Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

'Empire of The Sun'

Discussion in 'WWII Films & TV' started by Martin Bull, Jul 18, 2004.

1. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

The full-length movie was shown on BBC last night ( so no interruptions due to commercials [​IMG] ) - must've been ten years since I last saw it.

A strange film and not really a 'war movie' as such but interesting to watch nonetheless, with some great epic scenes and typical Spielberg touches.

Best of all, of course, are the aviation scenes especially the now almost legendary 'P-51 Cadillac of the skies' sequence flown by The Fighter Collection's Stephen Gray. Sad to note that that particular Mustang was destroyed in an accident in France in 1998 [​IMG]

2. TA152

TA152 Ace

I really liked the "weathering" they did to the Japanese fighter at the end of the movie. I could not tell if they used a real Zero or an AT-6 conversion but the plane looked real for the era.

3. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

The 'Zeros' in the film were in fact all Harvards but I agree, the overall effect is quite good.

4. Stevin

Stevin Ace

Me and the wife watched it too last night...Something to do with quality-time... :rolleyes: ;) Forgot how long a movie it was. Interesting movie. I hadn't seen it for years too. Although not really a war movie, it kept me interested to see how the psyche of the young boy swifts from that developed in a protective environment to plain survival.

Hardly recognized Ben Stiller..."Is that Ben Stiller?? Nhaaaaa, he doesn't do serious parts..." Until the credits came.

Great part by John Malkovitz...

5. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

It's a great film. Though, not a war film at all. And the greatest thing of all, as in every other Spielberg film, is the musical score by John Williams! :eek: I love the 'Cadillacs of the Sky' scene and musical theme. :cool:

6. Ernst_Barkmann401

Ernst_Barkmann401 Member

I really like this movie. The one scene I really enjoyed was when Jim touches the Zero and then salutes the pilots. I don't know why but I just love that scene!

7. Yancy Derringer

Yancy Derringer Member

- one of my favorite films