Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

For everyone on this forum, please read..

Discussion in 'WWII Today' started by C.Evans, Mar 9, 2001.

1. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

I had mentioned about going to a funeral in San Antonio. This comes from the USAF Command Chaplain. We lose at a rate of 1,000 American WW2 vets every day. This is up from January 2000 figures of appx 5,000 a week to about 7,000 a week.

Just for a years period that is about another what? 104,000 more vets passing away over the last years weekly figures.

If you ever had planned on writing to any of these gents, I would suggest doing so soon. I know there are still about 8 million US vets left but, these figures on death are rapidly growing.

I hope I get some acknowledgement on this because we can find some of these guys to send out thanks to.

Thanks for letting me rant a bit but, I felt this was too important to not give it some notice here and I hope you good people will pass these figures along to others.

Take care--yours--Carl.

2. R Fogt

R Fogt Member

Carl,

You couldn't be more right. I kick myself every day for not sitting down with my father and discussing this when I had the chance. That guilt is something I will have to learn to live with. On the flip side, this was not a topic that was readily discussed among my relatives (all Wehrmacht). It would be akin to asking your relative - "Hi Uncle Karl! Let's talk about the sh**tiest time of your life!" - for lack of a better comparison.
    But the fact remains - we are losing members of our living history at an alarming rate as their generation comes to a close. I will pledge to accumulate as much as I can from my Uncle in Bavaria without imposing on his health, but the sad fact is, there is probably a wealth of information under all our noses at the local retirement home right down the street. Just a thought.

R Fogt

3. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Very well written Roland--thanks. I am a firm believer in preserving as much history as possible. I am hoping others on this forum will at least read what is written here, and will take it from there...

4. Otto

Otto Rested & Resupplied with MREs. Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Well said guys. I had no relatives in the war, but anyone with info about family in WW2 can send me their info and scanned photos to post on ww2n.com, unedited.

5. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

My regrets are that I did not actively persue this alot sooner.

6. A.GREG

A.GREG Member

I do beleive that I got started getting interested in this topic a little late. I had hoped to interview some other vets that I've heard lived not to far away, and just get some information and insights on some topics. But many of them have passed away in the last few months and its upsetting to see such great heroes that served our cause so well finally leave. There are our last link to the past. Yes, books and articles are written about WWII, but they came from personal accounts and facts that were thought of and said by the soldiers and commanders who risked their lives for the sake of humanity.

7. A.GREG

A.GREG Member

Sorry about that guys, my computer was freezing up and sent 3 instead of one.

8. Ron

Ron Member

it's ok i'll just delete the extras. Just for future reference..if you do this again...you can delete your own posts. If you look to the right of where the date of the post is (it's in red) There is an icon with a pencil...that is how you edit posts. If you click on that your message will come up in type...on the top left side of the page is a check box that you can check to delete the post...check it and hit submit and it will be deleted. You also use this "edit" function if you posted something and want to edit what you wrote...just change what you want changed or add what you want added and hit submit...you can only edit/delete your own posts.

9. A.GREG

A.GREG Member

Thanks Ron, I am kind of new to this site, and am still getting the hang of it.

10. Miro

Miro Member

I definitely agree with the above posters, there is so many things we will never know because the only people that did, died years ago. I am still kicking myself in the bvtt for not being obnoxious enough with my grandfathers. They were both veterans having served with Titos partisans in Yugoslavia.
    Myfathers dad has told me quite a bit, he was always very chatty, but my mothers fathr never had much to say, I guess because he was injured for a while and then he caught typhus, so he was out of action for much of the fighting. But my dad's father started the war as a reservist (at 40 yrs age) in the former Royal Yugoslav Army, guarding the port and naval base of Kotor (in todays Montenegro). When their commander realized that the Germans and Italians were closing in, he ordered everybody to take their stuff and leave, since the British had also denied a Yugoslav request to evacuate Kotor with their Mediterranean Navy (my grandpa never knew this, I did a bit of research on the war and read a couple of books). In July 1941, my grandpa then heard from a local priest that there was going to be an uprising in Montenegro on the 13th, and he decided to take his rifle, his horse and two mules and together with a couple of more people from his village (including three brothers that later died) he took off into the mountains and joined the newly forming 6th Montenegrin "Assault" Brigade (which was not yet full strength, more a battalion than a brigade). In the next three and a half years, he fought in numerous battles (he never actually told me if he killed anybody), and in the spring of 1945, he was still alive, unlike his brothers and the mules, while the horse was used for transporting supplies rather than people.
    Here his reports always got a little vague, and when I read up his brigades history later, I found out that in early 1945 his brigade participated in the elimination of several German and Croatian fascist 'Ustashi' formations. I am pretty sure there was a lot of bloodshed involved and certainly this is why my randfather was always reluctant to talk about this little chapter. After eliminating the last remnants of the occupation and collaborateur forces, the Partisans advanced through Slovenia into Austria and he finished the war a few miles from Graz in Austria.

I thought I would share this here, since at least here there are people, who are interested in the topic, and there is not many of those left either :( . I'm going down to motenegro again this summer, and I'll try and see if I can try and steal some photos off my grandma :cool:, so I can maybe post them here.

thanks

mIRo

11. Mussolini

Mussolini Gaming Guru WW2|ORG Editor

My grandfather was a bombadier/navigator in WWII, though he enetered the war in '43. I wasnt as interested in WWII as i am now when i was younger, so i never got a chance to talk to him about his experiances. He passed away when i was about 6 from heart-failure. Anyways, the last time my grandmother came to visit us (shes lives in England) she brought over pictures of his squadron/himself/his crew, his RCAF (though he served in the RAF) Flight book, his medals, and a few other items. I've read his flight log and he mostly bombed industrial sites, oil plants, assemnly lines, etc throughout Europe. He even took part in tactical bombing during the Rhine Crossing. He somehow came into possesion of a cap badge (i believe) made of gold that bekong to maybe a German Paratrooper or fighterpilot. He also has several maps of the routes he flew/areas he bombed. I dont know much about his experiance, but that is all i know.

12. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Well said guys and thanks for sharing their stories.

Miro, theres is a book written by: James Lucas called: Last Days of the Reich, the collapse of nazi Germany, May 1945.

This book mentions some good material about Partisan activity in the areas you mentioned. If you have a chance to read this book, I think you will like it.

13. Gibson

Gibson Member

Carl-this topic needed to be posted and Im sorry I didnt read it sooner when I was temporarily AWF (away form forums, heheh). This idea was why I have decided to start writing to German veterans of WWII and would also like to start writing to our own US veterans.

If anyone could give me a URL with US veterans addresses Id very much like to contact them - especially if they earned a medal because then you know they fought hard in the war and proved themselves for doing a great act, or acts.

14. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Gibson :

The site I am giving you may be defunct, as I have not checked it for quite sometime. But it did have many US Armed Forces links to check out with vets organizations....hope this can be of some help, if it works.

WW 2 web at www.bunt.com/~mconrad

Cheers und Biers

E.

15. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Gibson-no problem. I have a list of US vets from I think an armored unit that eventually stayed in Germany as part of the occupation forces. Anyway, I have mayby 10-20 vets email addresses. As soon as I find out what I did with that list, I will try to remember to give them to you.

Some of these guys were part of the occupation but had not fought in the war, but the rest did. Give me a swift kick in the ares, as a reminder, if I forget to give them to you with in a few days. [​IMG]

Also, the Knights Cross Recipients list is now back up and open for business on the title page--thanks to Otto :D :D