Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Free French submarine Rubis

Discussion in 'Submarines and ASW Technology' started by JCFalkenbergIII, Dec 22, 2008.

Tags:
  1. LindaL

LindaL Member

Hi Skipper

Many thanks. Looking forward to seeing the picture, and good luck with your collection.

Linda

2. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

as promised here is my wine bottle of the (second) Rubis. It's a Christmas present from a friend.

[​IMG]

3. LindaL

LindaL Member

That's brilliant, Skipper. Many thanks for posting the photo. As you say, it must be for the 'new' Rubis rather than the WWII one. I'll show it to my Dad, who'll be pleased to see it. It's nice to see that the new Rubis's crest still displays the Cross of Lorraine as a tribute to the 'old' one! All best wishes. Linda

4. jonmarsh

jonmarsh recruit

Hi Linda. I was very happy to find this forum and read about your father. My father, Frank Marsh, was the British Liaison Officer on Rubis from 1943 to 1945. I am hoping you dad is still alive as it is two years since your last post. Please ask him if he remembers my dad. Our family emigrated to Australia in 1962 and my dad died in 1987. He often told us stories about his time on Rubis. Do you have any details of the Rubis Veterans Association? I believe a memorial has been erected at Dundee Harbour to commemorate the Rubis.
    Cheers....Jon Marsh

urqh likes this.
  5. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Hi John , I hope Linda will read this. Yes, there is a Rubis Memorial at Dundee and if I remember correctly Linda attended the commemoration ceremony there in 2009.

Suzanne Etcheverry likes this.
  6. leccy1

leccy1 Member

7. LindaL

LindaL Member

Hello Jon

Thank you very much for your kind message - what a lovely surprise! I apologise for the delay in my reply, but I've only just read your message today!

I'm afraid my Dad has now passed away - in October 2010 - and so I wasn't able to ask him about your Dad. I do remember him talking about the British Liaison Officers on the Rubis, who he said were all great guys who really integrated well with the French crew.

Skipper is right in saying that there is indeed a memorial to the allied submariners based in Dundee who lost their lives in action during WWII. He's also right in saying that I went along with my Dad to the inauguration of the memorial in September 2009 - it was a super day. There were several veterans there of the various allied nationalities who were all very proud and greatly enjoyed the day. If you look at the 'Dundee Courier's' (Dundee's local newspaper) website you may still find an article they reported on it at the time.

I'm sorry to hear that your Dad has also now passed away - it's very sad that this generation of heroes is now coming to an end. They were such brave men who sacrificed so much, and we're justly very, very proud of them.

So many thanks again, Jon, for contacting me.

All best wishes to you and your family.

Linda

8. LindaL

LindaL Member

Sorry Jon - I forgot to reply to your question about the Rubis Veterans' Association. I'm afraid there isn't one now, as I believe that my Dad was the second last survivor of the Rubis's crew to have spent all of WWII on the Rubis. As far as I know, there is only one other crew member still alive. However, my Dad used to meet up regularly with the handful of Rubis crew members who married Dundee girls and stayed in Scotland after the war. They were all members of the North East Scotland Branch of the Submariners' Association but, sadly, my Dad was the last one. Cheers again, Jon.

Best regards.

Linda

9. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Hi Linda,

Nice to hear from you again. I was sad to hear your dad pased away in 2010. I'm so glad I had the chance to correspond with him via you . I will always keep his signed photograph which is proudly displayed in my collection and I will make sure the Rubis crew won't be forgotten. :poppy:

10. LindaL

LindaL Member

Hi Skipper

Thank you for your kind message. My Dad was glad to have corresponded with you too. He used to say it was great that there were still some young people interested in what his generation did during the war, and he was very glad to have signed his photo for your collection. It's good to know that you'll try to make sure the Rubis crew isn't forgotten - it's very kind of you.

All best wishes.

Linda

11. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

You'll be welcome to see the picture displayed if you ever come naer my home.

12. LindaL

LindaL Member

Many thanks, Skipper - that's very kind of you. Maybe some day!

Suzanne Etcheverry likes this.