Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Extend Maginot Line?

Discussion in 'Hearts of Iron' started by Mussolini, Nov 8, 2007.

1. Mussolini

Mussolini Gaming Guru WW2|ORG Editor

In my French AAR (have to update) it is New Years/Jan 1st of 1938. I figure i have a year if not two (full years) before the Germans will attack. My research is coming along nicely, lots of tech teams = lots of techs. Trading techs with the UK enables me to research certain areas faster, so I am pretty modern in every aspect. Its just a matter of building the divisions.

Every Army I have has an AA Detachment attached to one of its divisions, along with Artillery and ATG. This covers all my bases pretty well, and should mean the Germans suffer heavy when attacking me. But now I face a dilemma: My IC is stretched between supplies, money, and upgrades. I have a little to spare (20-30) on building units, which I build in Serial Runs (aka build times are shorter with each successive unit). But do I continue to focus production on Units/Divisions, building up a Fighter Division or two to combat the Stukas the Germans are sure to throw at me, or Tanks or Infantry to deal with the masses of German/Italian Infantry? Or do i switch over to extending the Maginot line to cover the Low Countries (aka 4 territories from where it currently ends to the British Channel) hoping that it will be enough to give me the advantage of the Germans (combined with the Units/Divisions I have already made)?

Or, alternatively, do I spend half my production IC on Units/Divisions and the other half on the Maginot Line Extension?

2. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

Forget the maginot line. Focus on ground troops with some air cover. Do not let the enemy have any kind of air superiority. Beef up anti tank weapons if any.

3. Mussolini

Yep, working on the ATG's - problem with them is that the upgrades to the Basic/Early forms of them do not occur until 1940/41, so i have to wait to '39 to even think about researching them. Industrial Wise, I am two technologies away from having Mass Production capabilities (aka -35 Days Infantry Construction etc). And research in all areas is to the point where i have to research '39 technologies even though its only '38. I think I am going to wait for the British to research '39 Infantry (they started it in late '37) so that I don't suffer the penalties and can use their blue-print.

I've also decided to shy away from any Naval Research since you can't upgrade ships (have to build new ones) and I dont imagine being caught in a protracted Naval War with anyone.

4. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

Grrr. Rules, rules, rules. Don't cha hate them.

5. Mussolini

Indeed...but i am researching SOUMA's right now! its now May, '38 and i have 39 Infantry researched. BUT i only have 20ICs for Upgrades, with 160+ IC's of upgrades needed! :eek: Upgrading my Hotchkiss Tanks to...something better. Have 6 Divisions of them, and 3 Medium Tank Divisions on the way (which will be the Souma's when their tech is upgraded. I have 4 Interceptors right now, and almost my 3rd Fighter Divisions (which might have to do at this point). Austria was Annexed btw so my IC went up 10%. As did my manpower (closing in on 1000 manpower). I think the Germans will have a pleasant surprise when they attack me. I'm also kinda counting on the Italians to be too weak to do any damage in my South - hopefully this doesn't come back to haunt me. Perhaps i'll move my Cav Army (semi motorized) down there to act as a local reserve...

6. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

If I recall, the Somouas were not bad tanks for the time. The could have inflicted serious damage had they been used properly. We shall see what our Duce can do with them.

7. Mussolini

Exactly. WWII Online does a good job of making things Realistic, and Soumas are a tough nut to crack (unless, of course you know their weaknesses). I am contemplating breaking my two L.Arm Divisions into this:

1st Tank Corps (Current)
    3x L.Arm

2nd Tank Corps (Current)
    3x L.Arm

into this:

1st Tank Corps:
    2xL.Arm
    1xSouma

2nd Tank Corps
    2xL.Arm
    1xSouma

3rd Tank Corps (formed from L.Arm of 1 and 2 Tank Corps)
    2xL.Arm
    1xSouma

The first Souma will be ready in October of '38 (currently September - i have game speed set to fast since all i am doing is research). All my Inf has been upgraded to '39 so as far as they go I am set. One more tech then i can research mass Production, then Veh or Sm.Arms...or aircraft. Will have to see what I am building. Its going to be a 2+year update for French AAR, 1 Year for Italy, 1.5 for for Spain. Maybe more, if i decide to get them all to the eve of '30.

8. Mussolini

January of '39 now. I've stopped playing now so i can make the massive update (mostly just Techs). I found a glitch though. The Tech Tree for Light Armor has the AMX R-40 replacing Hotchkiss H-39 Tanks once you research them. All my tanks are AMX R-40. For Medium Tanks, the Souma S-35 replaced all FCM 36 Tanks (which are a step below Hotchkiss). However, as i watched, 3 of my AMX R-40 Tanks were upgraded into Soumas. Normally, I would not care, but the SOUMA has an Air Attack and Air Defense rating of 2, while the Hotchkiss has AA and AD of 3. So the 1st Tank Corps is now Soumas. I prevented the other division from being upgraded. So 2nd Tank Corps consists of 2 AMX R-40's and 3rd Tank Corps consists of 1 Souma and 1 AMX. 2 more Soumas are on the way to beef up the 2nd/3rd Tank Corps.