Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Forum Upgrade and Site Update - vBulletin 4.0.8

Discussion in 'WWII Forums News' started by Otto, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I covered this briefly in the The New Look and Feel thread, but I wanted to outline specifically the changes going on here at WW2F.

New Forum Engine - We are now operating on the most current (and most secure), version 4.0.8 Patch Level 2 of the vBulletin software platform upon which his forum runs. This is a dramatic step up from the previous 3.x generation of the forum in terms of both available features and overall security. The upgrade was a necessary step to eliminate the problematic virus concerns and also greatly enhance the capabilities of the Rogues.

Emperors New Clothes - Or should I say lack of clothes? Due to the complete overhaul, the site lost our WWII theme. What you see today is a stock version of the forum in both look and features. In time the OKF will work to implement all the old features we have come to know and love, as well as install another even better WWII theme. I appreciate the patience of you usually surly Rogues during this process. I hate that we don't even have our logo up, but we will have an even better looking site with even more features than before.

WWII Network Resurgent - Years ago, ww2f.com was a support structure for a series of interesting WW2 websites. Over the years more than a few things popped up in the life of your Admin that made the maintenance of the other pieces impossible. Things have finally come to pass that I am now able to rebuild these sites the way they were originally intended. As we slowly pull our Six-Million-Dollar-Man impression on WW2F (We Can Rebuild Him!), I will also re-create these other sites where it makes sense. Make no mistake, the priority is to update ww2f.com & ww2talk.com first, but there are already some sites in the pipeline that will bring some truly great aspects to our WW2 community.

Command & Control - I have also made drastic changes to what is assuredly the least visible but most important aspect of any online community. I'm talking about allocating appropriate server resources to each website while also implementing an effective and efficient backup, upgrade & patching process. Seeing as this website is one of the top two WW2 communities on the entire internet (the other being ww2talk), this is a long overdue step.

WW2F vs WW2Talk - I think it is important to mention that while I do manage both of the these websites, there are important difference between the two that are worth preserving and promoting. Other than standing up the server and maintaining the domain, WW2Talk.com is completely directed by her own very capable membership. I am an admin there for technical upkeep only, and no one person serves as a moderator or administrator at both sites. I do have some say here at WW2F, but even here I'd say Slipdigit is the true day-to-day admin. In any case, whatever changes we will see in the near future, I want to publicly state that I will continue my hands-off policy with respect to WW2Talk. They don't need a meddling North American polluting their culture. ;)

Over the next few months we will be moving forward with a some of these afformentioned progressive steps. As a WW2 enthusiast, I am very excited about what is in the pipeline. I'll share more details as I am able. :otto:

Mussolini and Martin Bull like this.
  2. Otto

A note on getting our new skin. The current forum version (4.08) is apparently still very buggy and does not want to accept new layouts without a fight. The overwhelming majority of coders are waiting until the first truly stable release to begin designs. This is purported to be version 4.1, and there is no specific timeframe for it's development. The developers say it might be early next year, but I'd say that's a very optimistic assessment.

Until vBulletin releases a truly stable platform, me are stuck with the stock layout...

3. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

If there's one think we know how to do, it's "hurry up and wait". Kudos for tackling this job and please carry on doing it "right", not "right now."

4. texson66

texson66 Ace

What OP said, Otto!:D

5. ULITHI

ULITHI Ace

Thanks again Otto for all your hard work!

At the risk of sounding like a Thanksgiving school program, I am very thankful to Otto, Jeff, Clint, Lou, and all the other mods and trustees for their service here.

6. Mussolini

Mussolini Gaming Guru WW2|ORG Editor

Very informative post, keep up the good work GroFaz.

7. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

Ditto

8. Ken The Kanuck

Ken The Kanuck Member

Thank you for providing so much enjoyment.

KTK

9. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

My sentiments exactly, this place just gets better and better.

10. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

Thanks Otto, all of the above! Thumbs up, oh wait there's The Salute Button!

11. Gebirgsjaeger

Gebirgsjaeger Ace

Thanks Otto for your very good work to give us a good new home!

12. Otto

Thanks all for the support, I am currently working on finalizing the upgrades and getting a new skin. We won't be naked too much longer. :eek:

13. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Thanks Otto. The fig leaves are getting a bit worn, and the embarrassment potential is enormous.

14. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Nice work Otto. Also, I was wondering if those two soldiers (the two pieces of artwork)-one German one American, were going to be placed back here as will? Reason im asking is that I wnjoy the effort put into making those two pieces of art-or whatever its called? ;-)

15. Otto

I'm working on a new skin for the forum, and I'll certainly add little features like those two soldiers, but I can't specifically promise they will be back. In fact the old skin was full of glitches and often loaded up in an odd way, so we won't see those two gentlemen back in the immediate future. To use a automotive metaphor; my priority now is to ensure the engine and suspension system works perfectly. While things like the paint job and tinted windows are on my to-do list, there is a long list of technical tasks that take precedence.

Gebirgsjaeger likes this.
  16. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Ooooh! Tinted windows. Can't wait.

17. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi Otto, sorry I had not seen this earlier but, many thanks and looking forward to anything new added or some old stuff brought back.

18. texson66

texson66 Ace

How about a little bounce for the ounce?

[video=youtube;xmf5gLPMtTc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmf5gLPMtTc[/video]

19. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Good grief!

20. mas1975

mas1975 recruit

This site would not let me post a new thread....I don't know why. But I need help on understanding block 5 of my Grandfathers World War 2 DD214. Under BLOCK 5 it reads: SST. What the heck does SST stand for? He was an infantryman in the Italian campaign. I've looked on line everywhere and I can't find what this acronym stands for. Please help. Mark.