Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Floatplanes and American battleships

Discussion in 'The War at Sea' started by Ebar, Nov 26, 2004.

1. Ebar

Ebar New Member

On a space station in geosynchronous orbit above y
    via TanksinWW2
    I've noticed that American battleships kept their float planes at the extreme stern of the ship. I've often wondered what happened in action if the ship needed to fire directly astern? Did the crane, catapult and plane fold in some way or did the US navy simply say sod it we can always bolt them back on again afterwards.

2. Tiornu

Tiornu Member

via TanksinWW2
    At Guadalcanal, SoDak fired once on a bearing astern and set her scoutplane on fire. Her next salvo knocked the plane overboard.

3. Boba Nette

Boba Nette New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I would imagine the plane would easily be sacrificed if the ship needed to defend itself.In an offensive role,I would think the aircraft would be deployed far in advance of any engagement.

4. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I believe many capital ships also carried spare floatplanes (Sometimes partially dismantled for stowage) in hangers or storage areas incase those kept ready were damaged or lost.

5. liang

liang New Member

via TanksinWW2
    The more reason to fire the main guns across the beam. If you visit one of the four US Iowa class battleships, you will notice that if the main guns are fired directly ahead at the bow or the stern, it would wreak havocs on some of the ship's own structures.

6. scaramouche

scaramouche New Member

via TanksinWW2

I don't think the crane and catapult folded.althugh there was storage space for additional aircat and sparess aboard US attleships and cruisers...but the stern does seem a more logical position than amidships, aft or between the funnels, , as was common with European war vessels.. Look at photos of the "Graf Spee" affter the Battle of the River Plate-its floatplane was simply shot to pieces...but from 1942 onwards l really wonder about the role of such floatplanes aborad ships for anything other than liason..Most of the tasks entrusted to these planes were now provided by radar....

7. corpcasselbury

corpcasselbury New Member

via TanksinWW2
    True enough. However, radar did not completely take the place of a spotter aircraft, as was shown during the Gulf War, when the IOWA class ships used the remote controlled drones for target spotting and corrections.

8. scaramouche

scaramouche New Member

via TanksinWW2
    corpcasselbury,I've took a short trip to Camdem, where my cousin and other former grunts volunteered to chip and paint the BB New Jersey-and confirmed the fact that the cranes and catapout were not stowed below decks (old photographs and some of the crew which manned her during WW2) I seem to remeber that the battleship "North Carolina" preserved down you neck of the woods still retains her cranes, catapult and floatplanes am l correct?...

9. corpcasselbury

via TanksinWW2
    Yes, you are correct. USS NORTH CAROLINA does retain her cranes and catapults, as well as a Kingfisher floatplane (or a replica; I'm still not sure). The reason for this is that NORTH CAROLINA did not see any active service after WW2, while the IOWA-class ships did, which resulted in many modifications along the way.

10. JCalhoun

JCalhoun New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I was on board the USS Alabama (BB60) last weekend and the catapults and crane had no place to be stowed that I could see.

Unfortunately, Hurricane Ivan done some damage to some the aircraft at the park. The Kingfisher is one of them. All the damage was fairly light and repairs will begin shortly.

11. scaramouche

scaramouche New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Mobile is just as vulnerable as Pascagoula, Biloxi Mmiss) or any other point alog that Gulf coast..A friend of mine was stationed at Keesler AFB (Biloxi) and told me all ranks had to watch a mandatory documentary called "Camille" about the hurricane that blasted that town back in 1969...

CAlhoun, what other aircraft are here at that park aside from the Voiught OS2U-3?
    P.S. gotta dig pp a slide l took of one of the Alabama's sisterships l took in California in the late 1980s-think it was the "Washington"...

12. corpcasselbury

via TanksinWW2
    That's not possible; the battleship WASHINGTON was scrapped in the 1950s. She was a sister ship of NORTH CAROLINA, BTW, not ALABAMA.

13. scaramouche

scaramouche New Member

via TanksinWW2
    [Thanks for the correction-l have not found the slide yet.....

14. JCalhoun

JCalhoun New Member

via TanksinWW2
    The Alabama is a South Dakota class battleship. I think there were four of them.

The aircraft at the park are pretty varied and some are in good condtition while others are in fair condition. This doesn't take into consideration the recent damage by Ivan.

The park has the following:
    F4D Phantom (AL ANG)
    SR71 (USAF)
    F16C (USAF)
    B52 (USAF)
    P51D (USAAF)
    F105 (USAF)
    C47 (USAAF)
    B25 (USAAF)
    F4 Corsair (USMC) Korean War
    F8 Crusader (USN)

AFV's at the park are:
    M48 Patton (USA)
    M4 Sherman (USA)
    Amtrac (USMC)
    M26 Pershing (USA)
    M42 ? Duster (USA)
    T55 (Iraqi)

15. corpcasselbury

via TanksinWW2
    ALABAMA's surviving sister ship is USS MASSACHUSETTS. Aside from the recently displayed NEW JERSEY and MISSOURI, the only other battleship preserved is USS TEXAS.

16. JCalhoun

JCalhoun New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I've always wanted to see the Texas. Since it's a WW1 vet, it has that classic battleship style.

Isn't the North Carolina in Wilmington, NC?

17. Ebar

Ebar New Member

On a space station in geosynchronous orbit above y
    via TanksinWW2
    I think the Japanese still have a Pre Dreadnought battleship kicking around as a museum piece, love to see that. Texas, well those early generation Dreadnoughts had more personality than the later stuff. Greece I believe had an old armoured cruiser. Then there is Victory, Warrior and the Mary Rose in Portsmouth.

Yes sir, as soon as I win the lottery it's going to be Battleship World Tour time. :D

18. JCalhoun

JCalhoun New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I'll be happy to take anybody here on a tour of the USS Alabama Battleship Memorial Park. Just need to get yourself to Mobile, AL. :D

19. me262 phpbb3

me262 phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    been there :grin:

20. scaramouche

scaramouche New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Take any pics ME?