Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Games about ww2

Discussion in 'The Members Lounge' started by Revere, Sep 22, 2005.

1. Caroline phpbb3

Caroline phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    That is great to hear. :D There are too many people out there who will not confess that they love.

2. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    That's because it's usually not a good thing, and nothing to be proud of.

I haven't played Axis & Allies for a long time because nobody wants to play the game with me (they all claim it takes too long). I do love it however, as a WW2 game it's very nicely done.

Most WW2 FPS games are appalingly unrealistic to a point where they get utterly ridiculous, mostly because they tend to focus on one person and his heroic deeds which misses the point of World War II completely. I prefer something on a more tactical or strategical scale, and even though it lacks any kind of graphics at all, Decisive Battles: the Ardennes Offensive is exactly the kind of game I like.

3. Zhukov_2005

Zhukov_2005 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    :lol: What was her name?

I entirely agree. If you want a good tactical/strategic game for the PC, look into Command and Conquer Red Alert 2 (I have it if you would like it, my computer can't handle it anymore) and get the WWII mod for it, although the game is unbelievable fun by itself.

I too love A&A, although I understand how hard it is to find someone to play, especially someone with skill!

Once I get my set back, you, me, Simon, and Me262 (I think he said he had a set) should play a game via email. It works perfectly although you have to have alot of trust in the other players, but that souldn't be a problem here. :D

4. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Actually that statement was based on observation, not experience.

Right now I'm pretty hooked to Rome: Total War, which satisfies my taste for historically tainted violence. :D

That'd be really cool! I'd look forward to that...

5. Ricky

Ricky Well-Known Member

via TanksinWW2
    You must have observed some bad situations.
    :cry:

6. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Yeah, they were called "love". ;)

It's actually a bit of a long story that doesn't get recieved well anywhere I tell it, but based on my own objective judgment of observations made, I have come to believe that the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is right about love: "avoid if at all possible". :D

7. Danyel Phelps

Danyel Phelps Active Member

via TanksinWW2
    That isn't true, Roel - I completely understood your stance on that particular emotion when you told me about it. I used to think about the same way untill I met "her," but I do understand and accept that from a logical standpoint, love is a lesser evil.

[​IMG]
    Indifference will always win because love is dumb.

8. Grieg

Grieg New Member

via TanksinWW2
    There is only one FPS video game of WW II that is persistent, massive and multiplayer; World War II Online ;)

9. Danyel Phelps

via TanksinWW2
    ...Not to mention going down the toilet faster than a, well, you know.

Rats interactive is loosing it. Seriously. The game won't make it to the North Africa and Eastern Front expansion.

10. Canadian_Super_Patriot

Canadian_Super_Patriot recruit

via TanksinWW2
    First, is their a store bought disk required ? , or can it be downloaded ?

Can it be played with people playing on different computers ?

11. Zhukov_2005

Zhukov_2005 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I assume you mean Axis and Allies, which is played on a board. You can play it via email, where each opponent sets up their own board, records other players movements and places pieces respectively, and then forms their own moves, purchases, etc so the other players can do the same.

You need nothing but an email account, a set of A&A, and trust among the players (dice play a major part of the game).

Another great game that can be converted to a WWII setting and played online is Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis. This game is my all time favorite and is really up there for realism. It is a first/third person shooter that allows you to control a 12 man squad (on foot or in vehicles)and lets you drive tanks, jeeps, pilot jets, helicopters, man turrets, etc. Mods on the net can add new units, weapons, soldiers, turn the game from a WWII game to a vietnam game.

The models are quite spectacular looking for the games age, and its nice to see that an Easy Eight can still take out post WWII Soviet tanks with a well placed shell or two. :D

12. Grieg

Grieg New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Danyel wrote:

Maybe, but that is a prediction I have been hearing for about 4 years now ;)

13. Danyel Phelps

via TanksinWW2
    And each year they loose a bigger and bigger chunk of their player base. I was a former member of Totenkopf (One of the game's old school major Panzer units) and I am a good friend of the leader. Here's the breakdown of the game:

The Allies are full of people who want to be General Patton.

The Axis has allot of history buffs and number crunchers.

The Allies have won only one campaign out of the (I believe) 9 played, and that was because there was a bug with the Panhard French scout car where the gunner could not be killed. Therefore, they call for constant nerfs to Axis equipment.

Axis were the first to set up an actual high-command via teamspeak and an intricate email network, putting all the player-run units under a strict chain of command to enable effective execution of offensive and defensive actions. These players are getting fed up with being nerfed.

Allied planes constantly fly five meters off the deck because Allied machine guns are sufficient to destroy any Axis tank. In addition, every Allied plane carries a bomb.

Axis formations cannot defend themselves from said planes because Tanks are unable to damage planes with their main gun or machineguns. AA fire is completely ass in that game.

Axis has significantly weaker tanks, AT guns, and general gear than the Allies.

Allies continue to whine and moan for nerfs.

Bugs still exist in the game from day one.

8.8cm AT gun does not penetrate Sherman glacis at any range.

Game is coded specifically for Windows 98. Anyone with Windows XP experiences unplayable performance in cities.

The game has become a pre-camp fest.

They already cancelled their re-release. This game will not make it to late 2007 for this Expansion that is supposed to save it. Cornered Rats Software already openly stated to its player base that the future is with new players, and they don't care for the die-hard fans.

