Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Family Information

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by CJ_80, Apr 15, 2013.

1. SirJahn

SirJahn Member

So he arrives in ETO on 7 November 1942. What units arrived in North Africa at that time?

2. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Both the 1st and the 9th landed in November, so no help there.

3. Earthican

Earthican Member

Leaving the US on 25 Oct 1942 would narrow it to the 9th Infantry Division. The 1st ID was in England when it staged for TORCH. Ta Daaa.

I sure hope the OP comes back to get the excellent detective work you guys put out there.

And thanks to the OP for sharing. We love this information. I still want to know how he did not get the Ardennes-Alsace or Central Europe campaigns. Second wound? Transfer out of the division as reward for long service in the Infantry?

LRusso216 and Slipdigit like this.
  4. LRusso216

Great work Earthican. I think you've solved what unit he was in. Now if we can only figure out how he missed out on two campaigns.

I also hope the OP returns to see the results for his questions.

5. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

I'm still "Like-less", otherwise I'd give you one, E. That was the one bit of info I thought about, but didn't track down.

6. LRusso216

I gave him one, Tommy. It will have to do for both of us.

7. Earthican

Earthican Member

We can also rule out the 39th Infantry Regiment, they also staged in England. So that leaves the 47th IR and 60th IR as possibilities. Unfortunately I find the Regular Army divisions in WWII have a poor presence on the web, but there's always hope.

I suspect he was wounded early in COBRA -- while still in Normandie -- and thus eligible for the Northern France campaign. The Rhineland campaign was very long so he might have returned to the 9th ID after the Ardennes was over. Down to one mystery. Error on the document, that block was very full?

Alternatively, after wounding he might not have been fit for infantry combat and was sent to a unit that participated in the Rhineland campaign but not the Central Europe campaign. Something like a heavy Ordnance outfit.

The Intelligence School training is also intriguing. What kind of training could they give a PFC or Sgt at best? From his name he might have spoke German so I am thinking interrogation techniques that include the details of German Army units and organization.

All plausible, but no proof. I await to see how wrong I am.

(I would give up my Like's privileges for the ability to post images [without deleting all my previous images])

8. LRusso216

Have you tried copy and paste? Seems to work for me without deleting old images.

9. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

I've been using a hosting site (ImageShack) with little trouble. It takes a bit more effort, but it works.