Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

FUBAR: Soldier Slang of World War II by Gordon L. Rottman (Osprey Publishing October 2009, 300 pages

Discussion in 'Biographies and Everything Else' started by dgmitchell, Nov 14, 2009.

1. dgmitchell

dgmitchell Ace

Just in time for Christmas, Osprey has published Gordon L. Rottman's FUBAR: Soldier Slang of World War II, the perfect stocking stuffer for the WWII buff in your life. Admittedly, if you are reading this, you probably are the WWII buff in your life but at least now you can tell your family what to put in your stocking!

FUBAR is a compilation of thousands of slang terms and their definitions from WWII. It is a wonderful companion for both new students of the war and experienced historians. Some phrases will be familiar to modern readers. Most of us already know that a "jarhead" is a slang term for a member of the United States Marine Corps. and that "scuttlebutt" is a reference to rumors. You probably did not know, however, that a scuttlebutt was also a water fountain on a ship. Accordingly, "scuttlebutt" seems to embrace the same concept as water cooler conversations.

Rottman's compilation of slang terms is seemingly exhaustive but he did miss an opportunity to offer more than definitions in his dictionary. It would have been very helpful if he had offered the origins of slang terms as well. We can only hope that he will do so in a revised edition.

FUBAR is a lot of fun to read and I have kept it close by my reading chair since I received it. Rarely do I read a book that does not include slang terms that previously I had understood only by intuiting the meaning. Now I have a definitive resource to guide me through the soldier slang of the Second World War.

2. luketdrifter

luketdrifter Ace

This is a great book. It's a must own....especially if you want to throw stuff out at co-workers now and leave them baffled.

dgmitchell likes this.
  3. Gund1

Gund1 Member

how was it price wise?

4. dgmitchell

dgmitchell Ace

5. Renny Reynolds

Renny Reynolds Member

going out for this one tomorrow. Great suggestion and I can't wait to read it.

6. texson66

texson66 Ace

Hmmm, I wonder if Amazon has it available for Kindle? (My wife's Christmas present to me)

7. texson66

texson66 Ace

There's a FUBAR by Kurt Vonnegut; a collection of short stories.....still looking...

8. texson66

texson66 Ace

Nope, no ebook! Dang!

9. luketdrifter

luketdrifter Ace

DAMN that Kindle.

10. texson66

texson66 Ace

Exactly!

11. Jon Jordan

Jon Jordan Member

It's a fun read - especially the variations of "FUBAR": FUMTA (F'd Up More Than Usual), etc.

Most is purely military. There's another one (I'll see if I can find it) of civilian slang from the 30's and 40's that naturally would have been carried into uniform with the draftees.