Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

For German kisten lovers

Discussion in 'Uniforms, Personal Gear (Kit) and Accessories' started by Skipper, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Smiley 2.0

Smiley 2.0 Smiles

this site is really cool, thank you for sharing Skipper.

2. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Thanks Smiley, this shows that after 70 years one can still find stuff like this .

3. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Does anybody know the meaning of the "B" ?

4. Smiley 2.0

Smiley 2.0 Smiles

You know some people who aren't that into history will say that these are just boxes and why would they have any value or that they're pointless. But to people like me and everyone else on this forum, it is a fascinating piece of history. Who would have thought that boxes would have been so cool? We like to look deeper into what it was used for and its just so hard to put my thoughts into words trying to say this but its a living piece of history. it is just so cool. :dance1: Once again Skipper this is really neat and thank you for sharing this with us.

Unfortunately I am unsure what the "B" stands for. :unsure:

bronk7 likes this.
  5. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Two more great additions to this great thread. i would have never expected to find two German crates the same day, from two different sellers at a village flea market!

[​IMG]]

1) Luftwaffe kist for 4 metal boxes containing each 15 incendirry bombs. . The label code : 4 x 15 B1 (B is for Brandbombe) . It is an early model dated 1935! This is why is fully hinged , instead of the cheaper rope system. These crates were never to be sealed and were taped instead. It was not for sale and the seller used it to carry teddy bears in it. i made an 30 euro offer and the crate was mine.

[​IMG][​IMG][/URL][​IMG]

[​IMG][/URL]

Martin Bull likes this.
  6. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

2) Sealed Patronen kist for 1500 rounds , fully labelled and with zinc container included ! The label (Bordwaffen) suggests this was for an armored vehicle . 1939 made by dxQ (I think) . First issued in 1940 and refill stamp from 1942 included. The rounds are marked Weiss (White) .

Note that even the zinc container has two Waffenamt stamps.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Martin Bull and Smiley 2.0 like this.
  7. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

That's a great piece, Skipper - superb stamps and labels, too. ( These things seem to be especially tasty to woodworm....)

8. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Just one of them, but I took care of those . Iwas most surprised by the WA stamps on the zinc. You'd have expected those to get faded away first. Did you see the other box on the previous page ?

9. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

Great pieces. Seem to be in excellent shape.

10. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

You sometimes find a crate. You almost never find one at a garage sale. When you find one they mostly have no labels. Finding the zinc is quite exceptionnal . Now imagine finding two the same day, both with labels and one with zinc (the other one orignally never had one ). This is what happened to me and yes, they are in excellent shape.

11. Martin Bull

To find both like that makes for a great day !
    These boxes are so easy to find in Continental Europe ( obviously, they were very useful to farmers, garage owners, etc etc ) but, to the collector, the presence ( or lack of ) labels make or break the item.

12. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Not that easy Martin, I only find a few decent ones per year, sometimens none at all. I also found a double metal 08-15 WW1 Maxim box but di not post it because it's not WW2 related.

13. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Something rare (if not unique) I have never ever seen one before , and to be honest I didn't even know what it was.

This is a genuine box for the rare Zielfeurergerät 38 training machine gun. (info found on the forgotten weapons site) and even they don't have a an illustration of this box .

http://www.forgottenweapons.com/zielfeuergerat-38-training-machine-gun/

the ZF Ger 38 was used for training and fired blanks . Icing on the cake the content label was still with it . Note the "Patronen ölen stencil" which was a reminder to systematically grease rounds before use .

This gun was found in small quantities in Germany in 1945 .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Note the pins to close the boxes. Thse are most unusual for german systems..

Smiley 2.0 and Martin Bull like this.
  14. Martin Bull

It's just incredible to me how many different boxes the Germans had. It sees like one for every conceivable thing.......

Great find though, Skipper ! :salute:

15. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Thanks Martin. I'm actually happy to have this one, but I missed another one, which looked like a Mg round metal box but with Weimar eagle marking and twice as wide as the usual box... It had already three colour camouflage too...

Anyway, to go back to my box, note the two metal holders : one for the label and one for the instruction manuel . This shows that even some Germans didn't know how to use this gun. It's the first time I see such metal holders.

16. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Hello again lads. I picked up another one. Saw it in a truck before anyone else. It had some rusted tools in it , so the seller said that if I wanted the empty box, I could put the tools in another box for him. The Kist still has three labels, the originals linnen and leather straps, but had some woodworm damage. I took care of the worms and it came out pretty nice with a surprise marking on the lid "Waffen engiftung " = weapon decontamination . The Labels are for 1500 Mauser S rounds, but considering the markings I wouldn't be surprised whehter it heds some losentine later (either brown bakelite bars or orange bakelite bottles .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Damn, I'm afraid my latest find went unheeded. Maybe a bump will revive this thread.

18. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Are you guys still around? I have a new rare find to show.

19. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Quite a rarety I believe! While I have seen several gasschutzhaube boxes for one single wounded soldier , this is the first time I have ever spotted a large box for 3 units!
    It clearly states 3 gasschutzhauber , using the plural . The box is much larger (about the size of a Tellerminenbox. I can't find any in my box , or on the internet. The Waffenamt number , maker and "41" date leave no doubt. The condition is not bad at all ,with almost all the original paint , considering it was used as a toolbox...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Martin Bull likes this.
  20. Martin Bull

I have never, ever seen one of these and I've now looked at many different types of German case at militaria shows. It's very well-made and, as you say, the Waffenamt is definitive. A great find in great condition - I especially like the paint ! :salute: