Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Flying Tigers (AVG) Roster

Discussion in 'The CBI Theater' started by Alan1971, Sep 3, 2008.

1. Alan1971

Alan1971 Member

The attached URL contains the members of the Flying Tigers (AVG).

While many claim to be Flying Tigers, there are only 311 individuals who served in the AVG from July 4th, 1941 to July 4th, 1942. They are considered to be the only official members of the American Volunteer Group (AVG) . Their names and classifications are listed in the URL.

The name Flying Tigers was actually used by two groups: the AVG and the 14th Air Force.

In the AVG roster, there are two women: Doreen Davis (Steno-Typist) and Emma Jane Foster (Nurse).

The AVG roster also has three asterisks (***) by some of the names. This notation indicates AVG members who did not fulfill their contract or were not honorably discharged when the Flying Tigers were officially disbanded on July 4th, 1942.

Greg "Pappy" Boyington, a Medal of Honor recipient, also has the ***.

Enjoy

The Story of The Flying Tigers-AVG Roster

Erich likes this.
  2. Alan1971

Alan1971 Member

An update

There were four women (not two as I originally stated) that were members of the Flying Tigers: Doreen Davis (Steno-Typist), Sharon McHenry (Clerk-Engineering), Emma Jane Foster (Nurse) and Eloise Whitwer (Steno-Typist).

[FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

3. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

thanks Alan but your roster excludes a very famous personality from my southern Orygun town grown - up who shot down 10 Japanese A/C and was shot down himself over China. Johnny Hampshire.

we were blessed some years ago to attend with my BSA troop the re-naming of our small and local airfield to Johnnys name of honour along with 4 living AVG pilots. It was good to see friend Ken Jernstedt one more time ...... our BSA troop did the official flag ceremony with the Flag retired at the end of the ceremony and given to the 4 AVAG veterans

4. Alan1971

Alan1971 Member

Hi Erich

I did some digging and found several pictures of the AVG. They are an excellent group of pictures if anyone wants to look at them.

American Volunteer Group

Captain Hampshire appears beneath the header

23rd Fighter Group part of 14th Air Force from march 1943 on

with the following text:

# 161
    Capt. John F. Hampshire
    Hengyang, april 1943
    (Shotdown + KIA may 2, 1943)

It is near the bottom of the post.

Thanx for the heads up Erich.

5. Alan1971

Alan1971 Member

[FONT=&quot]Guess what. I found two more women (which brings the total to 6) the number of women on the AVF Flying Tigers Roster. They were on the roster but I missed them. I think I will get a new pair of glasses.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Doreen Davis[/FONT][FONT=&quot] (Steno-Typist)[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Sharon McHenry (Clerk-Engineering)[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Emma Jane Foster (Nurse)[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Olga S. Greenlaw (Staff, Administration)[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Jo B. Stewart (Nurse)[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Eloise Whitwer (Steno-Typist)[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]On September 09, 2008 9:02 PM, I saw this post and discovered that Rita Wong was not listed on the AVF Roster. I emailed the thread to the AVF Secretary.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]To the Editor. Here is an obit of Rita Wong, a nurse for the 14th Flying Tigers. I cannot find her on the roster.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]http://blogs.citypages.com/corpus/2007/06/only_chinese_nurse_who_cared_f.php[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]On Tue 9/09/08 9:20 PM, I received the following response from the AVG Secretary:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Alan, Thank you. The reason you don't find her on our roster is that we list only those who served in the American Volunteer Group (AVG) Flying Tigers. Elmer Bukey maintains a website dedicated to the 14th and other CBI outfits, and I'm sure he would be interested in this obit. He can be reached at cbivet*webtv.net. Jo Neal, AVG Editor[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Tue 9/09/08 10:49 PM, I forwarded the email contents to Elmer Bukey.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]As of Wed, 10 Sep 08, 11:20 AM CST, I have not heard from him.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Will keep you posted via this thread.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I am working on short bios/obits on these women. I will add them to this thread when completed.[/FONT]

6. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Alan I slightly edited the email adress by changing the "@" into a "*" . This will avoid bad surprises from spammers.

7. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Alan good research and yes a fine pic of John. I have more in the way of pics and paper clippings I will try and hunt down in the buried data in the office.

thanks for posting all of this, great dedication to some great airmen

E

8. Alan1971

Alan1971 Member

From Skipper

Alan I slightly edited the email adress by changing the "@" into a "*" . This will avoid bad surprises from spammers.

Hi Skipper

Thanx for the edit. I should have caught that but did not.

My Spam recipe is usually to replace ".com" with "dot com".

I think I like your idea "*" better.

In addition to getting new glasses, I should probably get tested for Alzheimer's.

9. marksman

marksman recruit

I met and talked with David "Tex" Hill and knew Eloise Whitwer, steno-typist for the Flying Tigers. I can tell a little more if you're interested.
    --marksman

10. Iceberger

Iceberger recruit

Those men are highly regarded and respected by all Chinese!

11. Gramanita

Gramanita recruit

Hello! Eloise Whitwer was my dear friend. I am wondering how you knew her. I knew her when she was a professor of biology at Bowling Green State University in Ohio. She once gave me some opals from a bracelet she carried out as she drove a truck out over the Burma Road when the Flying Tigers evacuated. I believe she also taught at the University of Rangoon prior to that departure. As long as she was alive, she looked forward to reunions of the Flying Tigers and attended them all over the world. I miss her!!