Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Found my Grandfather’s WWII Duffel Bag

Discussion in 'Uniforms, Personal Gear (Kit) and Accessories' started by ChrisH526, Jun 6, 2019.

1. ChrisH526

ChrisH526 New Member

I recently found my grandfather’s duffel bag from World War II and it had some numbers and letters on it but I don’t know what they stand for. If anyone could help me out that would be great!

Link to photo: (Grandfather’s Duffel Bag)

2. RichTO90

RichTO90 Well-Known Member

The first line denotes what it is "Bag, Duffel" (note the correct spelling, duffel, rather than duffle, which you frequently see). The second line is the color...rather pedantic I know, but that's the Army. The third line is probably its Quartermaster stock number, although in October 1943 it was 74-B-54-55? It is likely another stock identification number assigned to it by the QM Corps. The fourth line is the contract information, indicating who manufactured it and under which contract.

3. R Leonard

R Leonard Member

Those old duffel bags are cool to have.

I have one that the Marine detachment aboard USS Hornet (CV-8) gave my father to stow what little he had after the Battle of Midway. All he had his flight suit and equipment, the khakis he was wearing under the flight suit, his flight jacket and an overseas cap. The Marines also give him another set of khakis, a sweater, and a pair of brown shoes. He picked up some skivvies & toiletries from ship’s store. That was the sum of his possessions when after a coast to coast train ride he, and the rest of the VF-42 pilots, showed up in Norfolk VA on 4 July 1942 after their all-expense paid tour of the Pacific. Most of that stuff was gone or stowed elsewhere by the end of the war, but I do have the duffel bag. No deciphering necessary for this one, just a great, heavy, tan canvas edifice, with his name & rank and “Fighting Squadron 42” neatly lettered in permanent black ink on one side.

RichTO90 likes this.