Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Endsrieg: Darkest Hour - choose how the Germans fight for me!

Discussion in 'Hearts of Iron' started by Hawkerace, May 6, 2013.

1. Hawkerace

Hawkerace Member

Wanted to start up a new game in Darkest Hour (a variation of the popular grand strategy series of Hearts of Iron). The scenario starts in december '44 and I am currently playing as the Germans. Obviously we know how history goes, but I wanted to make this a group thing were we would try our best to survive. Through a bit of suggestion, roleplaying and a bit of file tweaking I wanted to see if we could surpass expectations and the ultimate goal of actually winning the war. Here's some screenshots and blurbs of the situation. Only your suggestions will further the thread and the conflict. I wont be doing anything unless you say so. Hopefully we get somewhere.*

[​IMG]
    The scenario details, it's late '44, on the day of the Ardennes Offensive. The units on the western front are a bit damaged but extremely experienced and powerful. I'd suggest the delay of the offensive, regrouping of all armored and mobile units in to one province and hopefully encircle core Allies units, but delaying for too long might make them regrouped and refit as well, because they're not fully organized and supplied at the moment. Obviously fuel is a problem as well.

[​IMG]
    Our Balkan flank. Mostly infantry units and a few armored. The remnants of the Hungarians and Croatians. Their units are mostly all but useless. I suggest we pull back more into the Reich in provinces that give good defensive bonuses (rivers, mountains etc) There are also garrisoned units left on Crete and some Greek islands. Should we perhaps refit a few units to go and pick them up?
    [​IMG]
    Recently liberated France. Although the Reich lost a lot of manpower and units trying to hold the Allies, it was not enough. There are a few pockets of units left in France, that will probably be assaulted once the scenario begins. Evacuation is no doubt out of the question, and their supplies are low if not zero. These units will hold up many important allied units that otherwise might be at the main front. Or perhaps should we disband them to get a manpower boost?
    [​IMG]
    Courland pocket. Out from the front, these units would be key to holding back the Russians. It would be a good idea to pull them back into the front. Or should we hold every province like the fuhrer demands? Perhaps pulling back from Poland to the more suitable landscape east of Berlin is a better strategy.
    [​IMG]
    Norway is more or less untouched by comparison. There are 16 full strength divisions stationed here as well as a few air and naval units. Should we evacuated or keep up the units there for an offensive into the recent betrayal of Finland or the ports that take American aid?
    [​IMG]
    The Italian front, or whats left of it. Our puppet Bennito holds a token state with little to offer. Do we annex them out right, creating dissent? The Italian units, though few are at least fully strengthed and experienced. Securing the Italian flank would be a secondary as opposed to the more vulnerable Western front. Do we transfer Italian units to the West or East? Do we abandon the Italian sector full out, allowing the Western front to link up with the soft under belly's battle hardened units?
    [​IMG]
    The Wehrmacht currently has 358 land divisions of different quality and size. Most units are severely depleted and need time to regroup. My suggestions would be perhaps to regroup most of the veteran armored units to knock out the West quickly, and hope the Russians don't regroup quick before its too late. Info on the luftwaffe and kriegsmarine will be delievered upon request, but don't be too interested on their resources. However don't take this too realistic, since it is a game there is a massive exposure of randomness that might end in some interesting results. The Soviets have 500+ divisions and the Allies 100+. The Japanese are the only ally that is somewhat still in the war that is mattered. You can use your basic knowledge to know their component in this fight. (none as we know)

Take the time and participate, we might have fun. You're the general.

*I only decided on the Germans and the scenario due to its desperation, yet not completely impossible odds. I don't support Nazism, or the glorification of war in any way. It's merely a scholar attempt.

2. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

Never seen that game....Thanks for the highlight...Must get a copy.

3. Hawkerace

Hawkerace Member

He's an update on our situation.

[​IMG]
    This is the economic side of things. To your right is your capacity and sliders that allocate your capacities to specific productions, its pretty logical. Right now the sliders have not been touch. Should we focus on production (said production of units are to the left) or reinforcements? Or perhaps building of fortifications or Wunderwaffe?
    [​IMG]
    Here's an example of a unit that can be made. An armored division will be a dramatic addition, but it takes a lot of time to build. There are also brigades you can attach, with there stats.
    [​IMG]
    This is one branch of the tech tree. All of this costs money over time but not much. Any suggestions on what we should begin to research as we progress?
    [​IMG]
    I've taken the liberty to start on three research projects. They will probably be the most important upgrades come the next year.

4. Hawkerace

Hawkerace Member

5. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Was lurking the thread but didn't post. Glad I can play along vicariously somewhere.

I actually own every version of HOI, but never played any of them even though it looks great. Not enough hours in the day...

Hawkerace likes this.
  6. Totenkopf

Totenkopf אוּרִיאֵל

I demand volkssturm, and moar volkssturm!

7. Hawkerace

Hawkerace Member

Yeah, Paradox's Hearts of Iron is an insanely solid design for these types of games. I'd probably say that Darkest Hour has probably the most indepth, or at least has the best scenarios. Thanks Otto.