Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Foreign Volunteers

Discussion in 'WWII Books & Publications' started by PzJgr, Feb 6, 2002.

1. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

Are there any books or websites I can reference for volunteers who fought alongside Germany. I know the Wehrmacht only recruited within Germany and that foreign volunteers most likely joined up with the Waffen-SS. It is this area, foreign volunteers within the Waffen-SS that I would like to research further. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. TIA

2. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

An EXCELLENT book to start off with is: "The Last Knight of Flanders" which is on Remy Schrijnen and his service in the Waffen SS SS Sturmbrigade Langemarck. Has much info on Legion Flandern a.k.a. Sturmbrigade Langemarck.

A series you can check into is Ospreys Men-At-Arms series on ww2, there are books on forign Wehrmacht troops including photos showing some arabs in Wehrmacht uniforms and being sloppy soldaten.

3. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

4. Stevin

Stevin Ace

As to the Dutch involvement in the German Armed Forces; Indeed most volunteers ended up in the Waffen SS (around 23,000), most notably in the Wiking , Nordland, and 23rd NEDERLAND divisions, although individual and small groups also saw service with many other other SS divisions.

Having said that, I read the other day that around a 1000 Dutch men joined the Luftwaffe, several as pilot, by far most as ground crew. There was also a number of Dutch in the Kriegsmarine and Wehrmacht; I have read individual accounts of both but have no figures. The Waffen SS was the major focus point for the Germans in their recruitment of foreigners (having this United Europe in mind).

What always bewilders me is the inclusion of Bosnian Muslims into the 'Christian'SS. Does anybody here have a explanation why they were allowed in the SS?

BTW; the ORDONNANS site has been moved to www.soldbuch.com . Good site to start. Just follow the links there and you end up with a wealth of information.

[ 07 February 2002: Message edited by: Stevin Oudshoorn ]</p>

5. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Sem gute sthuff mateys--arrrrgh!!

Oh and Stevin--a teasing I will go :D

6. SMJ

SMJ Member

7. PanzerMan

PanzerMan Member

Hi,

This is my website focusing on asiatic foreign volunteers serving the German army...

http://www.geocities.com/alvinlee_81/index.html

Check out the picture gallery for interesting wartime pictures... =-p Do sign my guestbook as well.

Thanks

* Alvin *

8. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Carl :

Still haven't heard boo from Remy yet. Can you share with us again on how he received his Ritterkreuz ?.....as you have the bio written on him and of course first hand information. He and his dead Kameraden were found by 11th SS Pz. Gren. troops correct ? Area and dates please if possible ?

Danke

Erich

9. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hallo Erich, Remy was cutoff and surrounded by the Russiand for 3 days. He was wounded several times but managed to (conservitavely speaking) knock out 17 T-34's and JS-1s and kill at least 100 Russian Infantry--all by himseld. He did the job of 8 men when operation his Fieldgun by himself, and did the job of numerous riflemen and MG-Schutzes.

I think Paul-Albert Kausch was a member of Nordland and he was the one who personally found and rescued Remy--who was still manning his Fieldgun.

Ill be writing to Remy again very soon--as soon as I finish letters to Sepp Allerberger and a former General. Ill have him send the stuff to you--hopefully he will recieve this letter--some wiseacre has been thieving his mail. :mad:

10. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Thank you my friend. I can only suppose that the armored element of the 11th SS Pz. Grend Division was to the scene first. Paul Kausch leading the Stug Abteilungs at this time.....

Great :D

E

11. talleyrand

talleyrand Member

12. talleyrand

talleyrand Member

And, wouldnt you know the link no longer works :mad:
    I have purchased several of Axis Europa's books and they are wealth of info on little covered subjects. The only problem is every one I have read has been a translation from a European language, its makes reading tough occasionally as the writing lacks the pace and flow of its original script.
    Plus they are spendy little boogers ;)
    They charge upwards of $20-25 for 40-70 page soft cover books. Their print runs are so small, per unit cost is high.

Titles I have that I REALLY enjoyed:
    Forgotten Legions: Obscure Combat Formations of the Waffen SS. This book is hardbound and around 500 pages, and has well over a hundred pics of neato stuff like uniforms of Bosnian Storm troopers etc. Downside it cost over $60. Translated from French, IIRC.
    Eastern Troops in Zeeland. Netherlands 1943-45
    This book has a wealth of info about the troops manning the Atlantik wall. I had no idea that over 100,000 Russians were in the low countries during D-Day in field gray. Translated from Dutch original
    Russian Volunteers in Hitlers Army. This book is only 45 pages and the maps look to be made with Microsoft Paint, and badly at that. But has some great stuff. Translated from Yugoslavian.

[ 24 February 2002: Message edited by: talleyrand ]</p>

13. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hello Tally--try www.helion.com which is in England--they have THE largest selections of militaria books I have ever run accross. If you cant find it there, try Detlev Niemann in Hamburg--he sells obscurt books like officer lists and rangelistes--etc. Then you have Patzwell books also in Europe--they publish stuff you are looking for--but mostly in German. Im in the process of saving up for a brand new publication listing every German Cross in Gold recipient of ww2--all some 27,000+++ of them.

14. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Erich--ooops I forgot to answer you--your quite welkommen.

15. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Carl :

Which DK boo and author ? I have been a little upset with a book on the Luftwaffe DK holders by Veit Scherzer which is still quite good but many of the recepients of 1945 are not listed.....

E

16. Paul Errass

Paul Errass Member

Erich,

Just to fill in a few gaps!Remy won the RK for the fighting on 28th/29th July 1944 during the Narva battles near a place known as Orphanage Hill.

He remained at his post on his own continuing to fire his PAK at the massed Soviet tanks until his gun was destroyed from a range of 20m by a JS 2 which he knocked out at the same time.Remy was thrown away from the gun and lay wounded behind Soviet lines for 3 days until recued during a counter attack by SS Panzer Abt 11 "Hermann von Salza commanded by Paul-Albert Kausch.

Schrijnen was spotted by the crew of Kausch's command Tank and placed on the back of the Panzer and taken to the Feldlazzerett at Toila.

Hope this is of interest

Paul [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

17. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Excellent Paul !

I can only assume then that 11th SS Pz Gren. was contacted somehow by a radio operator that was still alive before the Russian attack and tried to come to their rescue ?

E

18. Paul Errass

Paul Errass Member

Erich,

I think it was just by chance that Remy was seen by P-A Kausch and his crew as the Abt had counter attacked to try and retake Orphanage Hill which dominated the Battlefield,and halt the Soviet advance.

As far as i know Remy had refused or ignored the order to withdraw and had remained with his gun when his comrades had withdrawn and from thereon loading and firing the gun himself!!

His duel with the Tanks had been watched from a distance by his comrades who must have presumed he had been killed.

Paul [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

19. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

ah, ha.......very good. thank you for the additional information. That puts things into perspective much better. Most probably he would of been found sooner or later, and probably later as persumed dead by his kameraden. Good story for sure.....

E

20. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hello Paul--Erich.

Paul--thanks for the additional stuff on Remy--I have my book in storage still :rolleyes: and couldnt give Erich all I could have.

Erich--im not sure who the author is, but I will put the Patzwell link here on this site as soon as I get back from finding it. I think the book sells for about $50.00--but I might be very wrong.

I still need to get Fellgiebles book on all the RKTs. and that is also about $50.00.