Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

GB EU Refferendum June 2016 - Should the GB stay or exit the European Union? BRexit

Discussion in 'The Stump' started by Ben Dover, Mar 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ben Dover

Ben Dover Active Member

I've been to Amsterdam, reminded me of London (but then so did New York City) only, Amsterdam also felt like Croydon too, so..
    It more or less looks the same.

2. Ben Dover

Ben Dover Active Member

I honestly suck at creating threads and wish I could start a better BRexit thread, but honestly, I couldn't find one to post that little tit-bit/observation of mine.

3. Owen

Owen O

You can vote in 2017 if you like.
    I'll be doing it this year.

Ben Dover likes this.
  4. Ilhawk

Ilhawk New Member

Bowing upwards, you are right, you suck at it. You sure picked doozey. Glad you posted about WW2 or something related. Amsterdam, London, and NY similar? Wow.

5. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

The referendum is certainly needed as an electroshock . Most European ex-colonial and ex-world powers have been through similar steps (wars, occupations etc...) decades ago and have come to the same conclusions as Benjamin Franklin did in the 18th century ago (Unite or die). The Germans lost their colonial Empire after WW1 , the Dutch, Belgians , French after WW2 (following a defeat and an occupation) , but Britian came out undefeated in 1945 (but exhausted) and still has people thinking they can do better alone. It's just an utopia. We may have differences, but we need to unite to fight our common enemies (terrorism for example) .In the USA, The struggle between Virginians and Bostonians has long ended and their union with others has led to the creation of a great world power. The EU is the first economical power in the world , it could also be the first political entity ......or a mosaic of crumbles from past glory. I'm sure the British will make the right choice.

6. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

But the original idea was a trading block to break down perceived national barriers between countries which had just been through the most catastrophic war in history and prevent a repeat.
    At no point was it ever suggested that the EEC should have common laws on everything, one currency, one defence force in addition to NATO etc etc. That was all decided surreptitiously decades later by unelected faceless bureaucrats looking to build their own little empire. What "genius" decided that an area the size of Europe, with economies as different and Germany and Italy, could survive with a single currency regardless to the strength of each member's economy, given that Spain, Ireland and Greece all had to be bailed out after joining it!
    The whole idea stinks of the Sixties philosophy of "big is always better", regardless to logic or efficiency.

A-58 likes this.
  7. green slime

green slime Member

I whole heartedly agree with Skipper.

Does anyone think that each state in USA has similar economies?!?

8. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

While I agree errors were made with allowing anyone to join in, one has to admit that bailing out worked for Ireland which shows the path .
    The question is could the UK do better without the UK ? Well give it a try. I bet the stockmarkets will plunge within hours and the City banks will move to Germany and France. Not many business managers would be ready to take such a risk . The UK has to admit they are like everybody else, once they are over it they"ll have a hang over but it's their bail out to avoid isolationism and decline.

For a long time I was reluctant to have the same passport as such and such neigbour because of different culture specificities etc.. Then I realized my neigbours felt the same about me and that everybody else in the world doesn't give a shit about our local exceptions . (Joe the American probably doesn't know the difference between Dutch, Deutsch and Dane or Silezia, Cicilia and Sicily for a start. Sorry for the cheap cliché ) .

Bureaucracy is a big problem , but we have the same crap on a national level.

The question is can we still face the world alone ?

Sloniksp likes this.
  9. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Well, the failure of the EU's open borders policy in the face of the refugee crisis is a good example for me of the failure of the "one size fits all" philosophy. Controls and fences are being thrown back up quicker than you can blink.

10. green slime

green slime Member

I think it demonstrates something else entirely, but let's not get into another debate on philosophies, immigration, racism, and national priorities.

11. FalkeEins

FalkeEins Member

..apparently only Zimbabwe's economy has performed worse than Italy's over the last 20 years or so according to a recent news item. And yes, funds have to flow from the 'rich' areas to the poorer areas in Europe, that's the whole point. Letting Turkey in would be a step too far. As it is the UK has a rather different 'status within the EU, not in the Euro, not in Schengen, I fail to see how Brexit will really alter anything..

12. Ben Dover

Ben Dover Active Member

The EU is like a partnership without an exit plan for any of the partners.
    GB could leave to become like a sole trader having 100% responsibility of GB's future and none of the shared responsibility of the EU.

Like, as things stand, the UK puts in £2 billion, and countries like Germany and France take £2 billion in subsidy money and then have the cheek to say it's prosperity on their part.

13. green slime

green slime Member

Any evidence for this astounding statement?

Germany:
    Net contribution to the EU in % of GDP 0.75 %
    Net contribution to the EU per capita 270.26

The UK
    Net contribution to the EU in % of GDP 0.34 %
    Net contribution to the EU per capita 117.92

France
    Net contribution to the EU in % of GDP 0.55 %
    Net contribution to the EU per capita 176.28

From http://www.money-go-round.eu/Country.aspx?

14. Ben Dover

Ben Dover Active Member

I do, but I am having trouble inserting the image or copying the link.

It's a map of the EU showing who pays how much and who gets how much refunded.

Attached Files:

15. green slime

green slime Member

I think you may need to re-examine that image again, and see what it is actually saying....

Because if you really believe the UK is leading Italy, Greece, and Bulgaria as biggest net contributors to the Budget of the European Union.... .

16. Ben Dover

Ben Dover Active Member

Of course I do, it's just greedy governments in Europe who want GB to stay :lol:

17. green slime

green slime Member

Personally, I'm convinced the rest of the EU would do a lot better without the contrite and contrary British...

Save the EU from having to sponsor the UK to the tune of 1-2 billion Euro, which your map is suggesting.

18. Brian Smith

Brian Smith Active Member

Bridlington East Riding Yorkshire England
    Given some of the garbage posted on here you have a real cheek picking on Ben. If real life WW2 issues is your criteria not many match up to your requirements.

On Bretix; money is one issue and you need to look beyond the net contribution to see the real cost of membership. Interpreters in schools, impact on the NHS, Housing and benefits all add to the cost.

But it is migration that is driving the debate, all countries should have control of their own boarders and not be dictated to as to which and when migrants should be allowed in as the EU (mainly lead by Germany) wants to do.

Brian.

19. green slime

green slime Member

But doesn't the UK already have control of its own borders?

The only UK borders I can remember passing without showing my passport was those between England and Wales and between England and Scotland.

Ah, no I see, you are talking about boarders...

20. Brian Smith

Brian Smith Active Member

Bridlington East Riding Yorkshire England
    But the issue is the EU wants each Country to take in a set number of refugees. I think it reasonable for each country to decide if, when and how many they are willing to take. Brian

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.