Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

found in a bunker

Discussion in 'Battlefield Relics' started by tellermine, Nov 20, 2014.

1. tellermine

tellermine New Member

Hello,

I have found this object in a bunker that fell from a cliff due to erosion of the shoreline. The piece was rusted the floor (which is now the ceiling) of the bunker, next to two german gasmask filters. I suspect it being a piece from a shell of some kind, but I am not sure.. There's a number 6 (or 9) inscripted in the piece. I've tried to measure it as precisely as possible, but the piece is a bit deformed so the measurements are probably not 100% precise. I am hoping someone can help me identify this piece.

Thanks and regards,

Mark

2. tellermine

tellermine New Member

Attached Files:

3. dude_really

dude_really Doesn't Play Well With Others

4. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

I think it may be the pointy end of a 2 inch shell. Possibly a nose fuse from a mortar ? I'm betting someone here will be able to identify it.

[​IMG]

5. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

Almost certainly a time-fuze from the nose of a shell. The lower thread is where it screws into the shell casing, the inner ( upper ) thread is where the adjustable ( pointy ) end of the fuze fits.

Now, as to which shell.................................? :hypnotize:

6. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

That would be hard t tell, the only identification being a "6" .

7. tellermine

tellermine New Member

Nice, thanks for the help everyone! Next to it was a cap, maybe that could be the protective cap of the shell? I will take a picture of it tomorrow, maybe that cap can tell us something about the caliber of the shell. (If it indeed is a cap of it).

8. tellermine

tellermine New Member

Oh and by the way, does anyone know if this object is still dangerous? Maybe a strange question because it looks exploded, but I want to be 1000% sure before I keep this.

Edit: maybe it's this fuze? http://books.google.nl/books?id=yYS-BAAAQBAJ&pg=PA9&lpg=PA9&dq=az+23+umg&source=bl&ots=44U1ZWvN8A&sig=GU29JekTG0zM6tB3sLoxpK66LC0&hl=nl&sa=X&ei=w19uVKnOIqqGywP98oKgCA&ved=0CCEQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=az%2023%20umg&f=false

The lower thread has a diameter of 1,96 inch on some of the fuzes there, which is 4,9 cm (same as mine). If it is the fuze in this book, it would make it a fuze for the 88 flak 18/36/41 or Pak 43 canon.

9. CNOCK

CNOCK Member

Hi,

Bunker is a R671 that fumbled down fom cliff at La Créche, Boulogne

Cnock