Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

For Those Who Served

Discussion in 'Honor, Service and Valor' started by Biak, Nov 11, 2019.

1. Biak

Biak Adjutant Patron  

Today is Veterans Day. A day which we should set aside our differences (and God knows we have a few) and give thanks to those few who stepped up when almost no one else would. Yeah I know I stole that line from someone else, Major Lacey was/is a Soldier, retired now and pursuing the good life but still serving his Bothers and Sister of the US military by working with an organization that makes sure they receive the helping hand they may need. A man I'm fortunate to call my friend and an example of why we Honor the best this Country has to offer. I know he wouldn't mind.
    Currently our family has three serving; a Lt. Col. with the 101st, a Sgt with the Army Reserve and the latest addition: a Private 1st class with the US Army. If this keeps up it won't be too long until our family tradition will consist of 100 years of continuous service. While I didn't have the privilege of serving I've done my best to do as the Major once told me:" You have your part and we have our part. Your support is a powerful weapon in it's own right."
    I guess what I'm trying to say is while we go about our usual daily grind keep in mind those currently serving who are going about their day and never forget those who went about their day. If you see a Soldier, Sailor, Coast Guardsman, Airman or Marine acknowledge their dedication to the most important 'job' ever offered; Protecting Us. A simple nod and a smile goes a long way. Standing in line? Buy them that cup of coffee or sandwich. See a youngster in uniform pumping gas? Pony up and slip the cashier an extra 10 or 20 and tell them, "put it on pump #". You'll be glad you did trust me!

Poppy and Half Track like this.
  2. gtblackwell

gtblackwell Well-Known Member Patron  

Well said Biak, a good reminder for all of us. An uncle of mine, my mother's older brother, died at 90. He ended WW2 in an artillery battalion of the 4th Armored division. Never discussed the war, led a dignified successful life and was buried in a rural Alabama cemetery. He requested a bugler, also to be a veteran. to play "Taps" at his funeral and left an envelope for the minister to give to said bugler with a hundred dollar bill in it with the request he takes his family out to dinner. Your suggestion above brought back good memories of his funeral and it is something I always try to do when the opportunity presents itself.

Half Track and Biak like this.
  3. Biak

Biak Adjutant Patron  

Thanks Gaines, it only takes a few seconds but can last a lifetime.

4. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member Patron   WW2|ORG Editor

"While you're on active duty you will be called on to defend the ungrateful as well as the grateful. We don't sort them out." Fourth of July motivational speech by MMC(SS) H. K. Wiggins, 1969.

Biak and gtblackwell like this.
  5. Biak

Biak Adjutant Patron  

A wise man : MMC(SS) H. K. Wiggins.
    And I'll throw you in there as well. But not too far, I'm getting old and your a big guy.

6. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member Patron   WW2|ORG Editor

I can recommend a trebuchet builder. He throws cars two hundred yards. Don't ask him for a ride home.

7. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

pardon my tardiness.
    busy as bee.

glad to see OP back at it

best wishes to all who joined the military.

OpanaPointer likes this.
  8. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

In Australia today...
    "Defence Veterans’ Covenant"
    https://www.dva.gov.au/about-dva/pu...-no1-autumn-2019/veterans-recognition-package

The biggest problem is the veterans using it! Only a tiny percent use it and the government is in the process to try and get more vets to use the card/s...gives them discounts on heaps of shit.
    But most vets don't think they are special, don't want to be singled out etc etc...bugger that mate! Get in there!