Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Extended Maginot Line

Discussion in 'What If - European Theater - Western Front & Atlan' started by PzJgr, Apr 3, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

What if the French in all their splendor had extended the Maginot Line to face Belgium and completely line France's border? Would Germany had succeeded in it's invasion of the low countries?

2. A.GREG

A.GREG Member

I think that France was destinied to be invaded, but by doing that, it would make the German's job much more difficult and take much more time to complete their task.

3. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

German forces not only went around the Maginot line, the penetrated it in two areas. They even invented special canons and anti-concrete shells to destroy the fortifications. A longer Maginot line would have been a greater misallocation of resources.

4. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

I agree with what was said. Also, the Fallschirmjager would have had a much larger role as would Army Engineers. It certainly would have impeded the rapidity of the Germans advance with all their units but, I believe they still would have won without too much delay--possibly a few days?.

Then I see that the Panzer Divisions could have rolled through the Ardennes at a faster pace and in the end achieve the same goal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.