Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Eisernes Kreuz: Tell me about it and help me out.

Discussion in 'Medals, Insignia, Badges & Recalls' started by Se7enstrings, Jul 20, 2015.

1. Se7enstrings

Se7enstrings New Member

I'm new to collecting WWII militarily. Here I have my Iron Cross. I know I over paid for it but would it be possible for anybody to tell me more about it? It came with, what is supposedly it's original box. I'm not quite sure but I do know it's authentic. It's not stamped with a makers mark. Could anybody tell me more about it andI'm new to collecting WWII militarily. Here I have my Iron Cross. I know I over paid for it but would it be possible for anybody to tell me more about it? It came with, what is supposedly it's original box. I'm not quite sure but I do know it's authentic. It's not stamped with a makers mark. Could anybody tell me more about it and give me some heads ups and info about Iron Crosses? I'm just curious about them and would like to know more. I know it's not stamped with a makers mark but is it possible to figure out where it was made?
    http://imgur.com/a/aGfQw

2. rlyoun3910

rlyoun3910 New Member

One test is to place a magnet to it and if it sticks, then it's probably, literally made from Iron. The Iron cross has been around for quite some time. I'm not sure about manufacturers. It's thought normally a military decoration only, but during WW II certain types were awarded to civilians performing military functions, and there was a non-combatant award called the Merit Cross, which were quite prolific. There were about 5 million military Iron Crosses awarded in WW II. A lot of them. Real WW II Crosses also have a swastika in the center. Obviously before WW II they did not.

Tons more scrutinizing options, I'm sure. Post a picture of it on this forum or on http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ and ask for advice.--Ray