Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

"Generation Kill" redeux

Discussion in 'Military History' started by formerjughead, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Wolfy

Wolfy Ace

This is really very good and very educational.

2. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

Are you sure? It still didn't make much sense to me until I read the book, even so, I still think he was a bit of a tit.

Incidentally, I was watching the first episode with my mate the other day, he has been back from Afghan for 8 months now and was saying that when they were preparing to go out on ops there would invariably be some REMF or camp rat shouting at them about having shirts un-tucked. So they'd tuck them in until some corporal who wanted to make trouble ordered them to un-tuck them again. Ahh, army bull, gotta love it.

3. Wolfy

Wolfy Ace

You're talking about a Sergeant- Major type character, right?

4. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

Thats the one, the 'coward of Khafji' as he is known.

5. AndyPants

AndyPants Ace

i saw the series recently......taught it was great....and very realistic, talked to some friends who were over there, and they said it protrayed it very well.

6. wtid45

wtid45 Ace

I read Generation Kill some 4 years ago and found it to be a really good description of men at war I have of course the disadvantage of only commenting as one who knows such things through books documentries and forums such as this;). There is also a book called One Bullet Away, written by Nataniel Flick the LT in B Company 1 RECON but I have yet to read it.

7. Connell91

Connell91 Member

One Bullet Away was an awesome book. I literally could not put it down after reading Generation Kill. Its split into thirds starting at OCS, then it goes to Fick's time in Afghanistan and then Iraq. Its pretty cool getting Fick's portrayal of the men as their leader compared to Evan Wrights who was just a reporter. Its also interesting to read the last section where he talks about how he was treated when he returned home. Definatly a good read.

8. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

I'll have to find that Connell, I've often wondered what the men would be like from a Platoon Commanders point of view.

9. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

Sounds like it could be a good read. Does it have any pictures? I bet it does if a Marine wrote it. I'll look for it the next time I go to the place with the coffee.

10. wtid45

wtid45 Ace

Jug you will be happy to learn the book has pictures. Books and coffee does that come with a comfy chair;)

11. formerjughead

Indeed it does sir and beings Chico is a College town there is pleanty to see at any bookstore. Summer is the best time to hit the bookstores here as all the smart chicks are home for summer break leaving behind only the addle minded and easily distracted that need to make up credits....lol

12. Connell91

Connell91 Member

The book does have a pretty good amount of pictures in two different spots. A lot of them are pictures of the guys in Generation Kill as they are credited to coming out of Evan Wright's Collection.

13. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

Finally the Sgt Major makes sense to me, his comment when someone said morale was getting low makes perfect sense.

14. formerjughead

exactly!!!....give 'em something else to bitch about. That's why I told you you'd figure him out in the last episode.

15. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

Yeah, I'd totally missed it every time I watched it before and then this weekend remembered it and click.

You could hear the penny drop a mile off!

16. WotNoChad?

WotNoChad? Member

Finally tracked down a copy of this on DVD at a reasonable price, barely beating the airing of it which starts on Wednesday on Channel4 at around 11.20.

I've watched the first four episodes and I'm really enjoying it and even hate a good few of the brass already. All-in-all a mature production I think.

Sadly nowt similar about us Brits... Mark of Cain was not only pretty poor but it was tainted by the makers political stance... meanwhile the proposed production about Johnson Beharry VC remains written off as it was by the BBC.

Maybe Dan Mill's "Sniper One" will become a prog, but somehow I doubt it.

17. wtid45

wtid45 Ace

I would like to get it on DVD because im not watching it at that silly time why so late! and as for a Brit prog on similar lines a adaptation of the 3 para book by patrick Bishop would be a good watch.

18. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

What's with the pictures? Too many words bore "Marine-type readers" Hmmmmmmm?

19. formerjughead

It took you 4 months and that's the best you can come up with? Jeeze O' Pete!!!

20. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

I was just checking to see if you were paying attention....