Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Gator Navy resources?

Discussion in 'The War at Sea' started by Varyag, Aug 21, 2006.

1. Varyag

Varyag New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I'm looking for high quality websites dealing with the Gator Navy and the amphibious assault ships, Wasp class and Tarawa class, in particular.

I know http://www.navy.mil/ but are looking for more detail. Book recommendations are welcome too.

2. PMN1

PMN1 recruit

via TanksinWW2
  3. Varyag

Varyag New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Thanks. I have this website in my favourites folder, but I never thought of looking there.

4. Blaster

Blaster New Member

via TanksinWW2
    One of the positives of being a member of a forum: if you ask for info about something, you're bound to get it, sooner or later.

5. Varyag

Varyag New Member

via TanksinWW2
    True.

And please consider this as an invitiation to a debate as much as a question.

6. PMN1

PMN1 recruit

via TanksinWW2
  7. Grieg

Grieg New Member

via TanksinWW2
    They sure are a step up from the Iwo Jima class, one of which LPH-7 USS Guadalcanal was my home sweet home for 7 months in 1973 whilst steaming around and about the Mediterranean and the North Atlantic :wink:

8. Varyag

Varyag New Member

via TanksinWW2
    That didn't sound too bad, at least not the bit in the Mediterranean.

[​IMG]

Which one is you? :wink:

9. Grieg

Grieg New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Well that is a Ch-46 on deck which is what I flew in mostly. I don't know when that photo was taken but it must have been during a time that the ship wasn't deployed because there are no other planes on deck. That CH-46 is probably a Navy bird rather than a USMC one as they had one attached to the ship. Thanks for the photo, brings back memories :D

ps- the liberty calls in the Med were pretty nice however once the '73 Arab Israeli war began it wasn't fun anymore. We steamed around in circles near the mouth of the Suez canal for 48 days straight in case we were needed to evacuate American citizens. Then we sat in Souda Bay, Crete for weeks..all this time without liberty. We did manage to make it back home by Christmas time though.

pss- After being deactivated in and in reserve for a few years the Guadalcanal was sunk as a target last year :(

10. Hoosier phpbb3

Hoosier phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I seem to recall seeing TV coverage detailing a new class of Amphibious Assault ships that are currently under construction... the first ship in that line utilizes much steel salvaged from the Twin Towers in New York City.
    I cannot for the life of me remember it's name!

Tim

11. corpcasselbury

corpcasselbury New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Re: Gator Navy resources?b

I did a cruise with my squadron aboard USS GUAM in 1981. It was memorable, to say the least. First, they were going to berth us in the deck division's berthing area, which was a pig sty, to be frank. Our CO took one look at it, then went and got us bedded down in an empty Marine berthing space, God bless him! Say what you want about the Marines, they do at least keep their quarters clean. Then we caught the edge of a hurricane (I have no idea which one) while at sea, with the ship doing 20 degree rolls and waves breaking over the bow and sounding and feeling just like someone was on deck firing the 3" guns.

I remember a story I heard once about IWO JIMA. Seems that one fine day, she was coming into Norfolk after a cruise. After berthing, officers from the naval base came aboard to inspect her. The ship was so filthy, her captain was ordered to take her back out into the bay, anchor there, and get her shipshape PDQ! The crew worked through the entire day and their efforts were enough to enable her to pass the next inspection. I have always wondered what, if anything, they did to her captain and XO for allowing the ship to fall into such a state.