Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

favorite battle/commanders in sci fi?

Discussion in 'The Members Lounge' started by ray243, Sep 13, 2005.

1. ray243

ray243 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    We know that sci-fi usually has big battle but rather stupid tactics...but which is your favorite battle and favorite commander?

2. Ricky

Ricky Well-Known Member

via TanksinWW2
    Favourite in terms of amusement/entertainment value has to be the Ewoks slaughtering Imperial stormtroopers by throwing stones at them. :D

Favourite in terms of the sheer amount of stuff to pick apart has to be the entire Starship Troopers film. :D

Favourite in terms of just looking beautiful - Star Wars Episode VI, the battle that goes on as a backdrop to Luke & Palpatine fighting

Favourite in terms of being a 'good' battle - dunno. Yet to see one! :D

3. FNG phpbb3

FNG phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    James T Kirk. Doesn't believe in no win situations and therefore cheats to get around it!

Anyone ever play Star Fleet Battles the board game? We used to play it with two seperate board, one for each ship, with different people having different jobs, engineering, helm, captain, science/sensors.

FNG

4. Quillin

Quillin New Member

via TanksinWW2
    yes, those ewoks are so funny :p

funniest battle: i once saw a funny remake of star wars where darth vader says to luke: "i'm not only funny but also your ....... grandma, yes your Grandma" :D

5. Danyel Phelps

Danyel Phelps Active Member

via TanksinWW2
    Stormtroopers were green, Stormtroopers were ambushed by a far more numerous enemy, and Stormtroopers lacked ground warfare weaponry. They were clearly navy personel for some odd reason.

Besides, after a few minutes into the battle the green troops effectively had the Ewoks on the run and were inflicting very severe casualties.

6. Quillin

Quillin New Member

via TanksinWW2
    of coure they were, the empire had a huge star FLEET and star CRUISERS :D

7. Canadian_Super_Patriot

Canadian_Super_Patriot recruit

via TanksinWW2
    I'd hate to be the infantry in Starship troopers !

In Star Trek every time the borg come around Star Fleet sends a huge armada to destroy it , and when the Enterprise comes to see the battle the armada is almost nealy wiped out , Why don't they just send the enterprise in to kill it alone ? , they always manage too

8. Danyel Phelps

via TanksinWW2
    The Empire also has a sizable Army that we never really see in the movies, as well as Stormtrooper grade weapons ment for Ground action. These could be seen in ANH and ESB.

9. Quillin

Quillin New Member

via TanksinWW2
    are we talking about those big turtles with long legs with could be knocked down with that small space shuttle (you know, when they shoot a cable on a leg and make a couple circles until the damm thing falls down)? they s*ck (forgive my talking), why not wait to attack until a new death star is ready and then zap that planet into a million pieces

by the way, isn't it strange that it takes 20 years to make the first death star and then a couple of years for the second?

10. Danyel Phelps

via TanksinWW2
    You mean those things that can destroy shielded targets partialy burried under ground in a single blast from 17 kilometers away?

You mean those things that were completely, entirely immune to high intensity artilery bombardment within the gigawat range?

You mean the things that can carry 40+ seasoned soldiers right on top of their target with impunity?

Yeah, you're right. It sure sounds like they suck.

No, those aren't the Imperial Army, though the Imperial Army I do believe is equiped with those (They're called AT-ATs.)

Because the entire purpose of that attack was to take prisoners. If it wasn't, they would have just BDZ'd the entire planet and moved on.

Isn't it strange how it took so long to design, patent, and construct the first automobile and then it only took a couple hours to build the next one?

11. Ricky

Ricky Well-Known Member

via TanksinWW2
    I know the story around it. My amusement is based on the 'but that will never actually work' factor.

I just have the enduring image of an Ewok sitting on the foot of an AT-ST and hitting it with a stone club! :D

btw - not another topic on AT-ATs! :roll: :D

12. Ebar

Ebar New Member

On a space station in geosynchronous orbit above y
    via TanksinWW2
    A better question is the subject of ramming. Several times they've declared they're going to ram the borg (never followed through, the wimps!) If ramming is a viable tactic why not fill some over the hill starship with explosives and charge! :D

Oh when it comes to sucky sci fi forces Starship Trooper mobile infantry are in a league of their own. Okay Imperial stormtroopers can't hit the broad side of a mountain but at least their weapons have an effective range of more than six feet!

13. Danyel Phelps

via TanksinWW2
    Actualy the Stormtroopers had increadable accuracy considering they were almost always firing from the hip at moving targets using carbines.

14. Ebar

Ebar New Member

On a space station in geosynchronous orbit above y
    via TanksinWW2
    Wouldn't go as far a incredible but they would certainly wipe the floor with the mobile infantry (walking everywhere counts as mobile? :-? ) who could triple their effective range if there were equipped with pikes :eek:. But you're talking quality bad guys then look no further than the TIE fighter pilots; those guys on screen gave as good as they got.

15. Zhukov_2005

Zhukov_2005 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Yeah, they showed those accuracy skills quite well in that scene in EpIV when the Princess and the robots were getting shot at while running down a narrow hall and trying to escape from the cruiser thing. I would think that with the concentrated fire of all those stormtroopers, one "bullet" would have hit someone. :roll:

The TIE fighter battles looked like they were modeled after the Great Marinias Turkey Shoot. :D

Good question, but I never saw the tactical value in ramming what must be a trillion $ ship into an obviously inferior (not necessarily borg) enemy craft, especially when "Resistance is Futile". Furthermore, the borgs "ship" was always a cube right? Where the hell did they come up with the idea to build a cube ship? I bet the borg landing zone is a circle hole.

16. ray243

ray243 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    what about fleet combat in star wars...say return of the jedi and revenge or the sith...and what about favorite tactics in sci-fi...I hope it is not "one hero save everyone by killing someone or taking out superweapon" kind...but in terms of more practical and stragetic eg. battle of endor when the rebel fight fight the imperials at point blank range so as to get a shelter from the superlaser, as they might hit their own...

17. ray243

ray243 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    any comment of military Strategy or tactics used in sci-fi? Decisionmake by their generals or admirals, is it practicable or in real life, it would just waste a lot of troops?

18. Boba Nette

Boba Nette New Member

via TanksinWW2
    My favorite sci-fi commander is General Veers from The Empire Strikes Back.
    Also,take it easy on the Stormtroopers.I now know from experience that they can't see a damn thing while wearing those awesome helmets.

19. PMN1

PMN1 recruit

via TanksinWW2
    Not just cubes, go to

http://www.ditl.org/

and click on fleets...

20. PMN1

PMN1 recruit

via TanksinWW2
    They got two for price of one???

or possibly as John Hurt's character said in 'Contact' ...'typical government buracracy, why build one when you can spend twice as much building two?' or words to that effect...

:D