Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

For German kisten lovers

Discussion in 'Uniforms, Personal Gear (Kit) and Accessories' started by Skipper, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Otto, jagdpanther44 and Martin Bull like this.
  2. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

That site is absolutely unique and superb - I have had it 'bookmarked' for about three years.

It's quite amazing really, just how many boxes and crates the Wehrmacht used........

3. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

I knew you 'd love this jewel . I'm not surprised you already knew it

4. jagdpanther44

jagdpanther44 Battlefield wanderer

I must admit that I've never come across that website before. :unsure:

Thanks for sharing it Skipper.

5. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Another find : This is a Luftwaffe crate for 20mm Flak grenades (Panzergrantenpatronnen ) . It was last supplied in 1944 and the maker is DXD . It still has part of three different labels and of course stencil markings.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Martin Bull likes this.
  6. Martin Bull

I just love crates like this..................

7. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

So do I, picked up at the gates of Normandy last Sunday .

8. AndyPants

AndyPants Ace

Cool looking crate Skipper ...make sure that woodworm is killed off though!

9. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

I will check for it and will also clean the metal and cover it with graphite cream or polish . I usually clean my crates before posting , but I was so glad I got this one that I couldn't wait.

10. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

a new find today and gosh how this one was heavy. This rare FP.02 survivor It was sold at a local fair by the guy who had just pulled it out of his barn.

The Kist is reinforced and sealed with cardboard and weights + 20 kilos empty! It was meant for heavy Pionier fuzes and could hold up to 50 kilos (so 70 kilos when it was full! ) .
    It has a great maker marking, a date (1939) and a clear waffenamt number. Besides there are still parts of two labels inside.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Latest find: a transport case for a German 88mm Flak shell . Icing on the cake the cap protection was still inside the case !
    This is a late war version with hinge system on the lid and dated 1945. Some of the original paint is still there, including the words "Luftdicht" (sealed) , the maker and the waffenamt number. I've always wanted on like these. Yeesssss!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Martin Bull likes this.
  12. Martin Bull

That's a great item - what a 'find' !

13. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

At 1pm . Actually I firts went to a bigger fair and came back empty handed. I decided to go a much smaller place and among the plastic toys made in China........ I just went wow.

14. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Latest pick up and one I've never seen before, not even on my favorite Kisten site.

This seems to be a captured (Beute) Kist for Potato mashers. The outside label clearly mentions the Stiel Granaten and there is also an inside label with a 41-42 date.

In my opinion it is converted French crate (one can still see a red mention "Haut" instead of the usual "Oben" . There is a Waffenamt marking in the wood also . Finally there seems to be a Black stencil marjing on the top. I don't knowwhetehr this is a German code or a faded French one. I love this little gem .

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Martin Bull likes this.
  15. Martin Bull

Very interesting item, Skipper !

I've just looked in the same place that you look and can't find it also......

It does share features with other German-made boxes ( eg the three screws holding the upper part of the latch, design of hinges, wooden joints etc ). Definitely a 'case' for more research.... ( Groan ! )

16. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Thanks, can you decipher the line above the Stielgranaten one. I wonder what it could be .

I will take more pictures with the lid markings (code) and what seems to be a WA marking on the side. This would make it a German box rather than a Beute one. Also the French markinsg could have been added by chalk by Todt workers.

17. Martin Bull

Could it be 'Splittering' or something very similar ?

This was of course the fragmentation sleeve which fitted over the Stielgranate.......

18. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

I was thinking about "Splintterringe" . This would mean the entire box was filled with pins for potato mashers and that this was a specific supply box for spares . If this were the case, it would be a rather rare model and the pieces of wood would possibly be separations for smaller carboard boxes .

The second possibility would be "Splitterringe Stielhangranate 2" which would mean it is a box for the entire thing . (the smaller box had 12, I beleive , so this would be a double sized one for 24.

I'm still not certain about the spelling of the first part of the word. Most interesting.

19. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

The code on the lid could be "4tM1b5" and the WA bird is followed by a "42" date.

I also read the word" abgenommen" ( very small under the Stielhand granaten) and inside the lid there is a leftover of a label with 41/42 and an abreviation that could be related to weight .

20. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

My latest find! This tropen color Kist for 1500 rounds. Markings and paint are great. The zinc box plus labels are missing. The makers (HGB?) , date (38 upside down) and waa stamps are ok, but hard to decypher.

This will be great for a Südfront scene!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]