Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Five For Hell, 1969 film

Discussion in 'WWII Films & TV' started by belasar, Sep 6, 2020.

1. belasar

belasar Court Jester

Another Italian made movie that isn't much more than a Dirty Dozen clone. Mostly a Italian cast 'highlighted' by Klaus Kinski, a actor I have always found to be a acquired taste, you either like him or not. I don't know if he was just there for the paycheck or it was a bit of stunt casting, either way he probably could have been left out with no effect on the overall story. In this he plays a sadistic SS officer (is there any other kind).

The plot is as follows, US troops reach the Gustav Line and fear a 'massive' German attack that might alter the war, a German woman turncoat advises that secret plans for the attack can be found in a safe held in a headquarters. The American's decide to sent a misfit group of five US soldiers to steal and return the plans. The team enters German lines and shoots up two enemy patrols because nothing says secret mission like lots of dead bodies left lying around. When they reach the HQ they change into full US kit to attack it even though earlier they had no such stuff with them.

This happens a lot, scenes seem disconnected and it feels made up on the fly. In the final act the 'German' extras are doing their best impression of Imperial Storm troopers (shoot a lot, hit nothing and die in heaps). The team gets the plans, kill the sadistic SS officer and head back to US lines.

There were attempts to make this a little quirky, and maybe it is a cultural issue about the humor, but to be honest these parts only seemed goofy. This Dirty Less Than Half Dozen can be skipped
    5_per_l'inferno.jpeg

2. George Patton

George Patton Canadian Refugee

It's an awful, hoaky, and over-the-top film but I enjoyed it. It's a good popcorn movie (or at least a good popcorn-and-lots-of-whiskey movie)

belasar likes this.
  3. belasar

belasar Court Jester

Everybody has a guilty pleasure or two. Someday just before I enter witness protection I may list mine! :p

4. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Appreciate the warning.

Will heed.