Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Excellent PTO Photos

Discussion in 'War in the Pacific' started by 36thID, Oct 23, 2012.

1. 36thID

36thID Member

2. ResearcherAtLarge

ResearcherAtLarge Member

Oh God... the captions.... so WRONG.....
    Since those are mostly new to you, here's a quick run down on what's wrong with the first group of photos:

Photo #2 was taken DURING the attack; you can see the waves from torpedo hits on Oklahoma and West Virginia spreading out into the harbor - Oklahoma is already noticeably listing.

Photo #4 - Arizona didn't topple into the sea - her forward mast was pulled forward when the forward decks collapsed down. If anything, they would have collapsed into the HARBOR and not the SEA.

Photo #5 - This was not a japanese bomb, but a falling American AA shell fired from an unknown ship. There were many that day and the photo was labelled as bomb aftermath for propaganda purposes during the way, but has long been known since then to not have been Japanese in origin.

Photo 8 - Wheeler, not Hickam.

Photo 10 - Battle of the Coral Sea and Lexington's loss were in May, not June.

OK, I'm going to stop there... take all of those captions with a grain of salt.

3. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

I confirm. The one with Austalian troops "storming" the beach is a bit exagerated to say the least. This picture was taken after the battle. The men are walking towards the beach and the press photographer is standing up the barge. He'd be a hell of a target if any enemy was still around . Another example is the obvious Japanese plane as being "identified" by the U.S. Navy. It gives the impression it was almost impossible to find out its nationality.
    This being said it is nice compilation of pictures , some of whom I had not seen before and I enjoyed watching other famous ones.

4. R Leonard

R Leonard Member

And my particular favorite, #19, unarmed VS-41 SB2U-2s from sort of training mission (you can tell by the practice bomb containers under the wings) spiraling in from high above USS Ranger . . . wait for it . . . over the ATLANTIC Ocean. Also an official USN photo, not the credited AP.

5. George Patton

George Patton Canadian Refugee

Has anyone seen photo #100 before? It claims it was taken from Yoshiura, "on the other side of the mountain north of Hiroshima". That would have to be a pretty high mountain (I've been there -- I don't remember them being that high) -- it looks very similar to the USAAF photo of the mushroom cloud.

FYI:

"Taken from Mountain" Photo
    [​IMG]

USAAF Photo
    [​IMG]

6. 36thID

36thID Member

Sorry about them being inaccurate. I'm bad at identifying PTO operations.

7. R Leonard

R Leonard Member

Most emphatically NOT your fault, Steve. More typical what passes for modern journalism. Good photos all, but so many labels from folks who don't know what they're looking at and making bad guesses.