Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Ebay bidding. Don't F*** around too long or this will happen to you!!

Discussion in 'Other Militaria' started by C.Evans, Mar 13, 2009.

1. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi Skipper, one of my brothers did some research into the copyright thing and said that once something is posted on the internet--the copyrights are no longer valid. So as far as I now know-a person can't be held liable for something posted on the net. Whether the info he got was correct or not? I don't know? It's times like this that I wish my Cousin Bobby were still alive. I couls ask him and would be able to relate it here. We lost him to cancer and an infection-about this time last year :-(

2. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Hi Carl ,
    I don't know whether this is true, but I suppose that if a picture is published on the internet it will be hard to prove that one person is the owner. Having an original printed copy is not always evidence , as many pics were printed in larger quantities , so I suppose the real owner would be the person who has the negatives. When books are published even under the now older 1957 copyright regulations it says "reproduction in any way including electronic", so this would include the internet. Besides if you put a copyrighted pic on the net , it does not make it legal . However sellers who put pictures on the internet have no copyright for these specific items. This is why they put anti copy devices on some of them , but in fact many don't really care, as long as they make money . Moreover they would be silly not to keep a scan of all pics before they send them away...

3. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi Skipper, im most sure you are more accurate than I am about the copyrights thing. But you also make great points about whether someone can prove originality and ownership of images. When I was making the first of two Photo CDs using the facilities at Wal-Mart, the lady helping me had some trouble and concerns about some of the images I wanted to scan on th CD. These include StudioRelease photos of certin movies like: Fort Apache, The Last Battle? Dirty Harry, The Flying Tigers and some Three Stooges stuff. We got her Supervisor to come and she explained that I could copy even copyrighted pics to the CD. Now if I were to try selling CDs with these images on them-I know I can't do that but I can do so using the private photos I have. One thing that im not sure of-is would I be allowed to make any money from those PK press photos? Im thinking that I can because none of those PK companies exist and have not since May 1945.

I don't know but like Erich has told me before, I guess that is a minefield that has to be paid attention to ;-))

One specific thing that I want to do with my collection-is not only to have them all on CD-so I don't have to keep taking them out and copying them-is that I do want to place certain images on items like-Mousepads, coffee cups, and things like that-bu t as gifts and not to make any money from them.

GRW and Skipper like this.
  4. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

One thing is for certain, I have spent fortunes to buy some of these pictures and I am almost certain some have been published before or will be published in the future without me even being aware of it. Besides I might publish pictures that I owe , only to realise they might have been published before ....and possibly copyrighted. As a result I now share a lot of pics with friends who send me some of theirs in return and I tend to boycott those who destroy albums by selling pictures one by one for profit. Of course this is hard to say when you see something you really want

5. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

I guess the good thing about having interesting pictures is that if you one day decide to do a book and use only the pics you own yourself nobody will be asking you with what right you use these images.... ;)

6. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi Skipper, well said. Also, I too have spent a fortune on phots. Just this year alone-I shudder to guess how much but is under a grand.

Hi Kai, im going to be first in line to buy YOUR book ;-)) How much will you charge me to autograph it? ;-)) Oh and I forgot to mention that im also trying for a nice group pic of Finnish Soldiers and their Regimental or Divisional insignia is clearly seen. If I wind up with this one-im going to need your help on identifying their unit.

7. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

I went to a local garage sale yesterday and got A3 size orignials paintings and WWI portraits from soldiers for 50 cents piece. It makes you think twice about the so called 100% original stuff you get on 5 x 6 cm or even smaller for a fortune on auction sales.

8. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

I went to a local garage sale yesterday and got A3 size orignials paintings and WWI portraits from soldiers for 50 cents piece. It makes you think twice about the so called 100% original stuff you get on 5 x 6 cm or even smaller for a fortune on auction sales.

9. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

photos actually besides books is about all I do due to space constraints. Carl you've probably done this but if you haven't it might be a good idea to write a private to the seller of photos and ask them if there are other means in which to engage a transaction instead of pay-pal and ebay. in most cases the seller will agree. personally ebay.com is one of the largest rip-off firms on this planet due to the oddities of their policies

maybe most of us as our collections grow but fade need to seriously think about limitations and be more specific ..........obviously get to know your subject matter firsthand

10. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi E, no wiser words have been said. I already did the above with 3 dealers and will eventually get some more from them as soon as I recover a bit from the recent books and pics buying spree.

I had to drop the chance for several great LW pics some with new minted RKTs in them-generals and such-so I could do just such a thing as concentrating on Army stuff. Three great Gebirge pics im looking at are possibilities from one of those three dealers im buying from. I dropped two other dealers because I can't keep up with all the offerings coming my way by email.

