanta Georgia where they opened a travelling zoo..this folded rather quickly when it was found the lions could not be controlled on moving in column from town to town.

Eventually they had 12 children, kept the monkeys and formed the first ever Momkey park in America. This was to become in later years, Sea world in Orlando. Which many Britons would visit in later years and reform the US UK special relationship of give us yer dollars...

The present owner of the creators of Madagascar 2 the movie is in fact a direct decendant of that family and his obsession with returning to the jungle if all be it in cartoonized form is evidence that the family still have their roots firmly placed in Ireland, the UK America and the jungle.

Tarzan the real Tarzan not the Johnny weisemuller or whatever, never existed...Our but his step brother did...does that make sense? Who cares.

Thread sanity now once more disorganised.

Happy new year

Za Rodinu likes this.
  11. urqh

Stewart Grainger...I recently blundered into his old house...family house...was staying in a seaside hotel in Bournmouth....for some reason blundered outside after breakfast thru wrong door, into kitchens...out back door, down small path...then on back street and on wall next door was a blue plaque stating Stewart Graingers family house or birth place cant remember.

But hidden away for no one to see.

Amazing what you find when your not looking

12. IntIron

IntIron Member

Being an Ironworker I've been in my share of fist-fights. I can tell you that while I enjoy a good fist-fight(As long as it doesnt turn into a ground and pound) its not eveyones cup of tea. A lot of people get rather offended if you punch them in the noodle. I've been in fights with people that later became very good friends. I've also had several fist-fights with my best friend that I've known since first grade. And yep were still best friends. Does that mean I'm a real man? Proably not. I consider being a man more than just fighting and being 'tough'. Taking care of your family shows far more manlihood than fighting. I guess my big problem isnt with soft-ness its with the selfishness of most people. Everything now revolves around them. If its a net positive for the team but a net negitive for them, they wont help the team.

As a side story, when I was in wrestling in High School, we had many good wrestlers in my weight range (130 to 135) so many in fact that we all couldnt be on varsity.(There were 5 of us) We all decided that throughout the season we'd trade off varsity matchs until regionals. At that time we did a wrestle-off to see who'd do regionals and thus have a shot at state. The point is we all gave up a little so we'd all have a chance for varsity and we'd all get our prized letter(In high school that was a big thing).

My 2 cents.

Bill

chocapic likes this.
  13. urqh

Dear boy, old chap, you seem to have a parchant for the ole Marquess of Queensbury thingy going on there.

Boxing, wrestling, have you ever thought of chess? Tai Chi? Green tea?

But yes you are correct.

I find that when it comes to fisticuffs, not the old bottle, knife and chair type things the youngsters of today choose to partake in but old fashioned fisticuffs, no Im wrong, any type of violence really...most folk are law abiding, embarassed easily....and thats the problem...

The embarrasment of defending oneself, the thought of it, is what makes most abhore it, run from it, watch whilst others defend others. Its not the thought of any pain or disablement, its a general human trait of not wanting to draw attention or be embarassed.

The Krays of London fame knew this well as do many others. Its a reason Para training in Uk has the old one on one no rules but fists in gym fight as part of their training, its really not about who wins, its about teaching folk to take some punishment, get up, realise they aint made out of glass...they aint dead and they can still fight back.

Forces folk in general have been through somehting similar in most forces training regimes around the world, which makes them act in times where others wouldnt in civilian life when they are out of forces.

I well remember my first real punch on a fellow colleague...well he was then and after few days was again...over something and nothing. It never made me a man or a better man, but then again I only did it because he threw a flash bang in my bath with me in it...I gently tapped his nose, punched thry as taught...nose splattered across face...Blood more than any one could have in their body...I was then bad man, rotter, cad...and when his girlfriend got to k now I was looking over shoulder for years...

Thats not to say Im a man because I used violence, Im just saying I understant why others dont respond as some of us would do. Some stand and watch when others are in danger or whatever and some dont, some get involved. Usually its the embarresment factor that prevails and not a fear factor. I understand that and wouldnt blame anyone for it.

Being an Iron worker, maybe you should talk to our resident Scot Historian....He drinks Iron Bru...now theres a mans mans drink to put hairs on Eastwoods chest.

14. IntIron

IntIron Member

I actaully prefer Earl Grey tea(My all time favorite). I like Chess but will admit that my limited Ironworker mind is not very good at it.

Yours,

Bill

urqh likes this.
  15. lwd

lwd Ace

But those were only actors. The character was British.

16. lwd

lwd Ace

Since this thread is getting so eclectic here's another sea story that the following reminded me of.
    A cousin of mine was a lt commander on a navy ship back in the 60's. They managed to loose an anchor which is apparently a "very bad thing" as far as a Captains job rating goes. He asked my cousin to see what he could do. My cousin went to the chief and mentioned that there were a case or 3 of steaks in the freezer that could dissapear and that the Captain really needed another anchor soon. The problem was apparently solved well before it became an issue.

17. ScreamingEagleMG42

ScreamingEagleMG42 Member

Eastwood's whole attitude described in his quote is displayed perfectly in his new flick Gran Turino. I was pumped to get to see this movie early and absolutely loved it. Truly i probably could not agree with him more, being a 20 year old in America i do often dream of growing up in an earlier generation. There is a reason that the Americans of WWII are known as America's greatest generation, they were some tough, resilient, freedom loving people.

ps. Eastwoods character loves toting his M1 throughout the movie!

18. macrusk

macrusk Proud Daughter of a Canadian WWII Veteran

My two cents on Eastwood, the "real man" discussion, and the highly charged us versus them discussion.

The generation in which Eastwood grew up is so highly regarded because they stood for what they believed and were willing to put themselves in harms way with a selflessness that is hard for many in today's generations to understand or to emulate.

As a woman stepping into this discussion a "real" man is one who has honour, looks after his responsibilities, looks after the weak and helpless, who steps up when something needs to be done and is only likely to step back when someone more capable takes over. Violence is never the best option; it is an accepted alternative when reasonable discourse has been attempted. Extemisim of any type is dangerous - whether of the hairy knuckle dragging 'macho' behaviour or political correctness or any religious fundamentalism. Every generation has had a rosy vision of their youth and a wariness of the behaviour of the succeeding generations. I will never completely understand my step-children or their generation because I did not grow up in their circumstances. I think I was of the luckiest generation and raised by an English Mother and a Canadian Father, growing up in North America - I got the best of the old world and the new. America and Canada have not gotten soft - but we have become so afraid of offending anyone that sometimes we can't - or won't -state the truth of what we believe, and in our fear, deceive ourselves, our friends, and our enemies regarding our values.

My "real man" will defend me if I need defending (and I can do quite well for myself), can discuss any topic, faces his responsibilities, gets choked up when he sees a child hurt on the news or thinks about losing his dog, and occasionally forgets to be pc yet never intentionally tries to offend someone just to be offensive. Being a "real woman" I expect that a "real man" respects mine or another human beings rights.

Fisticuffs or violence is a last resort when all forms of reasonable communication and resolution have failed. It does not represent strength.

Lias_Co_Pilot and Stefan like this.
  19. urqh

But I bet I can beat you in an arm wrestling competitin Michelle....

Put em up lady...

No spitting...

20. macrusk

macrusk Proud Daughter of a Canadian WWII Veteran