Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Game 12

Discussion in 'Forum Gaming' started by Roel, Feb 20, 2006.

1. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Team USA (Ricky and Roel)

M4R1 "Sheridan" Armoured Personnel Carrier

The Head of the American Design team nearly swallowed his chewing gum when he read the design brief, as he saw this as a perfect opportunity to make use of his favourite design – the successful Medium Tank M4.
    The basic armour of the M4’s hull was adequate to meet all the defensive criteria given by His Worshipful Eminence, Chzaba III, and the basic chassis design has so far proved very adaptable.

The design team thought hard about how best to utilise the interior space of the Sherman, and after a number of abortive attempts (including one unfortunate design where the driver had to lie prone on a shelf above the engine) the following layout was decided upon:
    The driver’s compartment was kept ‘as is’, but the engine was then placed immediately behind the driver, leaving the rear of the vehicle free for carrying troops. The rear hull roof was raised to allow a comforatable amount of headroom, and large double-doors were installed at the rear of the tank for the troops to enter / exit.
    The hull machine gun position was removed, and replaced with a turret mounted Browning .5in machine gun, which has proven itself as an excellent HMG, and doubtless will continue to do so.

The standard APC varient can be easily transformed into Command Vehicle or Ambulance varients, and the basic design can support a wide range of weaponry, mounted over the rear of the vehicle in place of the troopers.

Suggested weaponry for these varients are:

Light AT gun: 37mm M3 Anti-Tank gun

Medium AT gun: 57mm M1 Anti-Tank gun

AA guns: Essentially any light or medium guns can be carried – we recommend 4x.5 Browning machineguns, 2x20mm Oerlikon Cannon or 4x20mm Oerlikon cannon for Light AA coverage, and single or twin 40mm Bofors cannon for Medium AA coverage.

Light artillery: 105mm M1A2 Howitzer

[​IMG]

Buying this vehicle gains you a capable family of vehicles with a high degree of commonality with the standard American M4 series Medium Tank (and all its current varients), a tank already making a name for itself in terms of its reliability, ease of maintenance, and the sheer adaptability of the basic design.

GENERAL DATA
    Other Designation(s): M4R1
    Type: Armoured Personnel Carrier
    Crew: 3
    Length /hull (m): 5.89
    Width (m): 2.62
    Height (m): 2.20
    Combat Weight (kg): 29,500
    Radio Equipment: SCR508/528/538

FIREPOWER
    Primary Armament: 1 x .50 caliber MG HB M2
    Ammunition Carried: 6,000
    Traverse (degrees): 360°
    Elevation (degrees): -10° to +35°
    Traverse speed (360°): 15 sec.

MOBILITY CHARACTERISTICS
    Engine Make & Model: Continental R975 C1
    Track Links: 79/track
    Type & Displacement: R9, 15.9 liters
    Track Width: 42.1 cm
    Horsepower (max.): 400hp@2400rpm
    Track Ground Contact: 373.4 cm
    Power/Weight Ratio: 13.8 hp/tonne
    Ground Pressure: 13.3 psi
    Gearbox: 5 forward, 1 reverse
    Ground Clearance (m): 0.43
    Fuel: Gasoline (Petrol)
    Turning Radius (m): 18.9
    Range on/off road (km): 200
    Gradient (degrees): 31°
    Mileage (liters/100km): 415 on road
    Vertical Obstacle (m): 0.61
    Fuel Capacity (liters): 796
    Fording (m): 1.0
    Speed on/off road: 36 km/h
    Trench Crossing (m): 2.3

ARMOR PROTECTION
    Armor Detail
    Hull: Front 60mm@34-90°; Side 40mm@90°; Rear 38mm@80°-90°; Top/Bottom 25mm@0°(front) 13mm@0°(rear)
    Superstructure: Front 60mm@34-90°; Side 51mm@90°; Top 25mm@0°
    Turret: Front 60mm@60-90°; Side 51mm@85°; Rear 51mm@90°; Top 25mm@0°

2. Man

Man New Member

via TanksinWW2
    PMTC-34

The Soviet design team received the Qirnali request for a troop carrier with interest. Right off the bat, we had a good vehicle to use as a base, namely the T-34 model 1942. It is reliable, mobile, adequately protected, has relative mechanical simplicity, and is pretty low cost.

It can serve the function of armored personnel carrier and weapons platform. When serving as the latter, the compartment is removed in favor for a rear deck that can carry a number of different weapon configurations.

The crew consists of a driver (who remains in the original position) and a radio operator / bow MG gunner. When in APC guise, it has a compartment mounted over the engine that will have up to 10 soldiers. The APC version also has a turret with a 20 mm cannon. In weapons-carrier guise, it has a large platform to the rear where weapons of choice may be put. The WC version retains the bow MG but does not have a top mounted turret.

The vehicle is versatile and meets or exceeds all requirements.

