Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

"Generation Kill" redeux

Discussion in 'Military History' started by formerjughead, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

Sadly, from talking to folks who were there, Dan Mill's book seems to contain a lot which simply isn't true. Still a great read but ultimately one for the 'Tesco recommended' shelf rather than 'all time classics,' I also suspect that it wouldn't make as good a series as GK simply because ultimately there isn't all that much in it. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it but then again I read it in a day, that suggests to me that the scope for a full length dramatisation is fairly limited.

That said, I certainly reckon the book about the paras would be good. Did any of you guys see 'Occupation' with Nesbit etc? Interesting but not particularly good I thought.

2. WotNoChad?

WotNoChad? Member

No idea, in the States it originally ran at 9pm. Maybe Channel4 feel uncomfortable with it as it's not an over simplified bash-the-troops-a-thon. Yes 3 para is very illuminating, and does have some gut-wrenching moments.

That's a shame, we're big fans of our local PWRR in our house, and I thought the overnight stag with the borrowed Barrett very filmic. That said 3 para is better written. Tbh either would suit me if it gets across in some small way what the forces are actually dealing with, rather than the detached angle we seem to have served up regularly at the moment. Although more recently we've seen a more developed coverage it does often appear to be little more than sports results.

No didn't see Occupation.

3. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

Don't bother, it's crap.

I'm a big fan of PWRR too, they were my home regiment for a long time and they were also my grandfathers regiment. The book was great, just not sure it was quite filmworthy.

4. Jaeger

Jaeger Ace

Any of you lot read Lt. Fick's book " one bullet away"?

5. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

No I have NOT!!.........I will get it this week and get right on it though. I am out at my wife's parents, who are one light bulb away from being Amish. Just found out tonight that my mother in law donated my copy of "Battle Cry" to good will.........

6. Jaeger

Jaeger Ace

7. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

From what I hear it is excellent so I'll probably pick it up at some point next year.