Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Flyer was no shrinking Violet

Discussion in 'WWII General' started by Elinor Florence, Nov 4, 2015.

1. Elinor Florence

Elinor Florence Active Member

Violet Milstead was one of the elite few Canadian women who served as a ferry pilot in wartime, flying 47 different types of aircraft. Read her story here: www.elinorflorence.com/blog/ferry-pilot

Attached Files:

Fred Wilson and Otto like this.
  2. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

o, those old aircraft look so tiny, and unsafe....you were really flying and a flyer in one of those......

Elinor Florence likes this.
  3. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

It never ceases to amaze me that many people left the comfort of home to willingly participated in WW2, many on the front lines. Vi is certainly an example of this. Thanks for another good read.

Elinor Florence likes this.
  4. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

i would think it a common 'trait' in the young....the college age young always wanting to ''change'' the world, join a special group, fight for justice...''let's go on an adventure!''..but,as you say, there were numerous others like married parents that risked their lives.....such as spies, Stauffenberg, etc....that does amaze me.....

5. denny

denny Member

I was just thinking similar while reading the fire brigade post.
    WWII was a Tiger that The Whole World grabbed by the tail.
    So much sadness, bravery, death, humanity and treachery all in one event.
    Was just watching a German Soldier retell his visit home, To Berlin, in 1944. The soldier said HE felt bad for the civilians, because they were not use to it, and that they must have been terrified while hiding in basements.
    A soldier (not that they do not get terrified) are caught up in the war, fighting, and become part of the insanity. Kind of touching the way he felt for the "average" citizen.

6. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

very, very interesting...should be a thread by itself.....Violet was in the ''middle'' of the war and had to '''adapt''' to the in''human''ness of it....I've pointed out in other threads how ''bad'' [ ? ] human traits are layed bare during war...not only by the servicemen, but also by civilians....as you say--bravery, death, treachery, etc....all unmasked....