Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Gamers, help me out, please.

Discussion in 'Other WarGames' started by KodiakBeer, Aug 5, 2017.

1. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

I need your advice because I'm really not in the loop for these things. I'm a fudd...

My trusty old Win 7 laptop finally bit the dust and now I have a Win 10 which won't play any of my old games, which is pretty much OK because I've gotten pretty bored with all of them. I want some advice on good games to download that will work on Win 10. I don't mind paying up for good games, but I'm hesitant to buy unless I know what I'm getting, hence your advice. Any free downloads would also be just terrific, as long as it meets the criteria below.

I do not want any games that must be played online. Period. I don't have the bandwidth for any of that. Almost every damned game I've downloaded either is an online game, or won't work with Win 10 (so I don't know if it's an online game or not). I don't want to seek out some patch or fix because I never know which game folder to drop them in or how to apply them. I just want games that are designed or upgraded for Win 10, and can counted on to work for a computer dummy like myself.

I pretty much only want WWII games, in particular first person shooter games resembling MoH or CoD, though I'm pretty bored with those particular games because I've played them too often. I like any game that is similar to the WWII versions of those games.

I also like any sort of armor game, either as driver (first person shooter?) or a tactical game where you control groups of tanks.

Or, just any good WWII strategic or tactical game where you control anything from a squad up to an army. Or navy, for that matter.

What do you guys suggest I buy or download within those parameters?

Any advice would be appreciated.

2. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Get an iPad...

3. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

OK, I'll play along. What are good iPad games that fit the criteria above (so I can see if there's a Win10 version).

4. Takao

Takao Ace

Why? He's not a woman...
    Besides, paying three times what any Apple product is worth...Is...Well...Dumb.

5. Takao

Takao Ace

Is it that time of the month for KB?

Never been a fan of crApple products...Way to overpriced.

6. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

You get what you pay for...

7. Takao

Takao Ace

For legitimate free products - if you liked the old school Panzer General and Steel Panthers games - see my post here:
    http://www.ww2f.com/threads/favorite-world-war-ii-themed-games.69505/#post-810213

Matrix/Slitherine has quite an excellent selection of World War II PC games.
    Current Matrix/Slitherine catalog can be found at their respective sites - The catalog is the same for both sites, so it does not matter which one you choose.
    Matrix Games - What's Your Strategy?
    Slitherine - What's Your Strategy?

Battlefront.com is another excellent publisher of WW2 Games:
    battlefront.com

KJ Jr and KodiakBeer like this.
  8. Takao

Takao Ace

Which, in the case of Apple, all you get is a far lighter wallet.

von Poop likes this.
  9. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

I've been using iPads for 4 years now...portability is second to none. Only play free games and they keep me going....usually about 8 games at a time is my limit. I can play Injustice2, world of tanks and War machines on it...so I'm not looking elsewhere

10. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

So, CAC, those iPad games are online? If so, I couldn't use them anyway because the cell reception is crap where I live. You get one or two bars at best and can only make voice calls or text.

11. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

I'll look at all of those. I hope they are clearly labeled as Win 10 compatible. I've had very little luck finding games that work on this platform.

12. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Yeah no, that's no good then Kodiak...pity, online games are better IMO...you can play the world. I play against Chinese, Russian, heaps of Yanks and Poms! Plus I'm a fan of in game purchases, never spend much but a strategic spend can really improve gaming experience...the Australian government has a mandate to give ALL Australia high speed internet called the NBN...this includes all remote areas...not there yet but will be eventually....you should come to Australia mate (read the NT)!

13. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

If we ever get stuff like high speed Internet and good phone reception, I'll know the place has become too crowded and it's time to leave.

CAC likes this.
  14. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

Strategy wildcard.:
    Napoleon Total War.
    Old (2010), but still good if you've not encountered it. Classic, even. And cheap (due to oldness. Always someone selling steam keys for next to nothing.).
    One of the few games I go back to on a regular basis. Should run absolutely fine on recent non-gamey sorta laptops. Fine on W10.
    Free demo on steam.

What spec is the Laptop, KB?

15. Pacifist

Pacifist Active Member

FPS
    Zombie Army Trilogy: 1945 Hitler turns Germany into zombieland.
    Sniper Elite: Similar game without the zombie aspect.

16. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

Every game I've tried that says "Win 7 or later", or "Vista or later" and ought to run, won't run on WIN 10. I'm really hesitant to pay money unless it is specifically upgraded, patched, fixed for Win 10 and clearly says Win 10 rather than "or later."

The computer is an Asus with Intel Core 13, and extra ram. It should run most games just fine, if I can find one that is patched for Win 10.

17. jagdpanther44

jagdpanther44 Battlefield wanderer

Windows Compatibility Mode can often fix problems with older software that won't run on newer Microsoft operating systems. I recently dug out my old iL2 Sturmovik Forgotten Battles flight sim to give it another bash only to find that it wouldn't work on my version of Windows.

However, after setting it up in compatibility mode it ran fine so I'm now back up flying the old kite and getting shot down by everyone that has me in their sights!

CAC likes this.
  18. Takao

Takao Ace

Check to see if these older games use SAFEDISC or SecuROM as their DRM(copy protection). If so, you are probably SOL, outside of dual-booting the laptop or finding hacked/cracked no-CD versions of said games.

I think you mean Intel Core i3. My laptop has the same, while my desktop is an i7.

Could also be a video issue with the laptop video card(just a guess).

Like jagdpanter44 says try the Windows Compatibility Mode.

Another thought, pertaining to dual-booting...
    If the harddrive on your old Win7 laptop is in good working order. Remove the harddrive, and get a conversion kit that will turn the laptop HD into an external HD. These conversion kits are fairly cheap and and installing the old HD into one is quick and easy.
    Turn a laptop hard drive into a portable drive

Just jack the, now, external HD into one of the laptop's USB ports and you are good to go.
    Boot to Win 7 or Win 10 as needed.

That way you will still have Win7 that will run the old games and all the benefits of the newer more powerful laptop.

19. Takao

Takao Ace

Different strokes for different folks...

My aunt is all about Apple PCs and my parents love their iPad...Up until they have tech issues with them. Me, I prefer versatility over portability.

20. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

I have downloaded a few Matrix games (Close Combat Series) and they have needed a few setting tweaks in Win. Nothing major.