Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

forgoten soldier

Discussion in 'ETO, MTO and the Eastern Front' started by Ron, Oct 5, 2000.

1. Ron

Ron Member

I'm reading a VERY good book right now about a young german soldier. The book is The Forgoten Soldier
    It follows his life from when he is in training camp in the begining of the war. All his expierences in the russian theater. From Stalingrad to full retreat...and finally his capture by the british. He is enlisted into the army at age 16! I just started the book though so i don't know much about it yet obviosly.

2. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

I read the book too, and I didnt think it was too bad, even though some historical mistakes were maed in it, like places and dates. It felt almost as a good work of fiction though.

3. Marcus Wendel

Marcus Wendel Member

4. J.Mahoney

J.Mahoney Member

The Forgotten Soldier book was pretty cool. I have always wanted to read something about a German soldiers service in his army.

5. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

It opens a window up and lets us look indide and see how the German Army trained its recruits. Trouble is that many things said in the book seemed too good to be true. Based on my dealings with many German vets though, seem to suggest that what is said in that book, was vere common; not as uncommon as we think.

6. Ron

Ron Member

i didn't think his experience in the german army was all that great...didn't seem like they gave his all that much respect...even in the beginning of the book.

7. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

I agree with you. I didn't think Guy Sajers experiance was all that great either but he gives us a perspective that we didn't have before.

8. Sgt. Schultz

Sgt. Schultz Member

I tried to find that book here but no luck. Is it still in print?

9. M60A1

M60A1 Member

My local B. Dalton has a copy and I know you can get it through Amazon. They usually don't have many copies on the bookstore shelves, unless you're at the FT Leavenworth bookstore or the FT Knox/FT Benning/Camp Pendleton bookstore, etc. You might have to special order. I first read this book in high school years (early 70's). I think you will find it enlightening.

10. Ron

Ron Member

i bought my copy at my local Borders book store...
    I guess if you have a "Barnes and Noble" or "Borders" near you then it would be best to inquire there! [​IMG]
    It is still in print for i just recently bought mine this year!

11. J.Mahoney

J.Mahoney Member

I checked posts on another forum that were archived and were about that book. It seems that most peolle think the book is a work of fiction. I think it had some incredable things written in the book but i recently read another book called The Last Knight of Flanders about an ss man named remi schrinen or something like that. So I can believe most of the things written in forgotten soldier, could be true.