Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Famous Women

Discussion in 'Women at War' started by TxGirl, Nov 21, 2007.

Tags:
  1. TxGirl

TxGirl New Member

via War44
    hi, i would really be interested in knowing more about the particular role that women played. How there roles were forced to change with the times. Does anyone know of any good links or information?

2. TxGirl

TxGirl New Member

via War44
    Here is a wonderful site with a MEGA list of several different women who helped during the war. it includes, women journalist, Anti-Nazi resistance, secret agents and civilian women.

Women at War

3. vetwarner

vetwarner New Member

via War44
    I once heard about the Women Airforce Service Pilots, who had 38 women die flying aircraft in the line of duty yet they where buried with no honours. WASP vets never recieved any of the proper war vet benefits.

They had to fight until 1977 to gain acceptance as war veterans of WW2, they even had to fight claims in the 70s of the airforce training the first women pilots!

In 1984, each WASP member was awarded the Victory Medal.

4. jjaelovesenglish

jjaelovesenglish New Member

via War44
    Honestly I think women during the war were trend setters and stood up and did what needed to be done. The United States and their allies would not have been successful in the war effort if it were not for all the women and children at home working in the factories and growing 'victory gardens'

5. jjaelovesenglish

jjaelovesenglish New Member

via War44
    What about Rosie the Rivator (not sure I spelled that right)? I know she was just a poster to symbolize all the women to go help with the war effort, but even high school students today are familiar with her image.

6. bam

bam recruit

via War44
    hey TxGirl was there any area in particular you are interested in? im writing my dissertation on this subject so have found lots of interesting books and sites which i'd be glad to point you towards if your still interested. its a very interesting topic to look at and it seemes never ending

bam