Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Field modifications and conversions to Allied vehicles.

Discussion in 'Weapons & Technology in WWII' started by JCFalkenbergIII, Sep 21, 2008.

1. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

Does anyone know how long the Cullins device was employed? Were they removed after the fighting moved out of the bocage? Or did thier use last farther into the war?

2. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

Here is an intersting one. I have seen camoflauge tarps and nets to cover artillery pieces but this one looks like a fence or something purpose made. Or just an easy way to carry extra supplies and equipment.

Attached Files:

3. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

Now it looks like quite a few vehicles were adapted to other uses such as medical. This one for dental work.

[​IMG]

4. bangalore_andy

bangalore_andy recruit

the words on stuart is pelangi isn't it?, wow ... I am from Indonesian, in my language pelangi is meaning rainbow, those any body can explain why this "pelangi" painted on this tank is the sign / code for the troop or something. forgive me about my bad poor english

5. paratrooper506

paratrooper506 Member

I guess but mostly you just see pointless decorations on vehicles

6. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

I really can't see what it says sorry. And not most, as some seem to think,are "pointless decorations" but served a purpose such as identifcation.:rolleyes:

7. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

[​IMG]

Sherman Bolster (Fascine) Carrier.

8. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

[​IMG]
    Im somewhat surprised to not find much on the use of the M3 series of halftracks being used for more engineering tasks.There were enough of them and the chassis should have been very adaptable.

9. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

[​IMG]

GMC railroad truck courtesy of Razin :).

10. T. A. Gardner

T. A. Gardner Genuine Chief

That was a fairly extensive and well thoughtout modification of the truck. Note how the fenders are cut neatly away to allow the wooden frame with car bumpers to be installed. The use of angle plates for reniforcement show a degree of craftsmanship in its construction. The ladder and cab step are nice touches. There is also an air horn added to the cab giving it a locomotive quality. Then in the bed is what appears to be a large slab of concrete added for weight to give better traction.

All in all not a bad conversion for a switcher locomotive.

11. razin

razin Member

It certainly seems to have been well used, look at the wear on the buffers, U.S. Ordnance Corps in England, crewed by Railway staff specifically enlisted from U.S. Railroad companies.

12. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

It certainly looks alot better then some of the Jeep conversions posted so far :).

13. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

M4 Crocodile: four M4 tanks converted by British for US 2nd Armored Division in NW Europe with the same armored fuel trailer as used on Churchill but the fuel line went over the hull.

[​IMG]

14. paratrooper506

paratrooper506 Member

I never saw a sherman with a flame thrower before and I never new they had towed fuel tanks.

15. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

16. razin

razin Member

Photo of M4A4 Sherman Crocodile sorry I know it's a bit grainy but there are very few photos of this type

View attachment 5255

Other M4 types on the Flamethrower thread

Attached Files:

17. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

[​IMG]

Heres a better shot.

18. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

"Progressively thicker armour was added to hull front and turret mantlet in various improved models, while field improvisations included placing sandbags, spare track links, or even logs for increased protection against shaped-charge rounds. General George S. Patton, informed by his technical experts that the standoff produced by sandbags actually increased vulnerability to shaped-charge weapons (a controversial opinion) and that the machines' chassis suffered from the extra weight, forbade the use of sandbags and instead ordered tanks under his command to have the front hull welded with extra armour plates, salvaged from knocked-out American and German tanks. Approximately 36 of these up-armored Shermans were supplied to each of the armored divisions of the Third Army in the spring of 1945."

http://hubpages.com/hub/World-War-II--Sherman-Tank-

19. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

Just read recently that some DUWKs used sandbag inprovised armor during the war. Does nyone have any pics of them being used?

20. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

Marmon-Herrington AC

Mk II:

With the British King's Dragoon Guards at Tobruk in 1941.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This had 4 wheel drive with a longer wheelbase. Early models were riveted with the rest welded. These were used against the Italians in East Africa. These were requested by the British War Office and were used in the Western Dessert from 1941 to the end of the Tunisian campaign.
    Some had field modifications of taking the turrets off and more powerful guns mounted behind gun shields. Guns that were used were Italian 20 mm and 47 mm Breda, German 37 mm and 28/20 mm taper bore, and French 25 mm.
    Other variants were artillery OP, ambulance, command car, fitters vehicle, and RAF contact car with AA Lewis gun in turret and radio antennae.

South Africa's Marmon-Herrington Armored Cars - World War II Vehicles