14. Ricky

Ricky Well-Known Member

via TanksinWW2
    Pardon my ignorance - what is a 'nerf'?

15. Danyel Phelps

via TanksinWW2
    'Nerf' is a gamer term for when something gets taken down a notch. For example:

Lets say that the Tiger is killing Stuarts (Unlikely since the 8.8cm in that game is bugged) and the Allies don't like it. They'll @#$%^ about it, and the development team will most likely do something to weaken the Tiger such as make it's top armor susceptable to fighterplane machineguns (I wouldn't dount it for a second.) This is called a 'nerf.'

Some nerfs are indeed needed in some games, and sometimes it happens just through sheer weight of one group of people complaining loud enough.

16. Grieg

Grieg New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Danyel wrote:

I played both sides though I played Axis about 75% of the time. I met good people on both sides. Some would say that the Axis is full of people who want to be Rommell. That's life...that's video games *shrug*
    A healthy rivalry, even some animosity helps make the game more interesting.

Your argument is contradictory. The Axis have it so bad yet they win every campaign (according to you). How is that?

ps..I have shot down allied planes with a Panzer II multiple times also with the Bofors, Flak 30 and 88mm. It's not easy, but should it be?
    (I know the 88mm isn't set up with AA sights or fuzed shells yet the time a Blenheim was flying directly over my 88mm while lining up for a bombing run was the most beautiful sight I saw in the game..boom..one shot, direct hit..he almost crashed on top of my gun ;)

I have XP,as have most of the players/subscribers. What you describe has not been my experience.

It's a tactic like others that one must deal with. Why haven't all the fledgling"Gen. Pattons"used this "exploit" to win more campaigns, do you think?

Sorry Danyel..you sound like a disgruntled player to me. Your arguments are not rational or well thought out but seem to be based on an emotional response IMO.

17. Danyel Phelps

via TanksinWW2
    Oh it's on.

The Axis is much more organized and the people generaly tend to stick to their roles due to the well established High Command. The Allies disn't have this untill the devs had key members of the German High Command come over and help the allies construct one of their own, and they still do not use it.

No contradiction. You can win with inferior equipment. The reason the Axis win is due to the realistic reasons, but with unrealistic (play-balanced) equipment. This is making allot of players mad on both sides.

Tank armament no longer harms straifing aircraft. You may have shot down a plane with a Panzer II before, but you cannot now. And I never said that AA guns couldn't hurt aircraft, but they are complete ass to use. There have been proven and recorded incidents of the (in-game) 8.8cm nailing aircraft right in the nose, and the aircraft still being able to get home.

What are your system specs?

Conceded. That is a valid point of view.

Seeing as I only played for 2 weeks and could identify all the aforementioned problems, I wouldn't say that I was able to become attached in any way to the game. My arguments are rational with proof supporting them (Just look at the WWII online forums.) Your rebutals, however, are empty and hold zero substance.

18. Grieg

Grieg New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Danyel wrote:
    Another way of looking at it is who can better judge the game, someone who played for 2 weeks or someone who played for 2 1/2 years? The readers (with no dog in this fight) can judge for themselves, I suppose.
    We will have to agree to disagree on this subject.

19. ToTXfire

ToTXfire New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I have to interject here and explain what I know about WWIIOL/BE.

I have been a subscribing member since 9/11/01, I've seen the barren landscape that was and I know what the game has become.

The equalization the Rats (CRS the producers) havew implemented allows Allied aircraft equipped with cannons to track any Axis tracked vehicle. But, due to complaints by the Allied HC the Axis A2A cannons have little effect if any on the Allied tanks. The 37mm cannon wielded by the Axis tier 1 rides has been "nerfed" beyond comprehension. Things I could do with it and things that can not be accomplished anymore are abundant. The Allies are equipped with true AP ammo while the Axis are stuck using APHE. Not a big deal unless you consider the M5 Stuarts ability to outgun a PZ4G at 1500 meters+. The 88 has trouble knocking out even the most simplistic of the Allied rides including the Renault R35 A13 Cruiser tank etc etc.

I recently inquired with one of the Rats directly and was informed that the game seems to be unfair from both sides of the fence. Thus the bitter rivalry the game promotes between the "old timers", like myself, on opposing sides. The current set up in BE promotes adhesion to one side in particular by ALL players as penalties are supposed to be implemented to limit the tourism that the delay in new equipment has promoted. (All units above tier 1 need to be RDP'd. The amount of damage your "factories" takes delays the time it takes the units chosen by your HC to appear in the spawn lists.)

Now I ask you to clear all else from your mind for one moment. If the game you have subscribed faithfully to informed you that in order to insure the games survival you need to go out and purchase the new and unchanged from what you already play re-release, would you get a good feeling about it's future? How about if the production company started deleting posts that made any kind of derrogatory point toward the game in question? What if players who persisted to point out flaws in the games mechanics, equipment or performance were banned with no hope for return?!

That is the game I used to live to play (well nearly so) has become. 60% of the playerbase (a rumor I heard CRS will not elaborate publicly) has simply unsubscribed. The particular examples I gave are my partial viewpoint. There are more but I fear that I may cause the early expiration of some of this forums subscribers should I ramble on further.

WWIIOL/BE IS TEH SUXXORS!! ALL YOUR $$ AND TIME ARE BELONGS TO US!

20. Danyel Phelps

via TanksinWW2
    Salute!

Thanks for clearing it up, Crossfire.