Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Edelweiss Insignia

Discussion in 'Medals, Insignia, Badges & Recalls' started by thompson, Feb 9, 2010.

1. thompson

thompson Member

Hello everyone,

I have a question for you.

Can someone tell me more about the Edelweiss Insignia?(*)
    Because I always liked that insignia, But I don't know a thing about it so..

(*)(like why was it given to someone,when? Who produced it, etc..)

Greets Thompson.

Attached Files:

2. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi thompson, it was the insignia used by the German Mountain troops (mainly) (AKA) Gebirgsjagers)) and was worn on the M-43 cap sewed onto the left side of the cap near the ear. These were the ones in metal-like yours, and the cloth ones were in the form of a small patch and sewed onto an arm of their tunic. Ive got a couple of them lying about somewhere too.

Anyway, hope this helps?

3. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

4. thompson

thompson Member

Thanks.

5. thompson

thompson Member

6. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Sure thing-best wishes--C.

7. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

pleasure thompson, ray..

8. Kruska

Kruska Member

Hello Carl,

hold it, the Edelweiß is way beyond the "Lesser Period", were we BAVARIANS and our Austrian cousins take credit way before them Germans.
    View attachment 10457
    This fine Bavarian Mountainsoldier displays the Bavarian and Austrian Edelweiß on his fieldcap.
    The Austrians awarded "their" Edelweiß to the 1. Bayerischen Jägerbrigade in 1915, henceforth it is worn.

BTW, the Polish mountaintroops also carry the Edelweiß insignia.

The history tradition of the Edelweiß since the 16th century goes as follows:

A young Man in the mountains (Bavarian/Austrian) has to pluck an Edelweiß (which is usually a very dangerous mountaineering task) and needs to present it to his beloved one upon proposing to her. (Until today - even though it is stricktly forbidden to pluck 'em (No not the Girls :D)- this tradition is still alive in some areas).

Regards
    Kruska

Attached Files:

9. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

you said it,girls? tut! tut! ....in the mountains only?

10. Gerard

Gerard Member

11. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Heh heh, I knew it was beyond the lesser period but am glad you gave more and better info on it than I did ;-))

BTW, I think I still have one that was a private purchase item that was frrom an Offizier? If you want it? just let me know and ill give it providing its still in my collection? which I believe it to be ;-))

BTW, Heino sang a decent song about Der Edelweiss. I think its title simply was: Edelweiss?

12. Kruska

Kruska Member

Hello Carl - that is awfull nice off you.
    BTW please PM me, under which postal address you can receive an item from me, within the next 2 month.

And Heino, good grief that fellow is just awfull.

Regards
    Andy

13. stewy

stewy Member

I can tell you that wartime Edelweiss (like yours) have a straight stem. But the post war type have a curled stem. Sorry i don't have one to show you:rolleyes:. Stewy

14. Heinrich

Heinrich Member

I like him as a singer , but I seriously would worry if I had a daughter bringing him home one day :rolleyes: A good drink and a good stereo helps a lot ...aaiaiaia ia KAaaarne val in RiioOOoo ..strong lyrics !

Its not the bundeswehr version , then the stempleaves both touch two flowerleaves right and left also ..on yours one stempleaf touches one flowerleaf , the other stempleave leave touches two flowerleaves.

heres a modern bundswehr version two leaf two leaf version :p
    [​IMG]

Skipper likes this.
  15. Kruska

Kruska Member

16. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Heh heh, I think Heino is disliked because Foreigners like me-actually listen to a few of hsi songs :-D Truthfully, I don't really like his songs either. I have one on a Cd along with some good songs sang by other German-er I mean: Chermin singers like Annie Jager and such ;-))

Im sure I still have that Edelweiss, but will check for sure soon as my tummy troubles are overwith and I can actually move about some without being queasy.

17. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

On looking at Heinrichs pics of one, I think the one I have is also Bundeswehr. At either rate, when I bought it about 10 or so year ago, it was sold as being a private purchase item and was from some Offiziers collection of stuff. At least I didnt pay a bundle for it if mine is a post war?

18. Heinrich

Heinrich Member

happened to me too Carl :)
    Had the gift here to pick the bundeswehr one from a lot of 4 genuine ww2 edelweiss emblems ..ah well one learns by falling and standing up:D

And Heino ..well ..he 's got a voice like a clock .. his music does make me happy , even though its no rock lol
    But when given the choice between him and Freddy Quinn I like Quinn even better ...Guess i seem to have a thing for old sailors songs .

I know Heino's a bit frowned upon after his covers of wrong songs came in the open ..but what was funny was when he went to court to sew another singer impersonating him and many people came to the court wearing paper Heino masks ..a courtroom full of pretty white boys hahaha hoping to find a pic of that , but sofar no luck .

19. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Heh heh, thats happened to me opn too many occasions in the past-picking onething over something that had I known was going to much better to have-id have snagged it in a heartbeat. The one that singed me the most was when I was 15, I bought a minty Japanese Arisaka Bayonet for $55-overa minty chained SA Dagger-that was listed at $40, and a minty chained SS Dagger-that was listed for $50. Im still chafed about getting that Bayonet-when I did a inny minny minney moe over choosing it or that SS dagger.

Heh heh, now that Heino is mentioned, I can't shut out his Edelweiss tune. Its going to drive me around the bend evn more if I cant shut it off? :lol: