Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Game 9

Discussion in 'Forum Gaming' started by Man, Dec 12, 2005.

1. Man

Man New Member

via TanksinWW2
    The T-35PM ”Hydra”

The Soviet Union looked at the specifications of the new RGFS vehicle with interest. It seemed that we had a vehicle that fit the bill right off the bat – the T-35, the heavy, multi-turreted breakthrough tank. Instead of selling it directly to the RGFS, we turned to the infamous rogue designer who went by the name of “Человек Брони”.

Here are the changes made:

- Main armament (short 76.2 mm) replaced with F-22 long barrel artillery piece.
    - Front 45 mm replaced with the short 76.2 mm cannon.
    - Removed front machine guns, turret sized up to fit the 45 mm cannon.
    - Rear 45 mm cannon replaced with triple RP 46 MGs.
    - Frontal MG installed
    - Both enlarged frontal turrets moved forward to allow them to turn about freely
    - Driver and co-driver positions moved forward, front chassis lengthened to allow
    - Engine compressor added
    - Armor increased
    - Camouflage hooks added
    - Commanders loudspeaker system added
    - Field binoculars added
    - Radio added
    - RP 46 MG mounted in main turret
    - Hull RP 46 MG mounted
    - Side ladders removed, replaced with rear ladder
    - Rear, top turret MG added

The main tooth of this monster is the long F-22 cannon. Its AP and HE capabilities should be sufficient for years to come.

Its armor, which ranged from 11-30 mm, was deemed to little. It was upgraded to 60 mm in frontal areas, and with a minimum value of 30 mm. This brought a substantial weight increase. Subsequent to this, it was decided to upgrade the engine with compressors, which brought it up to 580 horsepower.

Crew:

- Driver (front)
    - Co-driver and radio operator (front)
    - Commander/MG gunner (top turret)
    - Gunner (top turret)
    - Loader (top turret)
    - Gunner (lower 76.2 mm)
    - Loader (lower 76.2 mm)
    - Gunner/loader (45 mm)
    - Gunner (rear MG turret)

Extras:

“Человек Брони” sees the importance of crew comfort, and has thus gone to great lengths to provide ventilation for every crewmember, to prevent overheating. Every turret has a small cone with a hand-driven fan. It can be closed for combat, and solves lack-of-oxygen and overheating problems when on the march. Comfy, well cushioned seats are also added.

Also, it was decided that small hooks to attach camouflage nets would be placed at regular intervals around the tank. The commander now has a pair of mounted field binoculars and a loudspeaker system to give orders through.

To communicate with the other beasts, a radio was added for the co-driver.

The side ladders were removed, seen as a danger – enemy infantry can mount the tank! Rear latter added instead, making access more difficult for enemy infantry and adequate for the crew.

Specifications

Dimensions
    Length: 972 centimeters
    Height: 343 centimeters
    Width: 320 centimeters
    Weight: 55 tons

Armament
    Main: 76.2 mm artillery piece
    Secondary: 76.2 mm short cannon, 45 mm cannon, 6x RP 46 machine guns.

Armor:
    Between 30 (rear) and 60 (front) mm, or 10 mm (top deck, underside)

Mobility
    Engine: 12 cylinder M-17M w/ compressor 580 horsepower
    Speed on road: 28 km/h on road
    Speed off road: 18 km/h off road
    Power to weight ratio: 10.5 hp per ton

Parting words

The Hydra fits all criteria, and then some. Its main gun can engage and destroy enemy AFV’s with impunity. Firing with the smaller guns, it can shower the enemy with a demoralizing and destructive rain of HE, good for anti infantry work as well. Rear mounted RP 46s prevent infantry from scaling the tank, main turret and hull mounted RP 46s provides suppressive, forward facing anti infantry fire.

[​IMG]

2. Man

Man New Member

via TanksinWW2
    This was definitely one of the more interesting games. Props to you, Oli.

:grin:

3. Christian Ankerstjerne

Christian Ankerstjerne Member

via TanksinWW2
    "Ragnarok"
    Schwere Panzerkampfwagen V (8,8 cm) (Sd.Kfz.171)

The main difficulty for this design was the requirement for at least two weapons, capable of fireing at seperate targets simultaneously. In order to allow the widest possible arch of fire for each gun, it was decided to use two turrets. The gun chosen as the main armament was a shortened version of our 8,8 cm Flak 18, which shall hence forth be known as the 8,8 cm Kw.K.36 L/20. The decision for this gun was based on the following considerations:
    • The gun has good high-explosive capabilities, and can use the currently available ammunition for the 8,8 cm Flak 18.
    • Despite being a low-velocity gun, the estimated armour penetration capabilities of the gun are still superior to all known enemy anti-tank guns.
    • The gun can be changed to the regular 8,8 cm Flak 18, if later upgrades of enemy armour renders the 8,8 cm Kw.K. 36 L/20 obsolete, without any modifications.
    • The short gun enables the two main turets to be place relatively close to each other, without a risk of the guns hitting each other.
    • Because of their relatively compact size, the total ammunition storage for each vehicle is 80 grenades (40 for each turret).

The two main turrets have also been armed with one of the well-known 2 cm Kw.K.30 next to the main gun. The 2 cm Kw.K.30 has proven itself capable of destroying trucks and lightly armoured vehicles, and is found to be very demoralising to infantry. The installation helps save the primary ammunition.

The turret ring diameter has to be 2,200 mm. (25 * 88 mm.), which gives each turret a total turning diameter of 5,000 mm. including the guns. This results in a vehicle length of 8.6 m. (not including the guns). The width is 2.6 m., and the height is 2.1 m. (including the turrets).

Aside from the main guns, the tank is armed with six turrets, three on each side, each mounting a 2 cm Kw.K.30 and a MG 34. In addition, the drivers seats (there are two, so that the tank can be driven backwards almost as well as forwards, just like our Panzerspähwagenen) have an MG 34 (the driver who is not driving functions as the radio operator). Total ammunition storage for these weapons is 8,000 2 cm rounds and 16,000 7.92 mm. rounds.

Because of its large size, and a general armour protection of 25 mm. on the sides and 50 mm. on the front and rear (all face-hardened), the weight has grown to approx. 50 tons. This armour is enough to protect the tank from the requested weaponry. Because none of our engines are capable of propelling this weight alone, we have installed six Maybach HL 62 TRM engines from our Pz.Kpfw.II, which gives the vehicle a total of 840 horse powers. The multiple engines also means, that engine failure to one engine will not render the tank useless.
    The range of the vehicle is approximately 200 km. on road, and 80 km. off-road, due to the 500 l. of fuel stored. The speed is 30 km/h. on road and 15 km./h. cross-country.

Because the engines are stored in the center of the vehicle, it is troublesome to communicate with hand signals, so an electronic communication system has been installed.

Any additional questions will gladly be answered.

[​IMG]

4. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Team Britain (Ricky and Roel)

Medium Tank Mk. IV "Leviathan"

Older members of the British Design team were delighted with the requirements from the Republic of Gemarian Free States, seeing it as vindication of the multi-turreted designs they had lovingly crafted, only to be rejected by the British Army.

Plans for the Medium MkIII tank – a development of the A6 Independent series made in 1933 – were taken out and looked at. The immediate problem was the requirement for 2 HE firing guns of at least 75mm calibre. This would require two turrets capable of holding the tried and tested 18pdr gun. To allow this, the hull of the MkIII was widened, and two cylindrical turrets were placed at a stagger – one forward and to the right, one back and to the left. The turrets were designed to hold an 18pdr gun adapted for tank use, and a coaxial machine gun.

Next the designers looked at the anti-tank requirements. Initial plans were drawn up for mounting 2pdr guns in the forward turrets, but although this proved practical in terms of the size of the turret, it put too much weight on the nose of the tank, and also took up much of the room required by the driver. This caused a problem, which was solved by the simplest means – Armour-piercing ammunition was issued for the 18pdr guns, and it proved capable of meeting (and exceeding) the Gemarian requirements.

The deisgn team then realised that all armament requirements were actually met, and debated whether or not to remove the front machine gun turrets. It was decided to remove the turret on the right-hand side of the tank, thus allowing a roomy compartment for the driver, and to install a twin machine gun mounting in the left-hand turret, to give the tank anti-infantry capability when the main turrets were otherwise engaged.

Armour was increased to 50mm on the front and ion the turrets, and 30mm on the sides and rear.

After much nagging by one of our younger, more impressionable designers, the track width was also increased, to keep the ground pressure similar to the MkIII. Thankfully we managed to talk him out of presenting the Gemarian delegation with a booklet written by some army wallah named Fuller, which he claimed made our design redundant.

The widened hull enabled the installation of a more powerful V12 engine in place of the 180hp Armstrong Siddeley V8, giving a speed equal to the origional A6 series, as well as increased fuel capacity which allowed a road range of 85 miles.

The design was named Leviathan, after the mighty creature of the deep.

