Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

General Forum Info/Ideas

Discussion in 'Counter-Battery Fire' started by Peppy, Mar 27, 2007.

1. USMC

USMC Member

This by far is the best WWII site i've been on. Others have little or no activity.

2. luketdrifter

luketdrifter Ace

I agree with you there....any topic of any part of the war you can think of, you can almost bet it's been discussed in length here!!

3. Tomcat

Tomcat The One From Down Under

And if it hasn't just post a thread and it probably will be. :)

4. USMC

USMC Member

True..

5. Greg Canellis

Greg Canellis Member

In some forums, when a member posts a thread or reply, a prompt asks: "would you like to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this post? yes? no?" Is this an idea for this forum? If a post you made does not appear in the "recent posts" list, an e-mail might save some clicking to discover if anyone has answered it. Just an idea.

Greg C.

Fred Wilson likes this.
  6. Tomcat

Tomcat The One From Down Under

That does exist already mate under your user cp - settings and options - messaging and notification.

There is a drop down box there as to whether you wish to get email replies. and is also an option to also subscribe to any thread you post in, and everytime you go to your cp you can see all the new posts that you have subscribed to.

7. Greg Canellis

Greg Canellis Member

Thanks Robert, I will check that out.

Greg C.

8. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Question: If someone wants to see page 16 of a 30 page thread, how to access p16 other than going to last page and clicking back a dozen times?

9. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

I don´t know if you can go to page 16 by the site´s systems alone but I guess you can simply change the internet address for instance this page is "../page-5" and you could change it to ".../page-16".

10. Fred Wilson

Fred Wilson "The" Rogue of Rogues

The problem with this forum is that far too few people activate email notifications.
    This option would go a long way towards returning past members, who gave up on ww2f.com after our latest malware attack.
    Far too many of our best posters, experts are long gone.

11. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

Charming..Fred....Some stayed...I think we should have a forum test to prove my statement is true...
    Only one question needed...

Ok...everyone...When did ww2 start?

Simples...

12. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

This option could also go a long way towards really pissing off people who've set their notifications to exactly what they wanted.

There is no magic bullet.
    Forums wax & wane. In 2007 WW2T was a place of tumbleweed while this place was huge by comparison.
    Post on, stay as chipper as Urqh, be as Civil/interesting/argumentaive as the circumstances dictate, poke the archive (cracking archive here) and people roll up.
    We all know WW2F took a hit, but it's all better now. Banging on about how you think a place is quiet is a strong form of social poison.
    S'like steering an oil tanker; slow & steady, and you can't force anyone to play by artificial means.

What is this WW2 of which you speak? It sounds quite interesting.

4jonboy likes this.
  13. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Email notifications are not automatic, I'm not sure I'd be the one to make that so. I think the biggest problem we have here was the massive and repeated malware infections we had. Thanks be they are gone now.

Oil tanker is an apt comparison. I'm trying to lurch this beast back into motion, but it's taking some effort!

4jonboy likes this.
  14. 4jonboy

4jonboy Active Member

I'm a new kid on the block so to speak, and although I spend much more time on ww2talk because my area of interest is mainly the British 78th Infantry Division, and there are others interested in the same unit, I find that I do spend some time on here daily trying to participate in the threads.

I have noticed recently that there are new members joining this forum and long may it continue :)

Lesley

15. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

I'm no expert, but I'm still here Fred. ..Wonder if there is any way to see who is getting the most hits. Top 20...Car wreck or car designer...Urqh prolly holds the current belt , 'cause he's funny and friendly, can back it up with smart... Mr History, Mr. Von Poop[its], Mr.Price, KB, Marms, the super B's, TD, TOS, senior/junior Mr. T's, BD1, ETC....it goes on [there are way more important dudes not mentioned]. Why would you alienate yourself with that statement.

4jonboy likes this.
  16. Fred Wilson

Fred Wilson "The" Rogue of Rogues

I am just saying that people put up heartfelt requests for information, and years later, someone's research pulls up the answer.
    We see that here all the time.

IMHO it would be nice to have the option to tell people that an answer has finally come for their area of interest.

... Alternatively, perhaps Otto could put out a single batch email to invite people back.

17. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Curious as to who hasn't come back... Whom have not revisited?

Whom refuses to wear the RIBBON?

18. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

There's a ribbon?....I want a ribbon...

19. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Lol, Urqh- cheque is in the mail...Actually, U writes all my stuff....Some artists are known by their first name, only a few are known by their first letter..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGaqI20WHyk

20. lwd

lwd Ace

I don't see the unread post button any more. Something happen to it in the last week or so?