11. luketdrifter

luketdrifter Ace

I do a TON of business on ebay, mostly selling, not nearly enough buying for my taste, and out of the 100 or so auctions I am doing a week, I get probably 30-40 emails about people sniping at the last minute and losing bidders complaining to me. My stock response is "happens to the best of us, just so happens I have another one of those ___________ going up for auction today, good luck". I guess if you are bidding on one select group of items you'll run into the same people bidding and out bidding you more than I do. My intrests run a wide gambit from in-car GPS units (all of my vehicles have them) to radio controlled Tiger Tanks, books, US Medals and badges, to kids clothes. It's super addicting though isn't it?

12. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Currently im running a great risk in that im trying to preserve some 26 or so pics that are of a Stuka Pilot that shws his rise though the ranks from enlisted-to NCO and then to Officer-and who also got the DKiG and if I win all of them at the exact prices they are going for now-I stand to spend at least $100.00 to well over $200.00 if I can manage to preserve this mans photos. Also, I am trying to presere some Stuka pilots award pics for EKIIs and for DKiGs and one for an Stuka RKT.

Wish me good luck in this endeavor please. Otherwise-this mans grouping will be slip up forever :-((

13. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Currently im running a great risk in that im trying to preserve some 26 or so pics that are of a Stuka Pilot that shws his rise though the ranks from enlisted-to NCO and then to Officer-and who also got the DKiG and if I win all of them at the exact prices they are going for now-I stand to spend at least $100.00 to well over $200.00 if I can manage to preserve this mans photos. Also, I am trying to presere some Stuka pilots award pics for EKIIs and for DKiGs and one for an Stuka RKT.

Wish me good luck in this endeavor please. Otherwise-this mans grouping will be slip up forever :-((

14. AndyPants

AndyPants Ace

you've got my luck Carl, fingers crossed.........heck it worked before!

15. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

I will cross my fingers too, especially as if you win them you will probably share them with us here. I'm afraid last minute snipers might take a few from you away though.

16. wtid45

wtid45 Ace

Carl I will cross everything for you buddy:D Ebay sucks you in and dont let go I should know just bought 2 more books today;)

17. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Thank you Gents for the good luck wishes. However, to the internet not wanting to comply today when I tried to get back in--I basiically got the sweepings from the road but--at least I made those bidders pay more than im sure they would have liked.

I lost out on 20 of that Stuka DKIG guys pics as well as the DKiG awards ceremony. All is not lost hopefully, I stand a good chance to get a pic of the DKiG pilot in the cockpit of his Stuka, as well as two RKT award ceremony pics. I upped the stakes a bit and there are only about 2 hrs left on these=so ill not know for sure till later tonight or tomorrow.

The sweepings I got include a LW Pilot awarded an EKII pic, and three for the DKiG guy. I decided to up the stakes a bit and bid on another pic with him which is that cockpic pic. Ill tell you one thing for sure-im angry with the internet not wanting to work, and future bidders WILL PAY dearly for this :)) Evil aint I? :lol: :lol:

I just hope those 44 Papa Ringel pics start showing up soon-because im running out of available funds to keep this "watch" up.

Heh heh, does anyone want to buy an entire collection of 12 inch Star Wars and GI Joe figures? I will throw in $250.00 worth of 12 inch figures as well as two working animated Star Wars banks. One had Darth Vader on it swinging his light sabre and the other has C3Po and R2D2 on it making sounds and moving. Plus four 12 inch German soldiers will also be thrown in free. :))

Sorry for the attempted sale-just need to raise some capitol for the eventual sale of those 44 Papa Ringle pics.

Update tomorrow morning if I got those RKT ceremony pics and that extra DkiG Stuka pilot guy pic,

Skipper, please feel free to check my account if you wish--maybe while im gone-maybe that will be good luck for me.

Thanks again Gents-take care--Carl.

PS, several of the DKiGs letters are up for grabs but-im skipping those I see because a "feeding frenzy" has taken hold on the three letters up for grabs. Skipper, if you see them, can you do a favor for me and see if you can figure out that DKiG guys name? I can't read his writing at all. IF I get his name-soon I will have info coming in where I can tell you guys a bit about him.

18. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Carl is there a singular photo of the DKiG Stuka winner in tunic and does he have a right sleeve cuffband ?

19. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi E, I THINK his unit was Immelmann? Geschwader 2?? Not sure? I don't remember seeing him wearing a cufftitle but then again, I THINK all three of the pics I got shows him wearing a Leather Jacket-or most detail is covered up by soemthing blocking the view. :-(

20. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

yes there was 1-2 pics of him in tunic I found with Immelmann posted all over the cuffband - aka STG 2. Congrats by the way on your pics