Statistics:

Crew: 2
    Length 6.75 m
    Width 3.00 m
    Height 2,7 meters (APC) 2.3 m + weapon system (WC)
    Weight 26 tons (APC) 22 tons + weapon system (WC)

Armor: 45-70 mm
    Armament: DT MG + 20 mm cannon (APC) + variable armament (WC)
    Powerplant: V-12 diesel, 500 bhp
    Road speed: 60 km +

APC version:
    [​IMG]

WC version:
    [​IMG]

3. Christian Ankerstjerne

Christian Ankerstjerne Member

via TanksinWW2
    Because Emperor and Dictator for Life Chzaba III is away at the moment, as he is inspecting our sea kelp farms, the representative of the United Kingdom still have two more days to present his proposal.

His representative, the venerable Vice Dictator and Field Marshal of the Palace Guard Division, count Bob, has however informed me that the two proposals are most impressive, but that if no proposal is presented from the United Kingdom, the United Kingdoms ambassador will learn why our Zoo does not have a food budget.

4. Man

Man New Member

via TanksinWW2
    There has been a fault in my submission. The armor should be 45-70 mm, not 70 mm, as that would make the weight unrealistic. May I change it?

5. Oli

Oli New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Sorry guys, no entry from me - both of my parents were taken to hospital last week and my dad is still in there. I've had a bit too much on my plate this last couple of weeks.

6. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I'm really sorry to hear that, Oli. I hope your parents will be all right?

So, Christian, I think the choice is between Panzerman and Ricky & me.

7. Christian Ankerstjerne

via TanksinWW2
    Panzerman
    We shall take that into account.

Oli
    Sorry to hear that.

Roel
    I'll annouce the winner later today.

8. Ricky

Ricky New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Does this mean that the lions will go hungry again?

Oli - hope everything is ok...

9. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I'll be out of the country later today... :wink:

Not to worry, Ricky will tell me on Saturday. :D

10. Christian Ankerstjerne

via TanksinWW2
    Having returned from his journey, Emperor and Dictator for Life Chzaba III has trusted me with the task of annoucing the winner of the contract for Qirnal's future armoured personel carrier.

Both the US and Soviet designs warrent credit for fulfilling the design specifications. The fully-tracked designs based on existing medium tanks is an excellent solution.

In deciding which country should receive the contract, thetwo main points considered were usability as an armour personel carrier and the versatility of the auxillary armament available.

The Soviet design was considered superior in terms of mobility and slightly superior in terms of armour protection. The US design still met the demands, and therefore these two points were not considered an important factor.

The US armour personel carrier design was considered superior to the Soviet one for two reasons; the relocated engines provides for very easy access and exit, and it is 50 cm. lower making the infantry less vulnerable to enemy fire. The idea to place the crew compartment on top of the engine wasn't considered favourable, since the temperature of the compartment is believed to increase rapidly over even minor distances. The weaponry was considered superior for the PMTC-34, however there has been concerns that the rate of fire of this gun is significantly lower than that of the .50 cal. Browning Machinge Gun.

For auxillary purposes, the US design was also considered superior (even though the two designs are quite close), as the presentation suggests more versatile solutions. Especially the 57 mm. gun turret received much applause with the evaluation team, though Emperor and Dictator for Life Chzaba III would also like to suggest the installment of larger caliber weapons, possibly in a fixed superstructure. The evaluation team has also suggested that the gun mounts for the anti-aircraft guns be made slightly taller, to allow the vehicles to function as heavy machine gun support vehicles against infantry and light vehicles during attacks.

The final decision therefore fell on the M4R1 "Sheridan". We would therefore like to place an order for 100,000 units, to have sufficient vehicles for both training purposes and to fully equip our army. The amount of spare parts will be discussed later. The downpayment, 1,500,000 cans of goat milk, will be send as soon as possible.

The Democratic Republic of Qirnal thanks you for your interest, and to celebrate, would like to invite the Soviet and US ambassadors and design teams to the initiation ceremony of our new bear cave at the Zoo Garden, where we will 'meet' the UK ambassador. Emperor and Dictator for Life Chzaba III are sure you will be quite surprised at the show we have in stall for you, and promises an experience you will never forget.

11. Ricky

Ricky New Member

via TanksinWW2
    The United Staes design team thank His Worshipful Eminance Chzaba III for his kindness in selecting their design.

And they are really looking forward to seeing how fast a Limey can run... :grin:

(Game 13 will be up early next week)

12. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    The quad-50 model has been specifically designed to allow the machine guns to provide support against ground targets to both flanks and the rear of the vehicle, leaving the standard .50-cal armed turret to deal with the front. This gives the vehicle a maximum capacity for infantry support while the vulnerability of the quad-50 gunner is kept at an acceptable level. Traverse of the quad-50 turret should be considered as 240 degrees at 0 degrees elevation, 360 degrees at anything over 15 degrees elevation.