Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

For Martin and Erich - List of USAAF bases...

Discussion in 'WWII Today' started by Stevin, Nov 2, 2002.

1. Stevin

Stevin Ace

2. Bish OBE

Bish OBE Member

Don't i feel the idiot. Ive been trying to find a list of airfields in East Anglia, especially Norfolk, for years. It just never occured to me to ask here. Thanks Stevin.

3. Stevin

Stevin Ace

Well Bish, you don't even have to ask! ;)

4. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

Interesting site, Stevin ! I rather like the wintry photo of Lavenham tower, very atmospheric...

For anyone thinking of visiting, the two 'After The Battle' classics by Roger Freeman and the ATB team ( 'Airfields of the Eighth -' and 'Airfields of the Ninth - Then & Now' are absolutely essential ( although 'Eighth..' is rather out-of-date now, sadly ).

5. Bish OBE

Bish OBE Member

Now, can any of you guys suggest some sites that might have photos of any of the aircraft at these bases, especially the Norfolk ones.

The reason i ask is that one of the modeling projects i have in mind is to do an aircraft from every airbase in Norfolk, wether it be WW2 or after.

I already have Coltishall covered, with 3 Jags, one for each Squadron. Now i just need some photos for the rest, wether they be USAAF or RAF.

Thanks in advance

6. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

I've had a browse around the 'net but can't quite find anytjing suitable.

Possibly the best bet would be a copy of Roger Freeman's 'The Mighty Eighth' which has a nice section of colour drawings showing colour schemes of every unit. The book ( which is considered a standard reference work ) has been through several editions so doesn't fall into the 'rare book' category - I picked mine up for a tenner.

7. Bish OBE

Bish OBE Member

Thanks Martin, i'll keep my eyes open for hat.

I think i may take a trip to the 8th Air Force Libary in Norwich next time i'm home. I normally don't have the time, but i'll have to make a point to go.

8. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Stevin :

Thanks for that hot link ! I'll take a very long day in two weeks to look it all over very carefully.

Bish, quite an undertaking and I fully agree with martin. Get Freeman's book it is a standard and a must have for your files......also maybe check through as many private bomb group web-sites for any variations in tail, wing and fuselage markings. www.armyairforces.com and www.b24web.com might be some good sources.

E