Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

For the motherland? Stalingrad.

Discussion in 'Eastern Europe October 1939 to February 1943' started by tommy tater, Sep 6, 2008.

1. SMLE shooter

SMLE shooter Member

I watched history channel and they said the same thing. :eek: And the Milatary channel said the same. Do you think they could both be wrong . I also read books and they say the same thing. I read alot of books about wwII.

2. Za Rodinu

Za Rodinu Aquila non capit muscas

Well, those Night Wiches, White Rose, etc. were fighting pilots, and those female snipers were quite good at their business. Perhaps by "real combat" you mean not fighting as infantry soldiers? No, no nation used female infantry troops.

We have discussed the reliability of HC and the like in

http://www.ww2f.com/wwii-general/23353-do-you-consider-history-channel-3.html

Please feel free to add to that thread to avoid hijacking this one ;)

By the way, I'm resurrecting the thing, look it up on the link above :)

3. Firefoxy

Firefoxy Dishonorably Discharged

Infantry means Footsoildier or ground troops?
    I was hoping there was, it would of been interesting to read about.

4. Firefoxy

Sir, How do you get the Milatary Channel? Is the Milatary channel about only ww2?

5. Za Rodinu

Please, Foxy, when you find an unfamiliar word put it through www.wikipedia.com ...

And on military Channel, I supposed that question would be better asked of your Cable TV provider, wouldn't it?

6. Firefoxy

Nice one sir,that's a great help.

7. tommy tater

tommy tater Member

8. Triple C

Triple C Ace

There was in fact ONE rifle division that arrived Stalingrad with half of its rifles when it detrained because the German fighter-bombers destroyed the trains transporting their weapons. The situation was so dire that the unit was ordered to scavage as many rifles it could find and went into combat the same day.

The rest of the apocryphal stories about every two man a rifle probably had its origin in WWI when some Russian units did not have enough small arms. This was very rare or non-existent during WW2.

9. John Louies

John Louies Member

i can't decide which side should i believe,but i've played Call Of Duty 2 and Russians are defending Stalingrad while waves of German troops charge at them..the Russians scream "Fot The Motherland!!!";)

10. Za Rodinu

On Call of Duty 3 they will be shouting "Harry for England and Saint George"!

11. bigfun

bigfun Ace

Oh great, now you are going to tell me that COD isn't historically correct? Great.

12. Miguel B.

Miguel B. Member

That's Za for you... Always spoiling one's hopes and dreams:(

Cheers...

13. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

I can't believe you are honestly taking the Hitler Channel and Military Channel as sources. Their 'documentaries' tend to be at best dubious at worst just plain wrong. In this instance they are almost certainly wrong, I have seen History Channel documentaries claim Hitler was Jewish and others continuing to spread the myth of the 'Stalingrad Sniper duel,' both of which have been fairly comprehensively debunked.

Whilst in WW1 the Tsars armies were often sent to the front without weapons this was not often the case in WW2, the rifle and clip story is an old myth that has been kept going through ignorance and people not actually checking their sources.

14. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

LOL You just noticed this? :eek: :p LOL. Just remember it takes"5 Shermans firing at once to destory a Tiger" LOL. It really is a wonder how much out there is taken at face value or is believed to be totally accurate.And when faced with the correct information to the contrary of what they believe they seemed offended or defensive. LOL

15. tommy tater

tommy tater Member

there's a Hitler channel??! I hope its just information & not subliminal fascist messages from the "Fuher" himself!

16. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

:rofl:

Great stuff! Tell me more. Please!!!

:rofl:

17. tovarisch

tovarisch Member

I think that the information you've been referring to is highly unreliable, if not irrelevant as a whole. All of these books and movies you're coming across are biased in one way or another. Watching 'Enemy At The Gates' and using that as a historical resource? Dude, that's like watching Spongebob to get an overall idea of the marine world. I suggest you read some translated Soviet accounts of Stalingrad, memoirs perhaps. And if you've never been, I strongly advise you to visit Stalingrad (Volgograd, as it's now called) and go to the 'Rodina-Mat'' memorial at Mamaev Kurgan.

[​IMG]

18. Heinrich

Heinrich Member

just dont xpect to find any names there ..:rolleyes:

19. USMC

USMC Member

I would love to go see that.

20. tovarisch

tovarisch Member

I would be deeply honoured if you took the time to pay a visit to one of the greatest memorials that Russia's got to offer. Rodina-Mat' is absolutely immense, she towers above the whole city as a reminder of Stalingrad 1943. Visiting Pavlov's House and the Battle of Stalingrad Museum, not to mention the Eternal Fire Memorial (located at Mamaev Kurgan as well), would definitely be time well spent, as many people tend to overlook Soviet history, especially the nation's contribution to the war, and tend to concentrate more on the negative aspects of the period, using irrelevant sources (such as Call Of Duty or Hollywood films, or extremely biased books) instead of studying and considering the amazing valor, bravery and courage that my ancestors showed during the war, and the sacrifice that the Soviet Union laid on the altar of freedom. Using the term 'Human Waves' is unbelievably disrespectful to people that actually defeated Hitler's armies (at least inflicted the most harm to the Nazi war machine), conquered Berlin and brought back peace to Europe.

Anyway, it's just an amazing place to go to.

Eternal Fire Memorial
    [​IMG]

Pavlov's House
    [​IMG]

The annihilated mill building near the entrance to the Battle Of Stalingrad Museum (the only building in Volgograd to have been left in its wartime destroyed state)
    [​IMG]

And, Heinrich, what names were you referring to? (just out of interest)

Tomcat, Sloniksp and sniper1946 like this.