Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Finnish ski troops

Discussion in 'Winter and Continuation Wars' started by Istnick, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Istnick

Istnick Member

I like comparing these to German motorcycle troops. besides speed and mobility what made these guys so badass? Hit n run tactics? Local terrain and used to conditions?

2. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Many of these Finnish guys were already hunters in the real life before the war, used to being in the woods,and travelling with skis, and winter weather. If you put against them men that have lived in a city mostly, you know the end result. The same was with the Germans in Lapland, except for the mountain troops.

3. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

not to mention did were used to extreme cold weather and were good at camouflage

4. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

[​IMG]
    Once, the mighty Finnish army nearly brought the Soviet Union to its knees.
    now they are another tragic victim of global warming….

edhunter76, Istnick and sunny971 like this.
  5. Istnick

Istnick Member

hahaha thats pretty good picture. Wonder what wouldve happened if we would have fought Finns

6. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

7. edhunter76

edhunter76 Member

This is true, I can assure you that! :D

I was in the army 1996-97 and back then we used to move with skies a lot at the winter time and quite long distances. Now things have changed and youth can't even do skieing and winters have also changed to lot warmer during these 14 years, at least here in southern Finland.

8. edhunter76

edhunter76 Member

Things would have turned out bad for you ;)

9. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Just something I remembered from my army time. Not only skis, but we used to make 50 kilometer bicycle marches in minus 30 degrees. And you had your backpack with you that weighed some 30 kilograms in full weight. We put it on our bicycles back with tiny belts and you learnt quite fast to make the Backpack is very tight to the bicycle. If it was a bit loose, your bicycle would throw itself during driving from side to side. That was a military school you just had to learn, nobody helped you. And then you had the Finnish RK-62 in front of you hanging from your neck. Oh such a fun time ;)

[​IMG]

Think of this during winter..... ;) ;)

10. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

If you ever get to the position that you have a gun in front of you when you are using skis I suggest to have the gun as low as possible. I had it normally and almost fell due to bad skiing weather situation and the gun hit my teeth. I was lucky to only have a hit without losing any teeth.