[​IMG]

Specifications of the Medium MkIV Leviathan

Crew Eight.
    Weight 40 tons.
    Length 25ft.02 in.
    Width 10 ft. 5 in.
    Height 8ft. 11 in.
    Track plate width 20 in.
    Armament
    Main: Two 18pdr gun (84 mm).
    Secondary: Four Vickers machine-guns, one in each main turret, and two in the subsidiary turret.
    Ammunition
    Main: 80 rounds – HE and AP.
    Secondary: 7,000 rounds.
    Armour 30mm – 50mm (10mm top and bottom)
    Engine Armstrong-Siddeley 370 b.h.p./1.500 r.p.m
    V.12 air-cooled. An inertia starter was fitted to supplement the inadequate electric motor.
    Fuel 250 gallons.
    Range 85 miles (road)
    Transmission SLM or lorry pattern gearbox.
    Suspension
    Four double bogies (four wheels 15 in. diameter) each side plus one single bogie (two wheels 24 in. diameter) fore and aft. Coil sprìngs in trunked guide.
    Speed 20 mph (road) 12mph (cross country)

5. Christian Ankerstjerne

via TanksinWW2
    Inches, feet, miles, pounds and gallons - the German proposal will render these measurements obsolete! ;)

Christian

6. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    That's what you get when you let a Brit do the writing for you - I don't understand any of it myself! :grin:

7. Christian Ankerstjerne

via TanksinWW2
    Join the metric side, and together we shall rule measurements like a couple of nerds!

8. Ricky

Ricky New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Well, it is a British tank. I did all the German designs in manky metric measurements! :wink:

Oli - when do we get the judgement? After today I will have no regular/guarenteed Internet access until 3rd January. :(

9. Man

Man New Member

via TanksinWW2
    It is way over deadline, no word from either PanzerMeister or CSP...

Come on boys, before it's too late!

10. Oli

Oli New Member

via TanksinWW2
    CSP did say he'd forgotten, Panzermeister...?
    Okay, I will present judgement later today.
    Re the "discussion" on units of measurement, there's an old Brit unit that applies here: the firkin, these tanks (as intended) are firkin ugly :grin:

11. Oli

Oli New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Okay, decision time:

Panzerman's Hydra -
    a "typcal" Russian, workmanlike solution, put a bigger gun on it, and more of them. Should really do the trick.

Christians' S.Pzkpfw V -
    good grief, this (possibly magnified by about 10 times) would fit in well with Ratte, P1000, P1500 as a late-war "let's go mad on wunderwaffen" type vehicle. Brutally German, formidably impressive.

Ricky and Roel's Medium Mk.IV -
    Glad to see you ignored that Fuller chappy. I'm afraid in this case that my own prejudices have affected my judgement on this. I've always had a soft spot for the 16 tonner, and Roel's artwork just put the icing on the cake for me.

I cannot claim to have made a thoroughly rational decision on this, although the performance of all them is fairly close and I am picking the Leviathan.

Well done everybody.
    Ricky and Roel, over to you.
    Note on English units for foreigners

16 ounces to the pound
    20 shillings to the pound
    so 1.25 shillings to one ounce (or 15 pennies)

112 pounds to the hundredweight
    but since 1 pound and 1 shilling = 1 guinea then
    106 guineas and 14 shillings to the hundredweight
    and there's about 2pi yards to the inch or something :grin:

12. Christian Ankerstjerne

via TanksinWW2
    Bah. Their turret ring is too small. For an 84 mm. gun, a turret ring of about 2,100 mm. is required. Then comes additional overhang to the sides. Being 3,175 mm. wide, this simply isn't possible, even if one turret is placed half-way behind the other.

Therefore, the German team feels confident, that as soon as the British have had their first combat 'experience' (or should be say slaughter?), they will come back for the Ragnarok!

Christian

13. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    At least you're a good loser, Christian. :wink:

14. Man

Man New Member

via TanksinWW2
    :lol: :lol:

15. Man

Man New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Okay, just for fun, I made a Mk. 2 of the Hydra! This is not meant to be judged post-game or to alter the results in any way, but Oli... if it had been like this, might it have won? :grin: :p

2x 76,2 mm F-22 artillery pieces, all other crud removed:

[​IMG]

16. Oli

Oli New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Nice one. But as I admitted, this one I couldn't judge rationally since I like the 16 tonner so much. This decision was based purely on aesthetics, so any design would have lost out to a 16 tonner - I think Ricky and Roel read my mind.
    But the Mk2 Hydra would certainly scare the shi, ahem, living daylights out my wargame opponents :grin: Whenever I used an ordinary T-35 they looked worried...

17. Man

Man New Member

via TanksinWW2
    New game!

:grin:

18. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    That might take a while. Ricky told me he wouldn't have Internet access until January 2nd or thereabouts because of the holidays and I wouldn't want to hijack this game all for myself.

Consider this a holiday break, if you consider these games work... :wink:

19. Ricky

Ricky New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Um, but we widened the hull and designed new turrets to hold the 18 pdr - it is all there in the blurb. :wink:

20. Christian Ankerstjerne

via TanksinWW2
    This is based on the specifications you presented yourself.

Christian